AGS 3 on Linux. Current Status?

Started by Tartalo, Fri 21/03/2008 18:09:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Tartalo

I decided to open a new thread instead of adding more unrelated things to the 2.7 sticky thread. if this is not the right forum please move

I've been searching the forums and didn't really find my answers, please help me to get the facts right:

AGS 3 editor
Ok, it looks like it doesn't work using MONO, but some answers I saw point to lacks in MONO project itself and some others talk about native Windows code in a DLL used by AGS. So, what's really the matter?

And if it's the second case, can we expect a future effort to make AGS editor work on other platforms than Windows natively or better if I kill my hopes right now and forever?

(Please save WINE recommendations, I know it works for most of you, but I've had some issues, I must try again anyway)

EDIT: Reading through the suggestions for AGS 3.0.1 I've found a mention to a Linux port... is this what I think? Were more info?

AGS 3 engine
Is EvilTypeGuy still active?
Is someone working on the AGS 3 engine for Linux?

Thank You

Tartalo

deadsuperhero

It seems to work decently enough in WINE.
If I knew enough coding, I wouldn't mind doing a GTK/Mono version of AGS.
Alas, I'm a ways away from learning C#, so that would be a while.
Good to see you're still here though, Tarantalo!
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

Tartalo

Thank you,
I'll give another opportunity to WINE
Do you know the answer to any of the questions I made?

deadsuperhero

Quote from: Tartalo on Sat 22/03/2008 10:00:06
Thank you,
I'll give another opportunity to WINE
Do you know the answer to any of the questions I made?

Oh, shucks. Silly me. I assumed you meant just AGS 2, which works wonderfully.
AGS 3 needs the .NET framework, I'm not sure whether that runs in WINE.
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

bearseatbeats

Version 2.72 works pretty well in Ubuntu 7.10 under WINE.

Version 3 is another matter. I messed around with trying to install the .NET framework under WINE, but it needs to have Internet Explorer installed (among other issues probably, but I didn't get that far.), which actually works fine under WINE. However, even if I have IE up and running, the .NET framework installer doesn't see it anyway so it won't go past that point. I don't think it's really the sort of thing you can just extract all the files from and run in a folder, so no dice. Needs DirectX in order to work as well. I actually made a post about this several months ago but never got a response from Pumaman. Not surprising since I'm pretty sure he had other things on his plate. Post was here: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=33291.msg431441#msg431441 Mr. Psychopath (then Alliance) was nice enough to respond that time as well. :-)

So who wants to get cracking on a Mono/OpenGL solution? I'm no l33t h4x0r myself. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? :-)

Hmm...reading back through my previous post, it appears that I did get .NET to install at some point...but I don't remember what I did exactly...oh well.
A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a Danish.

Tartalo

Thanks for pointing to the right thread about the editor, I guess that's were I read about the windows native code dependency. If I have anything else to say about the editor I'll do there.

I'll take the lack of answer about the engine as a "we don't know if anyone is at it"

About trying a Mono version, I don't have a clue about .Net/Mono programming, but if someone goes for it I wouldn't mind to help (betatesting for example)

Radiant

Since it's a similar principle, can I ask in this same thread what the status is on AGS 2.6 and upwards on a Mac?

bearseatbeats

Quote from: Tartalo on Mon 24/03/2008 00:08:44
About trying a Mono version, I don't have a clue about .Net/Mono programming, but if someone goes for it I wouldn't mind to help (betatesting for example)

I'd be willing to beta test as well. Just saying.

Pumaman

EvilTypeGuy is still alive, but is rather busy at the moment. We will see an AGS 3.0 engine for Linux at some point, but I can't give you any dates.

As for the editor, yes they need to implement some missing stuff in Mono. Once this is done it might be possible to compile a Linux-native version of the Windows-native DLL in order to get it working natively, but I don't think there's any point looking at that yet until enough Mono support is there to run the editor's managed code.

bearseatbeats

Hey, thanks for answering, Pumaman.

Looks there'll be a Mono 2.0 version pretty soon, so perhaps there'll be enough goodies to make it possible. One can dream. Cross-platform computing is a great goodness.

SuperDre

another option ofcourse would be for Chris to 'convert' AGS to using Flash or Silverlight.. or go Opensource like Scummvm, so the possibility of more ports of the engine are much greater.. But I understand Chris in not wanting to go opensource, I really don't care as long as the Windows version still keeps working as that's the one I'm playing, although wouldn't mind seeing a PS3 version of the engine hehe.. I do hope he stays away from .NET for the engine itself, as .NET is one piece of *&*(&..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk