TEMPLATE: SCUMM VERBCOIN GUI v2.0.0 (for AGS 3.x)

Started by Electroshokker, Sun 21/10/2007 16:31:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

Uhh, sorry, this dropped from my head.

I meant to say that it is not necessary to send me copies of template, because I can take them from forum links anyway. Also, maybe it won't be me who will package next version.

Perhaps this could be a better idea to create some sort of file repository to store latest versions of templates meant to be included into AGS distributive?

arj0n

The Great Underground Empire

I found a problem...just downloaded AGS 3.3.4, started a new game with the Verb Coin template, and found out I couldn't make cEgo walk by left-clicking.  It'll still obey cEgo.Walk commands in the script, but even with the Walkable Area covering the entire room, cEgo wouldn't move from mouse clicks.  Crimson Wizard assisted and verified that you can copy in an older version of the template and it'll still work.  Apologies if it was already found and I just missed it in the previous pages.  Thanks!

From this thread in Beginners':
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=52535.0

carlosuh

Hi everyone, i have a bug with the 2.0.0 version..

You can reproduce the bug in a fresh new project.
When i click at any object or hotspot or anything that brings up the verb coin, if i accidentally move the mouse too fast (e.g. click at left and move fast to right) the game crashes with these errors:

Code: ags
line 789     if (actionTextProperty[i] == "" && Verbcoin.get_Overhotspot_UseDefaultActionText() == true && default_text[i] != null)
line 1323    repeatedly_execute_set_overhotspot_gui_value();

The only "fix" that i know is to comment from line 787 to 795 but then the verb coin isn't showing any text on the @overhotspot@

I didn't see this bug in any post but if it's already posted before i apologize.
Sorry for my bad english.
Thanks for any help!.

Crimson Wizard

I would like to ask, if anyone was able to use the newest version of Verbcoin template (2.0.0) for their game?
With the strange bug reported above, which prevents character from walking, I am not sure if I should distribute this template with next AGS release until template author responds at least.
Unfortunately I cannot find time to test this myself and find out if these are not bugs, but optional behavior or something, that could be changed with a switch.

OTOH I could distribute both old and new versions of the template.

Monsieur OUXX

The issue is caused by actionTextProperty[ i ] being null. It makes the  comparison with "" crash (apparently it's forbidden to compare a null String with anything).

I obtained the same symptoms as carlosuh, not by moving my mouse too fast, but by changing resizing my game in the general options (from the template's 640x480 down to 320x200). I have no idea what it broke, but it caused actionTextProperty[ i ] to be null when you click on the character.

Sadly, I have no knowledge of this module's internal workings so I can't fix it.

here is a quick fix but I cannot guarantee that it fixes the module permanently:
Code: ags

//...
if (gui[Verbcoin.get_Verbcoin_GuiId()].BackgroundGraphic == verbgraphic_button[i]) //LINE 787
{

bool propertyIsEmpty = false;

if (actionTextProperty[i]==null)
          propertyIsEmpty = true; 
        else if (actionTextProperty[i] == "") 
           propertyIsEmpty = true;

if (propertyIsEmpty == true && Verbcoin.get_Overhotspot_UseDefaultActionText() == true && default_text[i] != null)
        {
          overhotspot.Text = default_text[i].Append(location_name);
        }
        else if (!propertyIsEmpty)
        {
          overhotspot.Text = actionTextProperty[i];
        }
}
//...

Electroshokker

Ok,

just noticed the responses.

There are 2 issues:

1 - the no walking bit is due to a strange bug where only x out of y clicks are actually processed (when putting breakpoints it all works as expected, but without them clicks go 'missing')

2- actionTextProperty can be null if moving away from the verbcoin upon opening it, this is easily fixed

I'll upload a new version (2.0.1) asap to fix these. (might be a few weeks, since near holidays)

----

If you still have issues (and if you cannot identify the source of the problem yourself) you could provide me with a download link (just PM me, not everybody needs to see your unfinished game :wink:) to game sources which I can use to reproduce the problem so I can figure out a solution.

The Great Underground Empire

Shoot, sorry to report the same bug again, different engine version...I'm in 3.3.5, and just discovered the same issue with the verb coin and the inability to walk.  Electroshokker, did you ever get a chance to work on it?  Thanks!

Trample Pie

Hey if someone's still having trouble with this here's how I got it working with my game.

I followed Crimson Wizards advice and downloaded an older version of AGS (3.2.1) and copied the verb coin template into my newer versions template folder.

Then I used find and replace to replace "ProcessClick" with "Room.ProcessClick" in Scumm Verbcoin GUI.asc.

I hope that helps!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk