MODULE: AGS Console v4.0(Custom Cheat Commands)

Started by Dualnames, Thu 25/10/2007 18:46:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: THE REAL DUALNAMES on Tue 30/10/2007 20:47:26
Actually , I inspired all this idea from the AGSH modules.

Woah!  *proudness*

My console sucks, it's bugged (i implemented it quickly to have something functional). I don't even know if it crashes when i go past the maximum rows of text. It's only advantage is that it scrolls smoothly from the top of the screen (lol).

When I'll have your console inserted, I'll also use SSH's module (the one with an unpronounceable name), because it's the type of functionality I planed to add; thanks to this thread, I now know that I'll be able to spare a lot of dev time!

Dualnames

Check First Post...
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Jim "Dualnames" Span on Fri 02/11/2007 21:57:33
Check First Post...

That's pretty cool, even if I doubt I can trust Ashen again one day, since his new avatar removes the kinda-old-guy-with-wisdom effect, and replaces it with a sensation you are talking to a young smartass :D  ;)
Ashen, you mysterious universal debugger, who are you really?  :D

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Ashen

Well, the old avatar was an English psycho who wanted to rule the world by mind-controlling people with a crappy Aztec mask. The 'young smartass' is a blood spatter analyst/serial killer, who works for the Miami police and targets the ones they let get away. So take your pick, really.

Still working out some of the kinks in the 2.0 code - adding a few more features, and trying to comment as much as possible and generally make it more user friendly. As Dualnames said, post or PM if there are any specific debugging functions you think should be included. (A list of the current ones would probably help here ... I'll work one out and add it later. Got to run now.)
EDIT:
Existing:
quit
add_inv
lose_inv
change_room (player only)
set_gi
change_name
walk_view
display
room_script
Planned, but not written:
move_npc (change NPC room)
object_on
object_off
object_move
object_animate
region_on
region_off
walkable_on
walkable_off

EDIT2:
As Dualnames says a couple of posts down, the module can be used in conjuction with with DeNGVaT. The DeNGVaT commands are:
int_set
int_add
int_sub
int_get
str_set
str_append
str_get

If you've got DeNGVaT installed, they should work fine (see the ReadMe for more details). If you haven't, they won't cause any troubles.
I know what you're thinking ... Don't think that.

Ghost

Two (rather small) errors in the readme section of the console:

2.Configuration..
Put AGSConsoleOpen where you want the cosole to open..
and put AGSconsoleMC when you click with your left mouse button

It should be

AGSConsoleOpen()

and

AGSConsoleMC()

Easy to spot and to correct, but prone to confuse newcomers who copy'n'paste from your readme.

More critical: If you don't happen to have a sprite 72 for the console GUI to overwrite, it will crash the game, or at least it did in my case. What is the purpose of that small sprite?

Anyway, great work- I already integrated the console into my WIP and can't really explain how I could live without it  ;D Eagerly awaiting 2.00

Dualnames

Thanks for your comments Ghost. Good job pointing that out.

Ghost

*PRIDE* I contributed!

No, honestly, I think that if the next version allows to enter pre-defined commands, and even to create own commands, this is a "must have". I think everyone here starts to make his own "debugger gui" when working on a project, and you offer an easy-to-use, clean little console. Really worth having.

I also appreciate that you still support 2.72. I'm really wowed by 3.0 and its new look and capabilities, but after some long thoughts I decided to finish my WIP with 2.72.

Dualnames

Well AGS 2.72 is still the latest stable official version. So I'm sticking to that. I've heard AGS 3.0 is really cool but I don't want to make my game and then suddenly an error comes...
And since new members download AGS 2.72 why bother making a module that targets that support group as well but that group can't use it?

subspark

I agree. I do look forward to your 3.0 version however. Top work mate!

Cheers,
Paul.

Dualnames

I don't know if Ashen is currently heading for 3.0 but I'm not changing from AGS 2.72 unless Chris releases 3.0 as current AGS version stable and all that.

subspark

Yep. Thats entirely a case of time. When your ready to work with 3.0 after it is the official version I'll be more than happy to provide feedback. Apart from testing your module, I haven't loaded up 2.72 in a little while but when it's time for 3.0 to take the pedestal I'll be able to offer more than a pat on the back. All that aside, I think the module is a sweet idea.  :D

Cheers, Dualnames!
Paul.

Dualnames

UPDATE 13/11/2007
---------------------------
Well Ashen had some troubles on his internet connection. Anyway the version is up...
http://ashen.webng.com/AGS/Console2b.zip

New zip contains:
AGSCon2.scm (module)
AGSCon2.gue (2.72 GUI)
AGSCon2.guf (3.0 GUI - not tested the module in in 3.0, but there's no reason most/all of it wouldn't work just fine)
ReadMe.html (a readme)

Ashen

Yup, I'm back again (what d'ya mean, no-one noticed I was gone). Hope you get some use out of the module, and I didn't leave any glaring errors in place. Post here or PM if you find any, or have any more suggestions. (Thanks to Ghost for suggesting the Custom Properties functions, and proving someone's actually paying attention ;))

I don't know if Ashen is currently heading for 3.0 but I'm not changing from AGS 2.72 unless Chris releases 3.0 as current AGS version stable and all that.
I'm getting familiarised with the beta, but like Dualnames I'll still 'think' in 2.72 until 3.0s official release. As it says, there's no obvious reason, apart from the gue/guf filetype, that the module shouldn't work in 3.0 but it's not currently tested. Let me know how that turns out, from the point of view of someone who's actually using it full time.
I know what you're thinking ... Don't think that.

Ghost

As they say, "no news is good news": The new version runs smooth, it imports without faults and is as useful as ever, only more so.

I tried it with 2.72 only, though.

Dualnames

Forgot to say that you can also use DeNGVat along with console to make it the most powerful debug ever made....

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Dualnames on Mon 19/11/2007 00:43:49
Forgot to say that you can also use DeNGVat along with console to make it the most powerful debug ever made....

that's on the schedule ;)

Dualnames

First, I do apologize for posting, but I'd rather not make a new topic. Secondly, well, people seem to find the console useful, and frankly it is. So since I've done a total rework of the script, what's changed or what's yet to be added comes on the list below:

-SSH Former DeNGVaT(We should add this so if you're using the module, you'd be able to make it more useful for debug?)
-Any other modules that should be added for debug?
-Should we include default console commands, like Ashen had implemented the last time?(add_inv,lose_inv)..ecc. However if we do that would make the commands pretty obvious by most AGSers.
-Now you can have separate listboxes to display stuff or  just use the same, with the version I'm coming up with.

I'm open to all suggestions, and I will in the near future upload the version of the module.

Trent R

What's wrong with AGSers knowing the commands? Couldn't you just hook it up to 'Enable Debug Mode' in the general settings? Then, if any games don't want the "cheat commands", they can turn it off. If they do, but don't want the default Debugs, then all they have to do is erase some script. I don't forsee any problems.

As for suggestions, I'd like to make one about change_room (for player). I don't know how Ashen did it, but I'm assuming it might have been the default Ctrl-X. If possible with the same or another GUI, I would like to be able to see a 'common name' for each of the names, rather than a just a bunch of numbers. How to implement this into AGS Console, I don't know... (I started to script this myself last night and I was just gonna hardcode all my rooms).

~Trent
To give back to the AGS community, I can get you free, full versions of commercial software. Recently, Paint Shop Pro X, and eXPert PDF Pro 6. Please PM me for details.

Current Project: The Wanderer
On Hold: Hero of the Rune

Dualnames

Ok, version 3.0 is up. I'll be adding custom cheat commands for the next days, so sorry if you waited only for those.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk