Critic my small portfolio

Started by Buckethead, Fri 28/12/2007 15:59:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckethead

hey guys,

For next school year I'm applying for Gamedesign in College. Therefore I made a small portfolio to show some of my best work.

http://www.coreylair.co.nr/

What do you think of the design? It's generated with Photoshop and then modified. But I think it has a good functionality for what I want to use it for.

Also does the background display like it should?  :)

Thanks in advance!

Medical Waste

Looks good, nice and clean. The background displays fine as far as I can tell.
The only problem is the title image is getting overlapped a bit by the main block on my screen. You must be running a higher res then me. When you resize your browser smaller it gets even worse.
THE PATIENTS ARE REVOLTING

deadsuperhero

I particularly like your 3D work. Really well done!
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

Ghost

It's a well done portfolio, showing several different skills. The overall design is clean and simple and should be revieved well, and you earn a Ghost Special Karma Point for including a colourful picture of ducks on a lake  ;)

Really, good work. Also, the UT textures are nicely done.

InCreator

Your work - especially models - is nice, but overall feeling lacks style. Or maybe simply isn't my taste.

Looking at other artist portfolios, they're minimalistic, bright, and feature always some extremely simple and crazy ideas. Yours is minimalistic, simple, but not bright at all.

If you look at your images, they're all dark (with exception of duck screenie). This gives somewhat a feeling that I'm visiting a homepage of a horror film or game, not portfolio. The human face bit adds alot to it.

Evil

Odd title for a portfolio. I'm on a super wide screen and the title repeats on the right. I'd put in a bit more information on each piece like how you made it, hours, maybe a few more pieces.

Buckethead

Thanks alot for the comments.  :D

I'll have a look at the background image and see how I can fix it. Since schools usually have a low resolution I better not leave it this way.

To be honest I have never thought about those images being dark and creepy. I'm a big horror fan and I guess I do it without thinking. It's just my style I suppose.

I'll try to include some more info. Do you think it's ok if every page has a scroll bar like the one with the UT textures? More pieces are coming up, I already have more (older work) but it's not good enough to put on.

Thanks for the compliments and critics everyone. I'll go and try to figure out how to fix the background.  :)

Afflict

Looks good, nice work.

*Logo at top cuts off (firefox)
*Would change the page title (in browser) form Portfolio to MR Santa Hat's portfolio ;) or Corey's Portfolio.
*Maybe not have the icons on the left in an I frame that scrolls.
* I personally would put in the game with the pixel graphics since it's not your strong suit, rather just leave it at your 3d graphics. It also feels out of place, and draws the most attention as a thumbnail so people would probably check it first and then not even look at the others :P

*Maybe add a about page or something that says your interests are indi game dev etc.

~Afflict

auriond

Opera user here. The gallery looks good and clean and does what it's supposed to do. I don't see any header or background image. And I agree about the screenshot of your game looking out of place there - perhaps it belongs in a separate section, as it doesn't showcase your awesome ability at rendering 3D graphics :)

Buckethead

I've updated a bit:

Sander de laat: Portfolio

- Best work is now on top
- The header is no longer on the background
- Now have a background that tiles right on every resolution.
- Added a stylish favicon  8)
- Added some extra info on most pieces and removed text that was too modest.
- The site's discription is now: Sander de laat: portfolio, to make more clear what my real name is.

Still working on a good way to show the wires and maps for the models.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk