MAGS 2007-10: Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Started by Klaus, Mon 01/10/2007 10:06:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportunity to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

You are not allowed to (re)use material already created before this competition, you game must be completely new! An exception goes for sounds and music where you can also use free material that is available to the public.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This month's guidelines are set by paolo and Ben304 and they left them fairly open so you can use your imagination:

Topic: Planes, Trains and Automobiles

1. Planes, trains and automobiles: the main character must take each of these three forms of transport at least once during the course of the game.

2. The character must undergo some sort of metamorphosis or change during the game, such as growing up, gaining a new ability or perhaps going from good to bad or bad to good.

That's it - no other requirements.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All games need to be in by October 26th.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

Akatosh

Hm... sounds interesting. I've kind of got an idea in the back of my head... but it wouldn't be doable in one month, so I'm not going to enter it. Sorry.

/EDIT: Then again, I have a different idea. Anything recognizable as something like a plane, train and/or automobile counts, right?

paolo

Hi Akatosh,

Yes, go for it!

Regarding "anything recognizable as something like a plane, train and/or automobile", I would say it doesn't matter too much if your graphics don't look like a plane, train or automobile, but the vehicles featured must be intended to be a plane, train or automobile.

So, for example, it would be OK to have the character take a trip in a long rectangle with semicircles along the bottom edge, as long as it's made clear in the game that this is supposed to be a train and not, say, a bus or something else.

What is not OK is the narrator just saying, "Then Fred got into his car and drove to the station, where he took a train to the airport and jumped on a plane to Barbados." That would be too easy. The vehicles and the journeys need to be shown in the game rather than just referred to.

Does this answer your question?

Akatosh

Yep, exactly what I had in mind - thank you!  :)

Although I'm going to have to abuse both AGS and your rules a little for this game...

paolo

Good. OK, well, as long as you don't bend the rules too much I'm sure it will be just fine. And there's nothing stopping you from putting a zeppelin in as well if you want ;) as long as you don't use the same graphics as you had in your other game (which would be against the MAGS rules).

ThatOneChick87

This is my first game. Its a short game for MAGS: Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

I was originally going to do a Reality-On-The-Norm game for mags, but decided I wanted the feeling of the game to be darker since Halloween is right around the corner. I edited the Ron GUI, because I wanted colors and different cursors.

Story

Lately, Jacob has been having terrible nightmares. Nightmares that wake him up in cold sweats. Lucky for him, they are only dreams. And when he awakes, everything is back to normal. Atleast until he and his girlfriend, April, take a long trip. Then, his nightmares start to shift into reality, and Jacob must figure out what is going on before its too late.

320x200 at 16-bit color

Screenshot

Download the game here:

Jacob.rar

Here is the mirror:

Jacob.rar Mirror
"Whoa, it's been upgraded to stank. Just last week it was only stink. Stonk can't be far away."

Klaus

One entry in (many thanks) and we're close to the deadline... Please post your games within the next 24 hours (see timestamp of this posting), then the voting will begin - if there are more entries here then...

Dualnames

I guess it;s gonna be like elections on Monkey Island...
when there's one candidate there's only one choice
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Akatosh

I might whip something up... in the grand time total of two hours. Chances are I won't... or will I?

Buckethead

Akatosh

No, of course not!

Actually, yes.

/EDIT: I know I'm not on time, but could I ask for something like 30 minutes extension? FSi and me are trying to work something up...

Akatosh

Finished. Fingers hurt, brains feels drained.  :P

Features a funny-at-first-listen-but-really-annoying-afterwards background tune, an EPIC BATTLE TUNE and some plot help by FSi and, um, ... everything Me Go Store! had, only worse.

Get
Me Go Away!

AGS games database entry tommorow.

Klaus

Okay now... Two games in - let's finally start the voting...

For voting please visit the MAGS site or make your choice right here:

Jacob by ThatOneChick87
Get Me Go Away! by Akatosh

Please vote only once and be sure to have played all games before sending your voice! Good luck to all participants.

Buckethead

OK I've just played both games and voted. Here are a few critics:

Jacob:

This seems greatly inspired by Tribly's notes. But just a bit too much imo. The story was ok but when you discoverd what was going on the game stops. While I had the feeling I was just getting started. I think it would have been better if the hero atleast tried to dodge his destiny. This way it would have been more of an adventure game. The puzzles were really simple and could hardly be called puzzles. But maybe you just wanted to tell a story. The graphics where not eye candy but they did ok. The way it was drawn kinda gave me the feeling it was breathing like the house in 6 days a sacrafice.

Me Go away:

it always makes me laugh, especially the bad guy. But it's obviously not a serious attempt so I think I'll pass  ;)

Akatosh

Me Go Away and not a serious attempt? You must be joking!  :=

Klaus

Time out - voting is over now and we have a shiny new winner:

ThatOneChick87 won this month's competition with her first game Jacob.
Congratulations and also many thanks to Akatosh for his entry...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk