first background for Indiana Jones Project

Started by Kaio, Fri 24/08/2007 19:54:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaio

hello there!
Maybe you remember me, I'm part of a new Indiana Jones fangame called "Iron Phoenix". I've shown here some Indy-Sprites (which are overdone and basicly ready for use) and now I got a first background. It's supposed to be a old monastery at night, in which Indy is sneaking around. here it is:

It's basicly the first background I've ever done and so I just would love to get some hints from people, who are kinda "professionals"  ;). I already know that this style differs a bit from the classical Lucas Arts - Fate of Atlantis Style, basicly because I didn't used "Deluxe Paint". Keep also in mind, that this background is 320*200, because its a kinda entrace-scene, where, just like in FoA, the main GUI is hidden. I would be realy thankfull for everyone, who wants to give me some comments!  ;) Thx, Kaio

Mazoliin

Well, the only thing I can see that looks wrong is that the edge of the monastery is awfully smooth.
I think they sould be more like bricks, sharp edges. Bare in minde that sharp edges can also be smooth, if you wan't them to look old.

zabnat

Few things I would do to make it more pleasing to my eye.

First the thing Monkey Entertainment already mentioned about the edge of the brick wall. Also you could add some chaos to the bricks overall, like having a brick here and there to be little off place. Also some general ruining (not if it's a right word) for the building could be done.

All the lines seem to be black or at leas very dark. Somehow it makes it look like more like cartoon drawing or something (difficult to explain).

I would also try out some different dithering methods (like pattern etc.).

Maybe the moon light could bounce a bit from the edges?

Eigen

I did a quick paintover, which probably isn't very good but still. And maybe it got too dark but looks fine on my monitor.

+ Added some more shadows and highlights
+ Add blueish hue to everything to make it more like a night-scene
+ Rough edges on the stones
+ More of those plants on the wall

edit: added brightness

I hope this helps.

Tuomas

It looks quite working in a way, I'd probably keep it that way. One thing though. I can't see a damn thing. It's like the screen was black apart from the moon.

Afflict

DutchMarco

Quote from: Afflict on Sat 25/08/2007 10:30:21
Too dark :P

I would also say too linear.

I'm afraid too dark is also my opinion. Or at least too much black in the middle. It could do with some lighter area in the middle. Maybe add some grey details inside the monastery to break up the large black plane?

loominous

The first thing I'd try to work out is this:

(not animated)

This is the image scaled down quite a bit. The main problem, as I see it, is that my eye is attracted to the upper right, to the moon, secondly to the upper arch of the building. Unless something will be descending from the moon, to then hover at the arch, this is probably not the ideal solution.

Thing is, I don't think the image is necessarily too dark, just too dark in the wrong places.

So what I would first do is to consider what the important/interesting parts of the image are. If there are none, then I'd add some, as it will be hard to keep it from being boring without something to look at. After that I'd make sure that when seen in a small format like this, my eye will go to those areas before anything else, even though you probably can't see what they're supposed to be in a thumbnail size. The point is to get the eye to go there, to then find out. Can think of it as large arrows pointing towards an area.

To get the eye to go to areas, contrast of different kinds are used, whether it's value contrast (brights against darks), colour contrast (warms against colds), shape contrast (round shapes against hard edges), sharpness contrast (sharp objects against blurred) etc. So if you make an object bright, warm, round, and sharp, against a background that's dark, cold, boxy and blurry, it will be mighty tricky to miss it. Placement is also important. If you place two dots on a blank paper, and put one in the center and one in the lower corner, then the center one will most likely get attention first and be consider the important one.

Not all of these things will be necessary to attract attention, but the important thing is to lead the eye to the areas you want it to go. While not all interesting areas must be screaming to be looked at, enough areas to create interest must be, or the viewer will ignore them all. I love it when I discover nice little details in an image after a while, but I must've been drawn into the image to ever even find them.

Anyway, I'd work this out in sketch form trying to improve any other area, as many things might get taken out or revamped, and taking stuff out that you're happy with and have spent time can be quite heart breaking.

Good luck!
Looking for a writer

cobra79

It is the same location, same photo reference and the same project.

x2

Tell me what you think. I am especially interested if there are shadows in a full moon night, if so how they would look like and if the shading or highlights are believable as they are. Any other critique is is welcome too of course.

Edit: Thank you. I changed the floor tile color and added a knight statue.

nihilyst

Wow, cobra, that looks very atmospheric. And the light coming from the moon also casts shadows; they're as sharp as shadows from sunlight. I think you captured the mood very well.

InCreator

I like everything but color of the tiles on the ground.
Maybe lower saturation a bit?

DutchMarco

i's almost pefect now.apart from the 2 small openings:a bit flat, perhaps you could fill up the darkness like you did so well with the central opening.

Stupot

Quote from: forest_guru on Thu 30/08/2007 01:03:19
Knight have too short legs :)

Haha... True dat!!!
I can picture him on a quest for the king, galloping through the forest on the back of a tiny little shire pony.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk