What to do?

Started by Peder 🚀, Thu 27/09/2007 23:21:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Peder 🚀

I flew to UK on the 7th of July 2007 hoping and beliving that I could find a job and a place with my girlfriend.

Now almost 3 months later I am starting to loose hope and also running out of time.
I am currently living with my girlfriends sister and her husband, but got told today that me and my girlfriend has to get somewhere else to stay on the 5th of October, as her husbands kids (with another woman) for some reason has to live with them.
For my girlfriend it doesnt matter as she got somewhere to live (her parents) but I am desperatly in need of a place to live, and a place to work.

To me it really feels like something is stopping me from getting a job.
I have applied to hundreds of jobs online and in the shops directly, but Ive only been called in for 2 interviews so far (wich led to no jobs) and a third interview where the boss never met me (wich happend like loads of times, I kept being told he would be there soon, and got told to come back later and in the end I never met him at all..)

And going back to Norway is the last thing I wants to do...

I got a car, wich I could live in, though I would not be able to look good for interviews I might get etc...
I been looking for flats, but then again its no reason as I dont have enough money to rent for more than 2 months and besides nobody will let me rent without having a job.

I asked for help in any places I know of, the Job Centre Plus wont help me unless I claim for benefits, but one of the restrictions of me living in the UK is that I cannot recieve any benefits from this country.

I really need to get a job and a place, but to me it feels like I wont in time.

I dont know what to do no more, I been applying for loads of jobs EVERY day, Ive been going to Cardiff, Penarth etc almost EVERY day going into shops asking for jobs etc.

But no luck....

I really dont know what to do no more..

Peder.

Nikolas

The restriction on not claiming benefits is because you're from Norway? Cause I'm dead sure that I'm claiming benefits right now...

Other than that, what kind of jobs are you looking for? Cause I remember that when I was thinking of applying a job in IKEA, I was told that I was simply over qualified (with a masters degree, of course I was, but just looking for 3-4 months a job). This is not what employers want really. So I never got a job in IKEA, alhtough it would be hussle free...

Is your CV ok? Has anyone looked at it? Have you looked in agencies? What types of jobs are you looking to do?

I don't know man...

Wish I could help...

Good luck

ManicMatt

Lets see your CV. I'd just like to make sure it's a good one, is all. I've seen a lot of CVs, managing a shop, and so many get chucked in the bin for various reasons... so they don't even get past the first hurdle.

So for all I know you have a great CV, but let's see if that IS a problem or not. Feel free to not include personal details. I'd need to see it as it would appear on a piece of paper, layout and everything.

That's all I can help you with, personally.

Peder 🚀

To be honest my CV is probably not the greatest...
Though the application forms ive filled in should of been good..

At the moment I am looking for any type of job, as I just need a job so I can be able to stay in this country. But what I really want is either work involving websites, telecommunication (trainee work as I dont have the qualifications though this is what I was doing in Norway before I moved) or music related work (music shops, instrument shops etc.).

(I think if I had a child I might of been aloud to claim benefits.. Anyway, I guess I could phone up the Norwegian Embassy in London about it or something.)

I will upload my CV as soon as I am online with MY computer, and then any help with my CV would be appreciated. (I also think that I got no previous work experience here in the UK and no finished qualifications might be one of the reasons people aint interested in me.)

Though even if I do get a job during next week, I still got nowhere to live on the 5th of October.. (well except for my car that is) so, anyone got any ideas about that?

Thanks,
Peder Johnsen.

Huw Dawson

Have you looked into Christmas Temporary Jobs at places like GameStation? They're probably a last resort, but you may be able to scrape together enough money to stay in the UK long enough for you to be able to find a better job...

- Huw
Post created from the twisted mind of Huw Dawson.
Not suitible for under-3's due to small parts.
Contents may vary.

Peder 🚀

Quote from: Huw "I'm scary" Dawson on Fri 28/09/2007 14:08:42
Have you looked into Christmas Temporary Jobs at places like GameStation? They're probably a last resort, but you may be able to scrape together enough money to stay in the UK long enough for you to be able to find a better job...

- Huw

Yeah I have even applied to jobs like that!
But christmas is not YET, and I need a job NOW!
Ive been generally applying for any jobs, petrol stations, gamestation, cloth shops, mac donalds, burger king etc. next to jobs that I really want like webdesigner, web manager and things like that.

Thanks,
Peder Johnsen.

fred

Maybe you can find more jobs to apply to on this site
http://www.ukwda.org/netcareers.asp

I wouldn't advise you to start living in your car - as you say, it will probably only bring more problems. If I were you I'd see if I could get a loan from someone and then focus on getting a place to stay - looking for a job is hard enough without having to worry about where you sleep.

Pumaman

How is your spoken English? If you're having trouble even getting a job at petrol stations and McDonalds, it's one of the only things I can think of that might cause an issue. Of course, being in Wales there might well be rampant descrimination against people who don't speak Welsh...

Andail

Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 30/09/2007 14:12:14
descrimination

Written English doesn't seem to matter much though, ZOMG

Pumaman

Peder 🚀

Ok, so now I solved one problem today!

I got myself a job and will be starting my "test period" tomorrow...
Now all I need to figure out is where to stay...

Andail

Cool, what kind of job is it?

radiowaves

Thats good to hear!

But a bit offtopic: Why is your post green? Its the first time I see something like this.
I am just a shallow stereotype, so you should take into consideration that my opinion has no great value to you.

Tracks

Andail

Lol, happened to me too. The last posts come in some sort of sickly greenish colour. Weird.

DoorKnobHandle

I suppose the green color shows you the last unread post in the thread.

Peder 🚀

scotch

The green posts show whatever post was linked to. Like that.

(Edit: and if you don't know what anyone is talking about, you're probably running IE, it won't show in that case)

Mr Jake

Quote from: Peder Johnsen on Mon 01/10/2007 18:27:26
Quote from: Andail on Mon 01/10/2007 16:42:42
Cool, what kind of job is it?

Its selling fish, in a market..

http://www.ashtonfishmongers.co.uk/

I will be by to buy fish from you in a couple of weeks on one of our many shopping trips to cardiff.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk