MAGS 2007-09: Innovation

Started by Klaus, Sat 01/09/2007 07:18:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportunity to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

You are not allowed to (re)use material already created before this competition, you game must be completely new! An exception goes for sounds and music where you can also use free material that is available to the public.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This month's guidelines are set by Akatosh.

Topic: Innovation

If there's one thing that's definitely been over-done in AGS adventure game creation it's the standard "You Play As The Completely Inept Private Eye XYZ" adventures, Indy and Monkey Island clones. It's probably time for a change and shake things up a little!

Thus if you want to make a game for this month's MAGS competition it must follow these guidelines:

- The main character must not currently be, have ever been or trying to get become a pirate, private eye or archaeologist.

- The game must be placed in an "infrequently used in AGS games" setting. This means use locations we didn't see in a long time (for example a Cyberpunk environment would classify) or use places is a non-standard way...

- In addition to this the game must feature something that'll be considered "innovative", e.g. a new and interesting GUI (Odo Tamat On did this) or in general something you don't see in every game. Don't get stuck on this rule: It doesn't have to be a GUI or completely new, but it shouldn't have been "done to death". Just a nice feature.

That's it. The rules are quite open this month, not including a definite background setting or anything, but that's pretty much the spirit of innovation, isn't it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All games need to be in by September 25th.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

Radiant

In what is probably the quickest MAGS response ever, I present you

Pixel Hunt

The main character is some kind of gunman, definitely not a pirate, nor a wussy archaeologist. The setting is a dark future, it's actually so dark a future that you can barely see anything on-screen. And this is unlike any AGS games I've seen the past year, so it's definitely innovative! Plus, you get to kill stuff, so how can that not be cool?

olafmoriarty

Oooh, I like. I have a cool concept all worked out, and now I just pray that there will be enough time in this month to actually make it.

Ubel

Quote from: Radiant on Sat 01/09/2007 10:24:07
In what is probably the quickest MAGS response ever, I present you

Pixel Hunt

You are aware that you just stole the name of SSH's game, aren't you? ;)

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=506

nihilyst

Hm, I might enter this time ... at least I have started something ;)

Akatosh

JuuL

I have a question about the "infreuently used setting" rule:
How infrequently does it have to be? Would any of the following count:
- a female main character's home (most games are bout males)
- a specific and not very famous country (most games use US, UK or somewhere exotic)
- The Real World - not something that just looks like it, but a (relatively) real place at a real time with references to real world events.

Could I "use a place in a non-standard way" by making it clear that the graphical representation of the world is based more on the main character's psychology ( =insanity? ) than the real world itself?

Would any combination of the above count?

(the reason for all these question is an idea I've had for a game for more than a year, and the other two rules fit perfectly)

Akatosh

Well, the insanity would certainly work - that's not something you see every day (although it's been used once or twice, I think). The country could work if it's really something you don't see all that much - like Belgium, Iran or Non-Nazi-Germany  ;). I'm not all that sure about the character's home - perhaps if it's unusual (like a cardboard box in the backyard or something), but in general, that specific location wouldn't be *that* innovative.

JuuL

Thanks, Akatosh.
Assuming that my own homeland, Denmark, has an equal level of not-being-seen-that-much as Belgium, I think that will work for me.
And a certain level of insanity will be used, too. Nothing much, just a slight distortion of proportion, darker colours, maybe a few semi-antropomorphic objects.

OneDollar

This is nice and open and I have an idea that might fit. Rule 2 seems to be the stumbling point though, would you count unusual art styles and presentation of areas (use places in a non-standard way)? Otherwise it needs a bit more thought... lets hope I find some time this month

sharksweetheart

Quote from: OneDollar on Mon 03/09/2007 13:25:59
This is nice and open and I have an idea that might fit. Rule 2 seems to be the stumbling point though, would you count unusual art styles and presentation of areas (use places in a non-standard way)? Otherwise it needs a bit more thought... lets hope I find some time this month
I was wondering this too, seeing as I would have no idea how to implement unique gameplay, unless I just went with "no gameplay", haha.

Akatosh

"Unusual presentation" should work, as well as a seldomly used location or even "background setting". Except for World War II and anything with pirates. These don't count.  ;)

ThreeOhFour

I have a small question....

What if one were to become a pirate, but not in the usual, "Arr me hearties", "GROG! WENCHES! GROG! WENCHES" etc type of thing? Like if there was piracy but it wasn't the setting or character, just the actions. So like, thievery. Grand theft Marine. Etc.

Surely this would be an innovative take on a cliche concept?

paolo

Quote from: Ben304 on Mon 03/09/2007 15:52:11
I have a small question....

What if one were to become a pirate [...]?

The rules say: "The main character must not currently be, have ever been or trying to get a pirate, private eye or archaeologist."

I don't think this is clear - it looks like there might be a mistake in this sentence. Is "trying to get" supposed to be "trying to become" (or "trying to get to be")?

DoorKnobHandle

One question I've always had and didn't find answered yet - neither in this thread nor on the official MAGS website - is: how much of an actual adventure must a MAGS entry be?

Like, if a game worked similar to Yahtzee's 1213 series, would this qualify? Especially with these innovative rules this month, projects that leave the traditional point-and-click genre might come up.

So, I guess I'm asking, does a MAGS entry have to be strictly an adventure, can it be a combination of - say jump'n'run or shoot'em'up - with adventure or is maybe even a non-adventure game made in AGS fine?

Klaus

Quote from: dkh on Tue 04/09/2007 12:59:28
... does a MAGS entry have to be strictly an adventure, can it be a combination of - say jump'n'run or shoot'em'up - with adventure or is maybe even a non-adventure game made in AGS fine?

In general: As long as it is not clearly stated in the rules then a MAGS entry does not need to be an adventure game by default. Yes, even non-adventure game are allowed.
For this month: As Akatosh goes for "innovation" I'm not sure if he especially wants to go for "innovation in adventure games". So maybe he can give some more details and make things clear for this month :)

DoorKnobHandle

He, thanks for the quick reply. I think the way this issue is handled makes a lot of sense. :=

Let's see what Akatosh says, though.

Akatosh

Innovation is "AGS Innovation" this month, so non-adventures will be fine.  :)

With "trying to get" I meant something like "trying to become".

OneDollar

So you could in fact have someone who was 'trying to get' (as in obtain, capture or stop) a pirate? :)

Akatosh

In that sense, it'd be possible yes. As long as the main character isn't a pirate.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk