Fail

Started by tuntis, Fri 21/12/2007 16:55:30

Previous topic - Next topic

tuntis

...Yeah, that's pretty much the best it gets. I have all these kickass story ideas but the part where I need some kind of graphics always kills the whole project.

Any tips?

Oddysseus

Well, it seems like a decent figure for rough drawings.  If you want to recruit an artist to help with your game, I'd recommend drawing storyboards with your figures to give the artist a rough idea of what you want for animations/cutscenes/etc.  It also shows that you're dedicated to your work, and not just out to get someone to make your game for you.

If you're looking for a critique of the drawing itself, its not really fleshed out enough for that.  Draw a face, elaborate on the clothes (cuffs, pockets, etc.) maybe try some shading and then we can give you some more detailed critiques.

Layabout

Thats a beginning, not a failure. Take a bit more time, add a few more details. use a pencil and eraser.
I am Jean-Pierre.

Galen

Use a pencil with an eraser on the end and draw very lightly. That way you can refine the details before you go over the final result with a pen. That's the only way aweful drawers like myself can get something that doesn't look like a deformed turd onto the paper.

Obi

Just make a game that looks like that, I'd play it.

Afflict

To be honest with you, look at duty and beyond by mordalles and at art of theft by yahtzee.

The graphics are simple clean and the games still kick ass.

Also look at happy tree friends and stuff like that the graphics are simple and clean no art awards happening there :P but it is probably one of the most famous web cartoons on the net.

I will leave you with a last thought, just do what you feel comfortable with, something you can replicate and won't frustrate you and make you give up on the game... I want to play your kick ass stories!

Good Luck,

~ Afflict

Nikolas

Quote from: Obi on Fri 21/12/2007 22:35:05
Just make a game that looks like that, I'd play it.
actualy so would I!

Ghost

That would be a fun idea- a game completely done in a "rough sketches" style- I mean, how cool does that sound? There was one, once... sort of a Donald Duck parody game...

And yeah, I too would play such a game!

Edit: And the game's called "The Life of D. Duck".

vertigoaddict

So you've played the recent Princess Marian?

I think I would play a game made entirely out of sketchs, yeah. If it has a good story and game play it might get chosen for AGS Game of the Month.

Medical Waste

The only way you're ever going to become a better artist to work at it. Draw, paint, read tutorials, take a class etc. There is no reason that you couldn't do better then that.

So either work it at, or get someone else to do your graphics. Those are you choices.
THE PATIENTS ARE REVOLTING

tuntis

Quote from: Ghost on Mon 31/12/2007 00:36:49And yeah, I too would play such a game!
I wouldn't  :)

Lionmonkey

I've got an Idea for a new competition:

FINISH THE SKETCH:

Participators are given a rough sketch with a little narration. They must finish it!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Do you actually want critique on this or to have someone do the art for you?  If you're not looking to improve then I'll have to lock/move this elsewhere.  Please let me know via PM as soon as you can, tuntis, since right now all I see is off-topic posts and it's difficult to really provide useful feedback to a really rough sketch.

stu

The sketch in this thread is irrelevant, tuntis is just using it to illustrate the fact he can't produce a quality of graphics that he is happy with.

Thus, he should checkout the various tutorials that are scattered around the place.

But yeh, there isn't really a need for this to be a whole new thread.

vertigoaddict

How about that? all you have to do is paint over your sketches with MS paiint, refine the outline with the same colour as the background (The background of course, is cleared of any smudges via eraser tool.

Funny, simple, likeable character.

stu

leave the sketch alone, it means nothing!

AAAAAHHHH!!!!

Oliwerko

Actually, I find it somewhat.....interesting. I mean, it would be something completely different to make a game with graphics like that. To make it completely sketched on a paper with no faces....maybe it would be original and new.....maybe...

Akatosh

Let me introduce you to an alien, unimaginable world...
A world where where the border between imagination and reality is getting thinner and thinner by the very day...
A world where the very principles of matter and time are warped...
The world of-

SKETCHQUEST!

Not actually hand-drawn and it's pretty ugly and pixellated, but you get the idea. Feel free to steal!  ;)

[Sorry, my imagination just ran rampant again and I had to get this out of my system... :P]

Renal Shutdown

Quote from: Akatosh on Wed 09/01/2008 14:56:58
[Sorry, my imagination just ran rampant again and I had to..]

..borrow the concept from another thread?

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=33176.msg430192#msg430192
"Don't get defensive, since you have nothing with which to defend yourself." - DaveGilbert

Akatosh

Well, that explains how it got IN my system first, anyway.  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk