Mockup Merriment, or Mission: Badass Christmas (Now until Christmas Eve!) WIN!

Started by Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens, Mon 17/12/2007 03:36:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

That's right, boys and girls, it's another edition of draw your favorite game scene that people would play!

The topic for this time period (16-24) is:  ______ Conquers the..._______?!.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to produce the following:

1.  A scene from a Christmas-themed game, be it a Graphic Adventure, an Action-Adventure (including platformers!) or even a first person shooter.  Heck, I'll even allow pinball games!  Puzzle games, though, are right out!

2.  Create a compelling, utterly badass screen of ultimate wonderment -  and do it in 64 colors or less!

3.  Limit your fantastic scene of Christmas cool to 320x240 or smaller.  You can, of course, reduce larger images if you want to.

4.  The protagonist should be any distinctly Christmas-themed character (Santa, Rudolf, Frosty, or any other mythological character related to christmas so long as you provide some reference for the esoteric ones!).  This fulfills the first part of the game's title!

5.  The second ______ in the title must be the antagonists of your badass tale, be it Martians, Grover Cleveland's Zombified head or, horror of horrors, a gang of trash-talking Emo kids bent on Christmas' destruction!

6 (Bonus 1):  GUI must appear to have some kind of innovative or silly function.

7 (Bonus 2):  Make the game entirely in EGA/C-64 resolution and colors, just to prove how hardcore you are!

8 (Bonus 3): Mention 'Mission: Badass Christmas' in your entry at least once!

Now let's get this Yo-ho-show on the ro-ho-hoad!

Special Badass Christmas Rating System!:

Favorite Visual Style (which style is the most visually appealing?):

Best Interface (which interface/gui looks the most fun/creative to you?):

Badassness(tm) (which entry looks like it would be the most fun to actually play?):

Best Design (which entry seems to have its elements fitting nicely together?):

Most Christmasy (which entry fills you with the spirit of christmas?):

Nacho

Thread closed beofre I was able to say something nice... Congratulations of winning the previous Mockup, Prog!

Nice topic for this week' s edition.  :)
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Monsieur OUXX

By the way, about the previous Mockup Blitz... (It's just because I love cinema and I could spend hours reading Wikipedia articles)

TheJBurger

Well, I wanted to spend longer on this but I'm leaving on a one week trip.

Frosty Conquers the Elves!

In some kind of twisted world where Frosty is totally and undeniably evil, he sets out on a mission to destroy Santa's Toy Shop. Armed with him is his trusty hat and broom, both of which he can use in an ultimate arsenal of deadly moves. Along with his health bar, he has a level bar which starts at 1, only giving him the basic moves. At certain junctions in the story, he can increase his level cap to 2, 3, etc. But he can only perform those moves if his level bar is full, which can be done by collecting stars from dead enemies. (Sorry Cave Story!)

Akatosh

Not that *THIS* had a chance against that entry, but it was fun to make. Here it is, anyway...

Santa Conquers the Nazis!
Because No Popular Character Will Be Spared From Having To Play A Role In World War II

"Last chance, boneheads - drop your weapons and say a nice poem, or BOOM."

(37-ish colors according to Pro Motion)

24th December, 1943. After having finished his traditional cup of morning tea (and the funny papers) Santa decided it was about damn time to get to double-check the Naughty/Nice list. What he finds there is startling, but there is no doubt: The entirety of the Nazi Germany Military officers are on the bad side of the list!  But promise is promise, and job is job. He sets out to bring festive mayhem over the country.

The game is broken into parts, aka "missions". Here, it's our job to deliver the military commander of some largeish city his "present"; since the path is full of equally naughty (not the kinky meaning), Santa obviously had to make his way through the canals before being able to employ his trusty bazooka.

The game obviously is a horrible mixture of an adventure and a platform game. Don't ask how that works, and yes, I know the characters look overly cute... again.  :P
Characters based on Advance Wars sprites... but I hope that'll be OK.

Layabout

I am Jean-Pierre.

Galen

Frosty Conquers the Elves! looks like the Soviet version of Cave Story :P

loominous

What's the reasoning behind excluding art made in higher resolutions?

Even if no restrictions exist, about half or more of the entries are already in low res, so I'm interested in the motivation.
Looking for a writer

Dualnames

JBurger... stop entering mockups sometime soon >:(
We won't to partecipate as well but your a winner everytime.. :-X
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

R4L

Quote from: Dualnames on Sat 22/12/2007 20:53:32
JBurger... stop entering mockups sometime soon >:(
We won't to partecipate as well but your a winner everytime.. :-X

Everyone has a right to participate. J's entry is awesome, but that doesn't mean he automatically wins.

GarageGothic

I was going to do "Baby Jesus Conquers the Abortionists", but it seems I won't have time.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Stay on topic, this is about fun, not winning, and there are no prizes unless it just makes you feel great to win, which is okay! 

Nacho

Yeah, you say that because you allways (unfairly) win..  :P

Just kidding!  :)  ;)

And now, got back to a serious note. Great sprites, Akatosh, specially considering that you thought you were not good at low res. Looked like the Metal Slug sprites, and I am quite sure you have used them as a reference as for designing and lighting, but you did not ripp... Congrats!
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

loominous

Assuming you missed my question, and didn't just arrogantly ignore it, here it is again:

Quote from: loominous on Sat 22/12/2007 19:49:36
What's the reasoning behind excluding art made in higher resolutions?

Even if no restrictions exist, about half or more of the entries are already in low res, so I'm interested in the motivation.
Looking for a writer

Akatosh

Pro-/Contra-Low-Res is already being discussed over here, pal. And it's completely up to the guy who starts the competition thread to set size/palette restrictions; ProgZ appearantly just has a thing for lo-res  ;)

In different news, thanks for the praise, people! Seems like I have a surefire... second place.  :=

loominous

Quote from: Akatosh on Sun 23/12/2007 15:05:16
Pro-/Contra-Low-Res is already being discussed over here, pal.

Appreciate being called "pal", but I don't see how that thread has anything to do with my question.

Quote from: Akatosh on Sun 23/12/2007 15:05:16
And it's completely up to the guy who starts the competition thread to set size/palette restrictions; ProgZ appearantly just has a thing for lo-res  ;)

Again, not sure what this is answering. Prog sure seems to prefer his low res, and yes, it's up to the host.

The interesting part is how you go from: 'I sure do prefer low res!' to 'Let's ban all entries that don't correspond to my resolution taste!', which  curiously enough only seem to pass through the mind of lo res people. Some kind of discrimination complex perhaps.

(If most entries were hi res, I could understand how a restriction like that could be applied to "shake things up". But since most entries nowadays seem to be low res, this motivation would seem very puzzling.)

So, my question remains.

(And to avoid a debate, please refrain from answering unless you're Prog, or happen to know his reasoning.)
Looking for a writer

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

You seem to have formed your own judgmental view of me already, Loominous, and these kinds of discussions aren't really appropriate for the thread.  You could have (and still can, of course) private message me about this at any time!

Layabout

Actually, 5 rules are excessive, and personally I do understand loominous' questioning. Most people will still submit 320x2xx art, so it seems somewhat unfair to impose such a restriction limiting those who prefer to dabble in the higher resolutions.

It seems to me you are trying to restrict the 'better' artists from entering this 'mockup', which is undoubtably unfair. After all, it's not just about the art, its the concept and the visualisation that plays a part in these contests. And it is all a bit of fun.

Why restrict those who prefer the higher pixels?

I know with things like sprite jam, there is always a set amount of pixels, but if you are asking for a background/mockup, why restrict?

I am so the oldbie around here, and I don't think it is fair! Share the love, It is christmas, Let people have their fun. There is much restriction in this world! Don't let this place be as such!

And i'm sorry to clog up this thread, as I know it is a contest, but I too think it is discriminating. Brussells would frown upon this thread. :p

And I rant no longer.
I am Jean-Pierre.

EdLoen

*opens a can of worms*

Quote3.  Limit your fantastic scene of Christmas cool to 320x240 or smaller.  You can, of course, reduce larger images if you want to.

I find it funny that with that statement in the rules, why there's an argument....  the way I see it, that allows someone to work at 640x480 (or higher) and then just shrink the image.  To me, this means you can do your mock-up in 3d even (as long as it meets the color restrictions) as long as the entry is no larger then 320x240.

all those other things that are on the list about having commador64 grapic style and such is just options that progZ put out there.

Personally, this little argument that's happening is moot.

Khris

Unfinished, but posting anyway.

Santa Conquers Teh Toyz!!1

Evil Robot Santa went back in time and turned all toys into killer machines. There's only one to stop them: Santa Claus!

Showing an innovative GUI function in a jump'n'run is kinda difficult so I'll tell: once the life bar is down to zero, Santa turns into an evil Santa himself for a limited time and now the player has to avoid all the power ups and stuff because touching them turns them into enemies.

The background sticks to the limit of 3 colors + background for every 4x8 char. And I've used tiles for some additional fun ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk