Anyone know how to get audio from System Shock 2?

Started by Fleshstalker, Mon 24/03/2008 22:10:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Fleshstalker

I downloaded the game, but there is no audio whatsoever. The intro audio cinema works and the game runs fine on XP. It's just that no audio can be heard. Anyone know how I could fix this?

Domino

If i am not mistaken, you might want to run it in DOSBox. I think that will fix your audio problems. It was awhile ago when i downloaded SS2.

Hope this helps.

Ghost

shkpatch.exe does the trick- it solves all sound and video issues. Just do a google search. You may also want to install the rebirth patch, wich adds high-res models for most of the game's enemies.

Fleshstalker

OH YEAH! I got it to work! Runs perfectly with audio. Stupid me, I didn't run the underdogs installation. That was the problem why there was no audio.  :P

Strangely, I can't get the patch to work because a window pops up says:

Cannot determine the installation directory.
Ensure the game is installed properly and try again.

How do I get the patch on? I believe it's already installed but this message says otherwise. Oh well, if I ca't figure a way to it, then I'll just play it as is.  ;D

Fleshstalker

Stupot

I nearly said "Did you remember to switch on the speakers?" but I thought better of it. ;)

Ghost

Quote from: Fleshstalker on Tue 25/03/2008 00:25:45
The shkpatch.exe one.

Can't help you much with the HOTU installation I fear, I still got the original disc for that. Maybe a clean reinstall will help you? Or- if you already got the sound, well, just play the game. You're in for some superb gameplay experience, if you never played it before!

The patch does fix a problem quite late in the game where one window is unbreakable where it shouldn't be, but you can *cheat* your way around it.

Domino

Don't forget to play BIOSHOCK also...one of the best games ever made.

Ken Levine is a genius.

BIOSHOCK=My favorite game of all time.

Ryan Timothy B

I totally agree with you Domino, it was as good / or even better than Gears of War (I spent many many months playing that one; multiplayer)

Ponch

System Shock 1 and 2 are among the greatest games ever made. The ghosts on Von Braun scared the hell out of me.

- Ponch

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I would have been more scared if they hadn't been that stiff and if the voice-acting had been half as good as SS1.

As it is, SS1 still rates much higher for me than SS2. But still an intense experience!
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Fleshstalker

Beofre I really start playing, is the underdogs 148MB the full game? Nothing missing from it yes?

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

If we're talking about SS2 (all the talk about DosBox has misdirected me) then yeah. Well, almost. It's missing the endgame cutscene.

Well, was for me.

Kneel. Now.

Fleshstalker

I see 10 cutscenes in the file folder. Is that what you also have? ???

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Can't remember what I had, I played it and uninstalled it quite awhile ago.

I did have the other cutscenes, as far as I remember. Just not the last one. An issue which seems to be common.

Kneel. Now.

Fleshstalker

Ah, it has a cutscene named "Credits". I gotta check out if there is video on it. I;ll see a small snippet of it if there is video. Don't want to spoil it completely. Wait... no, just some pics of the designers dead. Ummm. I did see another that shows a face of the box cover and it appears like this face is screaming and shuts off (only saw a small part of it). Don't know if that's the end or whatever.

Well, I best get playing it then and see for myself.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

That might be the ending, I guess.

Don't keep watching, you'll only spoil it. Have fun!

Kneel. Now.

Fleshstalker

Do you remember seeing that cutscene when you played it???

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Nope. I did the last thing I had to do and then the game just switched off.

But relax. I didn't even get credits. If you have them, you should be fine. Maybe it was some other problem.

If all else fails, AFTER completing the game, you can still always look for the cutscene somewhere on the net.

Kneel. Now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk