Designing a band logo.

Started by Nine Toes, Sat 03/11/2007 08:54:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Nine Toes

I drew up this logo for a local band in MSPaint:

I thought it looked kinda crappy and pixelated, so I've been trying to re-create it in GIMP.  This time I opted for a spiffy glowing text:

Only thing is, I'm having a little trouble fabricating the reverse-glow-line-through thing that the original design has.  Any ideas, suggestions?

While you're at it, thoughts on either design?
Watch, I just killed this topic...

Tuomas

Umm, what's the name of the band. Looking at these, I can't really tell for sure :S

Babar

As far as I can tell, it is FALLHORIZON.

As for crits: If this is the band's logo, is it necessary to have the name of the band in it? Because it seems very wide to be a logo.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Nine Toes

It's "FALLHORIZONT".  I'm told it's German for "Event Horizon".

Babar:  I suppose it's not absolutely necessary to use the band's name as a logo.  Yes, it does seem very wide.  I suppose, I'll try and come up with a few more alternatives, and then repost.

cobra79

The german word would be "Ereignishorizont".
I prefer the first design, but it is too dark and therefore barely visible. Maybe you can add a circle of some kind to it.

Oliwerko

In both of them, I would add more blue, otherwise, they look OK to me.

P.S. Just realized -  is your nickname somehow related to Morrowind ?

zabnat

First I read it as "FALLIIORIZONT". And it is really hard to see.
I can tell you if you're ever going to have a presentation about your band and you have a power point slides projected on the screen and you have this logo on them, nobody will see it ;D
Not that you would or should go anywhere near power point, but my point is that blue on black is pretty hard to see. So you could try some lighter tones of blue.

Paper Carnival

I made a small edit of the original, it's just an idea. I think it's easier to read this way.

LimpingFish

How about...

...since their name is Event Horizon, you use a kind of negative effect on the horizon line? Using the line to form elements of the letters is a neat idea, but it does make the name hard to read.

Or this...

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Medical Waste

If you can, make something as a vector, because logos and such are the kind of graphic you want as a vector because it's easier to do things with them.
THE PATIENTS ARE REVOLTING

EldKatt

I agree very much with Babar: this is too wide. Leaving the name out wouldn't be a good idea, though, unless they're already so famous that nobody cares about that.

Nine Toes

Took me a while to repost, I was trying to come up with other ideas for the logo.

I finally got a satisfactory result as to what I was trying to do in the first place.  I took a hint from LimpingFish:

With solid letters:

New idea.  The actual "black hole" effect:

Simlar to before, only with a white ring around the black hole:

I tryed to come up with another logo not using the band's actual name.  Unfortunately, all I could come up with are these tribal-like designs (I know they're large, but they can always be resized):

Cobra79: Eesh!  That word is even longer! ...and harder to spell! :P  I'll take your word for it though, as I can see that you are fluent in both German and English.  However, I did a little research, and found that "fallhorizont" actually means "drop horizon" (correct?), which I'm assuming could be the same thing as an "event horizon".

Oliwerko: I tried adding a few different shades of blue, as well as some white.  I wonder if I'm beating the whole "black and blue"-thing to death.  Maybe I should approach the whole thing with a different idea, and different colors.  And yes, I did take my nickname from Morrowind, but there's also more to the story.

I'll keep working on new logos, trying a different font, and a different design all together.  I guess... what sorts of things do people first think of when they think about black holes?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk