Ben Jordan Case 6: Scourge of the Sea People *Bug Fixed*

Started by Grundislav, Thu 30/08/2007 04:43:03

Previous topic - Next topic

CosmoQueen

Just finished the game and it was awesome! I was definitely pleased with the ending.

I look forward to your next one! Thanks for all your hard work Grundislav! ;D
KPop and AGS....................that is my life.

InCreator

Quote from: Nlogax on Sun 02/09/2007 09:23:55
I agree with most of the compliments and criticisms of the game. Certainly there aren't many freeware writers out there on par with Grundislav; rather than getting too het up with the imperfections with the game, maybe we should be grateful that there are people out there making games of the quality of the BJ series.

The quality of the stories and writing in the majority of AGS game is pretty poor, but authors like Grundislav and Yahtzee are a cut above.

Looking forward to BJ7.

I second this and admit that I think that I was a bit too harsh on my previous post.
Then again, I've always been a true fan of BJ series and since I'm a game maker too, I maybe see too much things from developers point of view and all those little things I would made better so It'd be a game of my dreams.

But it's not my game, but Grundislav's and as BJ series tend to be, a damn good one.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

QuoteAnd they DIE! Awesome

PLEASE tell me that WASN'T a spoiler! I've been reading this thread very carefully, avoiding spoilers, counting the days until I have the time to play this game. CJ's post (an uncommon event outside the tech forum) caught my eye, and read it, and thought it was an in-game joke, referring to two characters. And your reply, m0ds, made me think that those two characters die.

PLEASE tell me that I've got it wrong, and that you didn't just spoil some part of the game for me.

Alliance, same comment for your 2nd sentence. Sheesh. What's so hard about using spoiler tags, especially in a game that's been as highly antecipated as this?
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Claudia

Jhumjhum

The most interesting thing in the BJ games (apart from story and puzzles) is the setting in various countries.

I got to explore scotland, Japan and even Greece. It would be great if a Ben Jordan game featured India as well!

MillsJROSS

Another good installment. The music was great, the graphics were consistent, and the story, and what was hinted at, was fun.

Criticisms:(And I haven't read anyone else's posts, so excuse me if I repeat something someone else has griped about): SPOILER WARNING
Spoiler
I hate it when Ben says "Hi, bye" type of dialog. If there is nothing currently in the dialog tree, then he shouldn't say anything.

I thought directing the ship was awkward. I would have preferred a map interface, and if you wanted to just see the ship, you could have clicked the ship. It was just annoying, when most of the time I was on the ship I intended to go somewhere, rather than just be on the ship. I understand why it was done, but I think there was a more elegant solution.

Killing the monster was very reminiscent of the Longest Journey Scene with the monster. There was nothing to really fear, and I just didn't understand what Ben couldn't have distracted the monster himself.

While I did think the drinking game was a bit silly, I did love the solution.
[close]

Overall, the game was great. What you do wonderfully, in all these games, is you have the ability to set a mood, which goes a long way. As always, looking forward to the next installment.

-MillsJROSS

veryweirdguy

I just finished it and thought it was a very fine game! I like how the last two are being set up. I have a couple of theories and such myself, but I won't say anything here for now in case I am horribly wrong!

Overall I would give Grundi's work an A-, it would be an A++ were it not for one key missed opportunity:

I'm was disappointed in the colour of these cups Mister!

Vel

Another good Ben Jordan case! I'll post my review soon.

nihilyst

Reading Mills critics, I have also one: I found it very annoying to talk to the fisherman over and over again, when I wanted to go sailing. After the first time, there should be a faster option, like using the ship or something.

Claudia

I need help getting past that siren. Can anyone help me????

CosmoQueen

vict0r

Hmm... Never played any of these games actually. Maybe I should give it a go...?

Grundislav

Quote from: veryweirdguy on Mon 03/09/2007 21:30:28
I'm was disappointed in the colour of these cups Mister!

Ha, I considered making them blue for a split second, but I figured that's been done to death, and didn't want to make such an obvious reference.  If it makes you happy, there is a blue cup in Case 7.

Also, I'm curious to hear your theories!

Brittany

Grundislav will you marry me?
that or i might kidnap you and force you to make games.. misery-style.

jk but.. seriously, think about it.

Stupot

OK... a theory of sorts.

Spoiler

Alice is not who she seems.
She knows more about Ben than possibly he even knows himself.  It was her who dug up the box in the 'sun-tan lotion' cave... I don't know how she managed to get them to there and make it seem like Ben's idea...
Unless... everyone in the airport (taxi driver, black woman) were part of some big conspiracy and lied to Ben about not being able to go to Athens... Just to direct him to Angry Anna (or whatever the place is called again).

The Monster at the end was also strangely humanoid... Maybe he was just a guy in costume and didn't really kill the people on the beach (they were in on it, too and just made pretend drag marks in the sand and walked off).  This would explain why he doesn't kill simon...

(okay it doesn't explain why he kills Ban if you let him, but the idea is you're not supposed to let him, so in the complete true version of the game, Ben lives, therefore the Monster hasn't killed anyone.....

This would also explain the lack of police... if nobody has really died or gone missing then of course the police have no interest.

But theres definitely a conspiracy, and Alice is definitely in on it.  The last six cases, and maybe the 7th, too, have all just been mere training exercises for the real test which lies in Case 8...
[close]

Tenuous and roundabout theory I know, but it's just a couple of Idea's I had, most of which came to me as I was writing.

olafmoriarty

To be honest, my personal theory is that

Spoiler
Since everybody expects Alice for everything, it would be a brilliant plot twist if the whole betrayal thing was done by Simon.

Alice IS more than meets the eye, didn't someone say that one of the tombstones in Smailholm said "Alice Wilkins"? ... But I'm rooting for Simon to be some kind of bad-ass, too. After all, he's the one who went missing in nr. 50, and how come he and Alice are ALWAYS doing things together?

And Percy is obviously a part of things too, of course.
[close]

CosmoQueen

Spoiler
Oh yeah Percy's definitely up to something. It really hit me when the professor said that he never heard of him.
[close]

veryweirdguy

Quote from: Grundislav on Tue 04/09/2007 04:25:28
Ha, I considered making them blue for a split second, but I figured that's been done to death

Funnily enough, they seemed to stand out more to me as red than they would have blue. I thought it was some kind of anti-reference. But that's more my problem than the game's of course :P

Anyhoo, I wasn't going to discuss theories really because this isn't Lost or something, I thought there would only be a handful of people who would be interested.

But nonetheless:

Spoiler
When the oracle mentioned a betrayal, I immediately thought Simon for some reason. No logic behind that, it was just my first thought, and I was gutted as I really like Simon. Then I remembered Percy and that made more sense.

Towards the end though, I thought Alice could be in on "it" - whatever "it" is - too. As mentioned above, it's possible she took whatever was in the box. Not to mention the gravestone, that certainly raises eyebrows.

Also - and I may be mixing this up with some other piece of fiction - isn't Ben a virgin? I seem to recall this being mentioned in Case 3 or something? If he's with Alice now, that could change - or not if Alice chooses so...(if I've gotten that mixed up with an episode of Buffy or something then I apologise)

Percy is clearly a key player of course, especially now we know he definitely is not a police officer. I hope we get to see him soon so he can give us some more clues.

I do not think, however, that Ben has been played from the very start. I think there are...forces that are moving him in the right direction, namely things like Quincy showing up, but I think things such as Case 1 or Case 5 were just coincidental. There may be an overall plot arc, but each game is contained as well, not everything has to be connected necessarily.

The dreams are interesting in this Case. Either he is seeing through someone else's eyes or "reliving" a past life or life of one of his ancestors perhaps? Case 1 Deluxe hinted that Ben's grandfather might be part of things to come, and while 1805 would be too far back for him, it could be a relative of his.
[close]

I apologise if I've got any names or facts wrong. It's been a while since I played the others. I have some time free so I may play them again to refresh my mind and make some amendments.

Hammerite

I look forward to the next one, especially since all the interesting arcs are starting to come together.
i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

Eli

Thank you for sending me your game BJ6, I really enjoyed playing it.
The game is very nice, I'll be waiting for your next one.

Muchas gracias por tan buen juego. Me divertí mucho jugándolo.

Espero tu próximo juego.

Bye!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk