Ben Jordan Case 6: Scourge of the Sea People *Bug Fixed*

Started by Grundislav, Thu 30/08/2007 04:43:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Reaper

Quote from: Jon on Fri 31/08/2007 11:49:18

Edit: Also, is there a bonus of some sort if you get 107/107?

Spoiler
I had 107/107 at the end. There was nothing special to see
[close]

m0ds

Ah yeah I just remembered Grundislav is a silly dwad so I won't be downloading this game or any of the other BJ's.

GarageGothic

Hey, Grundislav - how come you haven't pimped your developer diary in the forum? I only discovered it by accident today. Interesting reading, and that background for BJ7 looks awesome. Does the San Silvestro church actually play a part in the game, or is it just a setting for more Vatican intrigue? I researched it a bit and saw that they allegedly have the head of John the Baptist there (hmmm, "The Baptist's Head" would fit with number of letters for the title, though it rather conjures up images of decapitated rednecks). The head of Baphomet, the Knights Templar... I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Vel

Once in a year I'd have computer problems and just then, a new BJ is released! It's great that you finished it Grund, and I'll play it ASAP.

Grundislav

Quote from: GarageGothic on Fri 31/08/2007 23:00:39
Hey, Grundislav - how come you haven't pimped your developer diary in the forum? I only discovered it by accident today. Interesting reading, and that background for BJ7 looks awesome. Does the San Silvestro church actually play a part in the game, or is it just a setting for more Vatican intrigue? I researched it a bit and saw that they allegedly have the head of John the Baptist there (hmmm, "The Baptist's Head" would fit with number of letters for the title, though it rather conjures up images of decapitated rednecks). The head of Baphomet, the Knights Templar... I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I believe in viral marketing.  Obviously, it worked!

I'll let you come up with your own theories regarding the role of San Silvestro for now.

Dualnames

Just a tip. I won't say if the game is good, because regarding the Ben Jordan series I take quality for granted. However I'm gonna give you a tip. I started playing the series after I saw your teaser for this game. I think it would be a good addition to add it here, since it's a very good teaser. Just a thought.
I'll let you carry on, mingling with the bodies..eh.. games that is.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Jhumjhum

At last another BJ game! Congratulations Grundislav. I'm starting it right now.

stacygibbs

I've been waiting for this one. I downloaded it earlier today, played it through and thoroughly enjoyed it. Beautifully done. Thanks for sharing this with us Francisco! :)

splat44

I just complete it.

Great job Francisco!

I like when it continue from previous game.

Groogokk

I just completed the game and I thought it was great. I liked the (however small) love story and found myself rooting for Ben when Alice went walking off with that shirtless gigolo. The music was *great*; my favourites were the tracks in the village, in the oracle's cave and at the ending. The puzzles were straightforward, yes, but that was part of the game's charm for me, as it made the game flow with some pauses, but without any overly frustrating halts. I never thought, "Ah, that's just too easy". There are just too many games out there that get me to the point where I start using every item I have with every other item randomly just because I have absolutely no idea what to do. I'm glad BJ6 is not one of them. I agree would be cool if you made exits more visible and if you shortened the walking time.

Overall: Great work!

Mike S

I'm playing it a 2nd time around - that's how good it is. However, Grundislav, I have to say a few things.

First, there's a glitch in the room with the Sea People leader. You can swim behind the mural.

I shared my opinion with Simon Booth as he saw Ben and Alice kissing - finally!

I was expecting a connection between Alice and Smailholm, due to a tombstone in the Smailholm graveyard with the Wilkins name. In fact, the tombstone reads Alice Wilkins!

I noticed a dramatic change in the style of music. I did prefer the old style, but since apparantly the old composer now has a full-time job, it looks like we won't be seeing it again.

I found the ending sequence somewhat easy. Well, I guess there hasn't been really a difficult Ben Jordan ending.

I didn't find the walking time much of a burden. The only really frustrating part of the game was when I had to distill the water to meet the Oracle - I had no idea what to put water in.

>:( Thanks alot Grundislav, now you're making me play through the whole series again! Well, there goes another day or two of my life immersed in the great universe of Ben Jordan: Paranormal Investigator.

For now, here's my ratings of the series:

Case 1 - 6/10 - It was good. A little boring at some parts, nonetheless it was good.
Case 2 - 7/10 - A notch up from Case 1.
Case 3 - 10/10 - This WAS my favorite.
Case 4 - 10/10 - One of my favorites as well.
Case 5 - 9/10 - I liked the atmosphere, I liked the gameplay, but I don't believe it to be as good as Cases 3 or 4.
Case 6 - 11/10 - Now THIS is my favorite. Absolutely amazing, Grundislav. I think the reason it's my favorite is because things are finally starting to unravel. All the things I've noticed in previous cases are starting to be integrated into new storylines, such as the Wilkins connection in Smailholm.

stevetheblack

I've just finished this game (after having spent the last couple of days catching up on games 3-5 which were sitting unplayed on my hard drive.  Bloody uni work!) and I have to say its pretty awesome.

Until I played this I would have to say that number 4 was my favourite, but this totally overtook it by such a wide margin!  It's nice to see the over arching plot start to reveal itself too.

Keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to the next one :)

Nlogax

I agree with most of the compliments and criticisms of the game. Certainly there aren't many freeware writers out there on par with Grundislav; rather than getting too het up with the imperfections with the game, maybe we should be grateful that there are people out there making games of the quality of the BJ series.

The quality of the stories and writing in the majority of AGS game is pretty poor, but authors like Grundislav and Yahtzee are a cut above.

Looking forward to BJ7.

sergiocornaga

Finished it... an adequate addition to the series.

Stupot

This is a great game. But there was one thing missing...

Spoiler

"G. R. U. N. D... i s l a v grundislav"
[close]

Simply unforgivable  ;)

m0ds

Ali

Huzzah! I'm going to give those sea people such a scourging...

Thanks Grundislav.

Pumaman

Aww, don't AGA and scotch look cute having their romantic bonfire ;)

deadsuperhero

Just beat it, awesome game!
The ending was highly satisfying, especially when Simon barges in.
Teehee.
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk