MAGS 2007-12: The End Of Christmas

Started by Klaus, Sat 01/12/2007 13:57:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportunity to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

You are not allowed to (re)use material already created before this competition, you game must be completely new! An exception goes for sounds and music where you can also use free material that is available to the public.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This month's guidelines are set by last month's winner paolo:

Topic: The End Of Christmas

So it's the December rules again and we go for a Christmas related competition:

* Someone in the game discovers something that means that Christmas can no longer be celebrated.
* The player character has to "save" Christmas, either by stopping this discovery from becoming public knowledge, or by proving conclusively that the discovery is untrue.
* A freak weather condition, such as a hurricane, flooding or extreme heat or cold, occurs at some point in the game. It must be a freak condition for the place where the game is set, so, for example, if the game is set in Norway, extreme heat would be freak weather, but a snowstorm would not.
* Two or more of the following items must be used as inventory items somehow during the game:

- a bustle
- a collection of mugs of different colours, but the blue one is missing
- a hosepipe with holes in it
- a jar of yeast extract (Marmite, Vegemite or similar)
- a mouldy sandwich
- a sumo wrestler
- a trombone
- a 20-volume set of encyclopedias
- a used teabag

Let your imagination run riot and have fun!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All games need to be in by December 24th.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

mwahahaha

I think I can manage this one.. already got a good idea.  I'll see where it takes me.

Dualnames

You luckers.. if I weren't busy as hell. Wonderful idea klauss..

Or should i say Santa Klaus?
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Klaus

Quote from: Dualnames on Sat 01/12/2007 19:31:20
Wonderful idea klauss..
Well, actually the idea is from paolo. So the credits go to him :)

OneDollar

But then the joke wouldn't work. Hmm, this is a little tough and I have no time. Looks like spending 10 days working on a game rather than my exams, then giving up again time!

JuuL

I might have the time for making a game this month, though I will probably fail to finish it like I usually do.
But theoretically speaking, would it be ok to save Yule instead of Christmas? (maybe even saving Yule from being replaced by Christmas... that might be an idea)

Akatosh

I have an... interesting idea, but it'll strain the rules to the very limit and I don't know if I'll have the patience and time to whip something up. Well, we'll see.

And no, it won't be "Me Save Christmas".

paolo

Quote from: JuuL on Fri 07/12/2007 21:14:48
But theoretically speaking, would it be ok to save Yule instead of Christmas?

Yes, JuuL, that would be OK. I take it by Yule you mean the pagan celebration of the winter solstice. As Yule once was *the* winter festival in countries where Christmas now plays that role, I don't see any reason why not, provided it's set in a pagan context, of course.

OneDollar

I finally finished a MAGS competition! Third time lucky and all that...

OneDollar Productions proudly present, OneDollar's first ever (completed) AGS game...

Alan Saves Christmas

Story
When the Ministry of Holidays receive a letter from Santa Claus cancelling his toy delivery for Christmas, they send an accountant named Alan to find out what is going on...

Features
*Full 800x600 graphics
*14 screens
*Comedic storyline
*Original hero
*Several puzzles of different difficulties
*Large and small download versions

Website: http://onedollarproductions.googlepages.com/alansaveschristmas

AGS game page: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=971

Completed game thread: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=33256.0

Mr_Frisby

Mr_Frisby_Saves_Xhristmas

This aptly titled epic took me two days.Enjoy (or Santa gets it!)

Vote for Pedro!!
Hey! All my awesome trophies dissapeared in the year since I was here last. CONSARN_IT! with an underscore!!! I earned dem tings!! Oh well. Hope your Monkey floats.

Klaus

Oh yes - time is up: Please post your entries within the next 12 hours (see timestamp of this post), then the voting will begin...

12 hours later now... For voting please visit the MAGS site or make your choice right here:

Mr Frisby Saves Xhristmas by Mr_Frisby
Alan Saves Christmas by OneDollar

Please vote only once and be sure to have played all games before sending your voice! Good luck to all participants.

Klaus

So it is the last day of 2007 and the voting for MAGS December 2007 is also over now.
The winner this time is Alan with his charity entry "OneDollar Saves Christmas".
Oh, I mixed up some things here ;)

The winner is of course OneDollar with his entry "Alan Saves Christmas"!
Congratulations!

Also many thanks to Mr Frisby for joining the contest.
See you all again next year...

OneDollar

Thanks guys! And thanks for the competition Mr Frisby!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk