Bringing GREEN into computer games?

Started by Peder 🚀, Tue 12/02/2008 23:47:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Peder 🚀

Hello,

I been thinking about one thing lately, does any company that produce CDs/DVDs, booklets and covers use recycled material?
Because me and the rest in Sons of Gaia try to be as GREEN as possible when it comes to what we do.
And if we was to do a retail version of one of our games using recycled material would offcourse be GREENER and it would be an option we would want to choose.

What is your opinions on this?
Do you who make and release games on CD/DVD ever think about this?
Would you also use a GREEN solution? even if it cost more?

Give me a GREEN discussion!

Thanks,
Peder Johnsen.
Sons of Gaia,
www.sonsofgaia.net

Radiant

Why use CDs when you can buy downloadable stuff online?

Peder 🚀

Sure, but then again some people probably burn it all on CDs in the end anyway, (for backup).
And besides to use an example, I would rather buy a music CD from a shop than to download it.
And infact I cant really give you a good explanation for it, but I just kinda find it more personal and better.

Gregjazz

Good idea. I would be interested, but actually for music CD purposes.

OneDollar

I've not heard of it being done, but from a purely marketing point of view it'd be a great idea for games/music/dvds/whatever with environmental messages

Peder 🚀

Thats the point.
I mean, why not go GREEN if its possible?
I got no idea of what will happen with the world in the future, for sure people will allways use energy, play games, play music etc. but we can at least try and make it as GREEN as possible.
Even if we are doomed bla bla bla.. doesnt mean we cant try and change it.

MrColossal

Is going green in some situations better than not, is the main question for me.

Does it use more resources to reuse recycled material [building recycling centers, powering them with fossil fuels, powering the trucks to get the recyclable materials, exhaust/pollutants from all of these steps etc] than it does to chop down a new tree from a tree farm and use it?
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

He-Man

I think that the covers to the band Propagandhi's last two albums where printed on recycled material. So were their posters and live-dvd. The band's lyrics are very political (incl. pro-enviromental stuff)- so it make sense...
BTW The band is awesome if you like fast thrash/punk music!

Ali

Nelly Cootalot uses 100% recycled jokes.

Tuomas

I'd totally be on your side on this, If it really makes a difference, like MrColossal pointed out. I think it's even worse to claim Greenity if you're really nto doing anything good. But as an idea, it's great, and I would really support you on that, compared to others. I prefer to buy my music cds on cardboard covers that open like a vinyl holder if possible, but that's mostly because they're cooler, don't know if greener though.

Emerald

Quote from: MrColossal on Wed 13/02/2008 00:22:44
Does it use more resources to reuse recycled material [building recycling centers, powering them with fossil fuels, powering the trucks to get the recyclable materials, exhaust/pollutants from all of these steps etc] than it does to chop down a new tree from a tree farm and use it?

It's about the bigger picture. Billions of CDs (games, music CDs, singles, software) are sold every year - if every single one was recycled it would make a substantial difference.
Maybe Peder will start a trend...

auriond

I think it's an idea worth considering. A quick google turned up this excellent article discussing this issue.

It says that a typical CD or DVD's packaging actually does use up quite a bit of plastic; the best solution would be to use cardboard sleeves. May not look as attractive to some, but personally I love earthy-style packing. It also lists some places where you can get recycled cardboard CD sleeves, and my own Google search found this site and this site for examples of cardboard sleeves. Just enough for the CD and possibly a small manual booklet.

If, for the sake of our image as indie game developers, we absolutely HAVE to have shiny plastic trays, then there's  this possibility of having cardboard backing and a tray that looks like it's made of plastic. The site makes a convincing pitch, though I have to wonder - soy-based ink???

And if you're the DIY type and you happen to have piles of old computer keyboards handy, you might even want to try this. Looks very appropriate for old-school adventure games, especially if they have a sci-fi setting.

Peder 🚀

Some nice links there Auriond, thank you!

They are all bookmarked!

lo_res_man

A green computer game is ironic, in how much heavy metals and other  materials leech into the enviroment from thrown away computers. This is like driving your tonka truck yellow hummer to the protest, heck driving anything to the protest.
†Å"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.†
The Restroom Wall

auriond

I see it as more of like car pooling in order to reduce pollutants. In other words, not doing away with all pollutive materials entirely, but to reduce as much of it as we can while still maintaining what we have, in this case computers and CDs.

It's a realistic way of looking at environmentalism: humans, once we have our luxuries, can't easily give them up. You'll never be able to convince everyone to give up cars and computers. The best we can do is to reduce our consumption or alter our habits to take the environment into account.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk