What are you like?

Started by NTL., Thu 16/01/2003 07:47:23

Previous topic - Next topic

NTL.

I am very shy in everyday life, however on thecomputer I am compfortable chatting with people and on message boards. I usually keep the subjects short answering quickly with Yes, maybe, or I dont know. If I come out and greet someone, I say, "Howdee." and leave it at that. If there is a good friend of mine, that is a whole dfferent story. I say, "Wassup?" In conversations, I often keep quite and listen and observe. I noticed that when I chat on ICQ, IRC, Gamespy, AIM, or MSN, I am the one mostly being the "annoying" one.

Its very weird that I do this. Who acts in this way or similar? I don't often hold conversations with even close friends, and when A random stranger (Foreigner like me who thinks I act like them) walks up to me and starts saying someting like, "Hi! Whats your name? I quickly answer, "matt." It mostly stays at that when they see I am in the least bit interested in doing business with them.

It is very rare for me to ask a question like that to a random person on the street. As I said before, "I honly have three good friends." That is beside my family. I may be nice in this board, but I wanted to share my personality with you to let you know what you're up against if you ever meet me.

Share you're personality:

~psyKIK

Duke Entertainment Message Boards (DEILF)
Duke Entertainment Official Website <-- Recently updated
uhhh... I Live Forever!!!

Dmitri

I'm a chauvanistic right wing capitalist :P

nah seriously, I'm pretty much the opposite in Real life Kikme. I'm the 'annoying one' amongst my friends because I never take anything seriously unless it has to do with business or politics (ie. never) even then when I'm trying to help peoplethink I'm being incompetent or annoying. thus... I'm anti-social to anyone I don't yet know or can't make contact with.

I trust you all know what chauvanistic means.

and that's pretty much me

WanderLady

Psy,
     I hope you don't think that there is anything wrong with acting like that. It's alright not to say something. It's alright to be quiet and shy. Anything that can be said already has been. All that is important is to LOVE the people you come in contact with, even if you just pass them by on the street. LOVE them. In your heart, LOVE them.(AND YOU WILL SAVE THEM) One thing about that LOVE. Our LOVE is not enough--it's too weak--You need to LOVE with the LOVE that JESUS CHRIST has for you.

Peace, Blessing and Love in Jesus' name...

m0ds

Egad. Please don't preach on the AGS forums.

:)
m0ds

WanderLady

m0ds

Jesus

Yeah don't preach... It's clearly my duty

So what is Jesus like in Real life?

Well a few call me preachy
But I just like to be peachy :)

I'm a poet and I didn't know it
I make a rhyme every time

NTL.

I wouldn't say that Wander was preaching. I thought it was some wordsd of the wise myself. I actually smiled at some people when I went out a bit ago.
Duke Entertainment Message Boards (DEILF)
Duke Entertainment Official Website <-- Recently updated
uhhh... I Live Forever!!!

DragonRose

We just had a baaaaaaad experience with a preachy person back on the E-Z board forums.  Ah Santiagoro: gone, but not forgotten... DARN!

Real Life Dragonrose is not as talkative as messageboard Dragonrose.  She prefers text to speech, loves to be the centre of attention but never is. :-(
Sssshhhh!!! No sex please, we're British!!- Pumaman

Pumaman

Quote from: Dmitri on Thu 16/01/2003 08:28:53I never take anything seriously unless it has to do with business or politics (ie. never) even then when I'm trying to help, people think I'm being incompetent

Hehe, I know what you mean - I very rarely take things seriously, and because I like to mess around in the office some people naturally assume I'm incompetant.  Whether they're right or not, of course, is another matter entirely ;)

Anyway, to keep on topic, I'm not shy, but I don't go up and talk to random people either. If I've got an opinion on something, you'll know about it. :)

Someone was saying the other day about how there are two main types of people - groupers, and singlers. A grouper is someone who is in their element when part of a group of say 4 or more people - they don't talk loads, but will gladly hold forth about their view in a group conversation. A singler, on the other hand, is quite shy and withdrawn when in a group, but talk to them on their own and they can talk for hours.

And then of course there are the last group of people who I really respect, like KANDYMAN, who have a good enough memory and confidence to relate stories and lead a group's conversation, and still be good to talk to one-on-one.

The human being is a strange animal. :)

Helm

I'm either pretty quiet, or pretty loud. Which depends on in what company I am. You'll see in Mittens.
WINTERKILL

Archangel (aka SoupDragon)

Me? I'm nothing but a bloody oxymoron. A confused 15 year old, who has no idea who he is. Am I a criminal? A saint? A preacher a mosher a geek a freak a poet a musician a technician. I have no friends, yet everyone is my friend. I'm always right in that most of the time I'm wrong. Everyone you talk to would say a different thing about me, which is confusing as hell for me! I'm trying to be the nice guy, but it's so bloody hard with teenage machoism that most of the time I just give up and do my best to conform. Which then makes me feel guilty for abandoning people who would otherwise be my 'real' friends. Where does learning social skills stop and artificially changing your personality begin? That's something that nobody can learn in just 15 years.

Was that sickeningly poetic enough for you? Yes? Good.

c.leksutin

Since I think I have social anxety(sp??) disorder, I dont go out much, I only talk to people if they start... once I get somewhat comfortable, I can be quite chatty some times.  Otherwise I'm the strong, silent type, sitting at the back of the pub just observing.  

The song "passenger" by Iggy Pop sums me up pretty well I think.

C.

Helm

Isn't that song about being drunk and shagging a goat and then throwing up on it while doing it?
WINTERKILL

Ben

Well, I think I'm kind of similar to lex (except for the goat thing). I rarely start conversations, and I'm even a bit shy about joining in conversations with friends. I also observe more than I speak.. As a result, I know everything about everyone, but nobody knows anything about me.

And I like it that way.

(creepy laughter)

Matt Brown

I am quite an extrovert. I love and crave attention, which is why I love the performing arts. I try very hard to be funny, but my humor doesn't really come across to well on message boards.

word up

Made Up Character

I am a tree.

I am 30 m. high and made of glucose (no ftuctose mofo!!!).  I have a mane that streches down to my ankles and brushes up against the truly worthy.  My arms are bursting with sap.

Around fat people I tend to act squidgy, around skinny people, clean.  I eat what I say I'm goung to eatt and I never howl in constipated areas.  I like to read.

EverytThursday I was my car, which is an ordinary blue Comero, decorated with an amuzing plastic-rubbery foam sculpted in the shape of a camel's hump (it rises from the hood, defying our expectations iof where a hump would be).

On wednesdays I go shopping and have buttered scones for tea, but that's only since I found a new way to walk, walk, walk.  I am currently learning Cantonese through osmosis.  Generally I'm shy, but I'm also a rude, egotistical racist arsehole, but only in the metophorical sense.

And I lost my leaves in '39.

That about sums me up.

Fairwig

I'm a people person.  Very opinionative at times, and it tends to get me in trouble.   I'm freindly to people who aren't fake.  Probably why I like people on the net so much, you really can't tell if there fake or not.  It's bad tho when you CAN tell.
I like to talk and roleplay.  Probably because I'm an actress.  
I'm also a little loopy.  I like to watch stuff too.

Fairwig

(P.S.  I like nude people....shhh....don't tell.)

gemen

I am a very nice, understanding person who is always listening. I love to talk, so striking up a convo is no problem for me. I am outwardly childish. This is due to my outlook on life. I am always looking for beauty. I am a hopeless romantic who's passion for beauty leaves him helpless; it's quite simple.

Despite this, though, I have been hardened by much trauma throughout my life. I consider myself to be very wise for my age (18). I think I can handle just about any emotionally greuling situation with a certain level of ease.

Sounds great, huh? well, it is. I am just a nice guy.

Oh yeah, one thing I forgot. My mind wanders helplessly. This prevents me from holding down a job, doing schoolwork, ......getting anything done, really. I always have brilliant ideas and schemes that I never follow through with because I think of better ones the next day. It really sucks. My interests shift on a seemingly weekly basis. I live in kind of a fantasy world, if you will.

"Everybody seems to think I'm lazy. I don't mind. I think they're crazy." -John Lennon

amaranth

I used to think I was shy, but later came to realize that most of the conversations floating around me were uninteresting. It's hard to say interesting things about uninteresting subjects. In these situations, I usually float off into daydream land.

Once in a while I meet fascinating people who get the wheels in my mind turning. Around these types of people, I can talk and talk and talk.

Maybe you're hanging out with your wrong type of people?

Like RPGs? Play Ahriman's Prophecy!!
www.amaranthia.com

gemen

certainly not. I hang out with clones of myself, so to speak.

(I hope you were addressing me just there)
"Everybody seems to think I'm lazy. I don't mind. I think they're crazy." -John Lennon

amaranth

I was thinking of psy, don't worry :)
Like RPGs? Play Ahriman's Prophecy!!
www.amaranthia.com

rodekill

I'm like Helm and C.

I can be pretty outgoing, but most of the time I prefer to just sit back and observe. I suppose it depends how much I know the people I'm with at the time.

Unless I've been drinking, then all bets are off.

But don't do that 'cause it makes baby Jesus cry and stuff.
SHAWNO NEWS FLASH: Rodekill.com, not updated because I suck at animation. Long story.
peepee

Pesty

I'm a grumpy hermit. It's a surprise I don't live in a cave and throw rocks at tresspassers. I could be considered shy, but it's more that I have a hard time talking due to my brain thinking faster than my mouth can work, which gives me my "Crazy, Old, Evil Guy" stutter. And I also don't like idle conversations like "How about that weather?" or "God help me, I'm trapped under this elephant!", so I don't talk unless the conversations is interesting and/or important. I also like to use metaphors and similies more than most people, which makes people think I'm insane. Which, of course, I am. I also worry too damn much and I have gemen's problem of the restless mind.
ACHTUNG FRANZ: Enjoy it with copper wine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

Unilin

Well, I suppose I'm almost exactly like Piraty Pete, there, except instead of throwing rocks at people, I eat their planets.  And instead of an American chcik, I'm a space faring robot.  But other than that, right down to the stutter when I forget to pace my speech and the similies/metaphores which fly out of my mouth of their own volition.  Such as "It's like having a rickity, wooden carnival in your own room."
"He is the deadliest man alive and I want him dead."  -- The Boss, Ett Buttert Utter

Nothing in the universe is certain, probably.

TheYak

I'm fairly talkative one-on-one, I suppose.  I just don't really care for most people.  I find that people in general act and speak without thought or reason saying things that don't matter.   I like randomity and humor, definately but I don't go for many of the things that are fairly common in "civilized company."  If someone sneezes, I don't say, "Bless you."  If someone asks how I am, they'd better want to know -- I don't ask unless I actually want to know.  One comment on the weather is fine but an entire 10-minute conversation about it is inane.  Maybe I act/sound a bit egotistical but I really prefer only to invest myself in pleasurable/productive company.  I am not the sort to try and be nice just so that I don't offend somebody.  Not that I can't be tactful (or at least try).  

For an example, look at the message board I choose.  With very few exceptions, I've chosen one with the best group of talented, intelligent and humorous people I've yet found on the internet.  I hope you liked it, cause that's about as sugar-coated as I get.

rodekill

Haha.
Sometimes someone will be talking to me and in my head I'm going "Why the hell would you think I'd be interested in any of this?"
I agree that sometimes people seem to like to talk just to hear their own voices.

And please ask your avatar to stop staring at me.
SHAWNO NEWS FLASH: Rodekill.com, not updated because I suck at animation. Long story.
peepee

TheYak

Quote from: rodekill on Sat 18/01/2003 03:49:00And please ask your avatar to stop staring at me.

Done.

c.leksutin

yeah I should add, when I say I dont go out much, what I really mena is: I dont leave the house other then for food or to go to work.. I dont like talking to most people due to the fact that most people have the intelligence of a tree slug...

C.

Femme Stab Mode >:D

I can always start a conversation in no matter how big or small group of people I am. I always have something to say. Because of my unpleasant voice people hate talking to me when I'm angry, and I'm always angry. I'm only nice at Christmas time and I never lick envelopes-I use glue instead, cause I don't trust envelopes. I can't be called shy, I can only be called a non-stop lean mean talking machine, however, I never talk nonsense and pick inteligent topics. I'm an Army cadet and people in my unit call me "crazy russian" cause I always do something stupid and end up in pain. When I fell off a cliff in cadets everyone laughed. When I burned my neck with a hot gun barell the range sergeant laughed for ages. Overall, I'm the laughing stock of the nation. And I can act. Performing arts is easy for me. That's all folks.
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

Quickstrike

I'm the smart guy in class.  I know all the answers.  i'm the guy who could go insane any second and just sits there and reads, schemes, and thinks.
"You know something people,  I'm not black, but there's a whole buncha times I wish I could say 'I'm not white'"-Frank Zappa, "Trouble Every Day"

I'm the smart person in class as well and I hate it. I used to  get bullied for answers in primary school because I was the smartest and the smallest. And the russian teachers turned their backs on me because they believed if you got beaten, you deserved it.
Life's a bitch in that way.
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

Timosity

I'm a quiet sort of person. I do my own thing without being too persuaded by the crowd.

I enjoy playing sports, I play cricket in a Local competition. Enjoy going to pubs and having a few quiet frosty ones. Essential after a game of cricket.

I have a few different groups of friends and rarely the groups intertwine with each other, but it's good when they do.

My best friends are spread out over large distances eg. Canberra, Singapore, Newcastle(aus) and various places in Sydney(it is quite a large city, Sydney's coast line is over 100km and it goes west more than 50km) so even some of my nearer friends are a fair distance away.

When we all get together, which is rare, we have the best conversations, and the most intelligent, compared to my regular friends I see all the time.

I start a conversation if I think it will be interesting to others.
I don't often speak to strangers although sometimes I wish I was more confident and do so.

I'm shy infront of new people sometimes and other times it is quite easy, it just depends on how well you click I guess.

Some friends I've had for over 20 years, some around 10 and others that may or may not remain friends, only time will tell.

but I have a lot more acquaintances.

I become more closed off and shy when I've had a few drinks, which is the opposite of most people. But I can Have much deeper one on one chats when I'm drunk.

I try not to drink too much these days, I'm trying to get more healthy.

I'm 1.77metres 5 ft 8' weigh about 65kg 143 pounds

and I'm a statistics freak, mainly sport, mainly cricket but I'm just fascinated with numbers

but who really cares

Edit: I am also truly nocturnal, I just went outside for 5 minutes and saw 2 Tawney Frogmouth owls, a few fruit bats, a ringtail possum and a brushtail possum. The beauties of nature at my door step. They are also my friends.

Las Naranjas

Profane, friendly with a hint of caustic irony that is never detected, and arrogant beyond belief.

Movement of character both effeminate and overtly masculine, the same with speech that gets lauded by fools as articulate, yet is puctuated constantly by swearing.

it's a cultural thing...
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

GameFreek(aka Ari)

:) I am a writer of poems and lyrics. I love to draw.I can be that of annoyance at times...but I think Im a pretty nice person above all.Yes Im a rock and roll girl. I love all rock music and metal..stuff like that. I think Im not as shy as I was in previous years of life. I've become more confident in doing what I want..and so that me.
Im gonna kill!! YAY!!! you deaddd....

remixor

I am extremeley reserved until something or someone starts me off about something I really love or really hate.  Then I'm probably either very enthusiastic or very frustrating.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Archangel (aka SoupDragon)

Whoa Gamefreek... not that I mind or anything, but why exactly have you just dug up two posts from JANUARY?

Robert Eric

I'm not shy, and usually very blunt.  Sometimes I become very violent, but I never shout.  I don't argue, because, frankly, I can't win.  I don't know anything about anything.  I don't like to be alone.  I'm paranoid when I'm alone.  I hear noises that don't exist, things that aren't there, etc..  I am a black belt in Kempo Karate.  I started only because I thought I was getting fat and out of shape, and I continued because I couldn't get the nerve to stop.  And I'm a filthy pervert.
Ã, Ã, 

Pesty

Quote from: Archangel on Tue 12/08/2003 23:25:26
Whoa Gamefreek... not that I mind or anything, but why exactly have you just dug up two posts from JANUARY?

Yeah, but if she started similar topics, people would tell her there's already been a topic about it. This way is better, in my opinion.
ACHTUNG FRANZ: Enjoy it with copper wine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

Evil

The noobies are getting smarter... ¬¬ This is a very dangerous thing...

Pessi

Archangel, in addition to Pestilence's very valid point, very few new people find the time to get acquainted with the community by browsing the old threads. I think GameFreek deserves full credit for that. Not to take any away from you though, as you just pointed the fact out. But I'm glad this thread came up as I hadn't seen it before.

I just hope Fruitree is still here somewhere to read his thread. :-\

Anyways, I consider myself as a pretty social and outgoing person. It's just that often I don't WANT to know some people and that leads to them thinking I'm somewhat shy or introvert. I just think relationships either work or they don't. I know many people who chat this and that with everyone and really knows none of them. I don't think it serves any purpose.

I must admit I have trouble starting discussion with someone I'd really like to get to know better. But then again, it's about the same thing: I don't feel comfortable talking with someone about a matter that really doesn't interest me. Seems like there are many like me in that matter here.

It's really hard to find the right kind of company. Different kinds of people bring different things out of me. Some bad, some good. And when it comes to AGS community in general, it often seems to be the best. Helpfulness, politeness, thoughtfulness, intelligence. They're features that I actually never thought I had so strong before I joined AGS Forums. I'm not saying I really am any of that, but it has helped me in creating a more positive view about myself and eventually, start acting accordingly.

In real life I'm a bit different, though my friends still generally regard me perhaps nicer and more thoughful than the regular guy. The fact of the matter is, one can not be very helpful or thoughtful in real life. I don't really have a problem with that, but it's a bit unfortunate when people are after all so intelligent. Perhaps it's just that people often are pretty "shallow", so to say, in company of many people, but then compensate that when they're with their loved ones. I realized that when my friend just started his army service at the same time I finished it. He was all like he was going to hold a knife with his teeth going all "Geronimo!" or "turtle power!" and all confident. But then my friend told me that he was actually really stressed out and really worried about the service. He had told her that personally because he doesn't want us to think he's a wussy or anything. Though I don't see anything to be ashamed there.

Anyway, it seems like I'm talking about relationships more than of anything else. But hey, we think of ourselves through our relationships, right? I suppose you are what your friends are... Well, not quite.

I think the most frustrating thing about the whole issue is when people respect you because of your talents and achievements, not for what you really are. Oh, and the other thing is when you go all off-topic.

MachineElf

I'm just your regular pimp'n'pusher on the dark street corner. Wear mostly furs and a lot of goldchains, often pretending to be black. It's all in the buisiness really. Privately I like beating up children, but that's just a hobby really, and too much time at the job, you know: protecting your assets and stuff, takes time from all the fun in life.
So, you want some nice ice to fry your brain? You know who to call. Guess who made Mittens such an experience?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Me? Oh shit I have changed since I last posted here.
Well, I'm less talkative now. I can't focus on anything unless it interests me, so at school I mostly sleep.I started a rebelion at my school last year. With flyers and people writting angry letters to school and some protesting. I'd like to start a revolution one day ;D, I'd be funny. And I have weird ideas. That's about it.
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

earlwood

I'm real life I'm a matthew, I like video games,rock, and long walks on the beach  ;D ...but really I just kinda the clown of the group, kind of a jock..but not coaches buddie kind of jock...,I'm a geek.  I'm just like on the forums but I talk a bit more often and I'm not as caustiosous about my choice of words or my spelling.  :)

m0ds

Sorry, never realised I'd made that "dont preach" comment lol, looking back on it it was a bit mean.

I wouldn't say Helm was loud necessarily, but very talkative at Mittens.

I don't think I was very loud or talkative tho ;)

m0ds

MonkeySpank

I'm a very popular guy where I live and I am very talkative and verry "cool" like Fonzy.

:)

seriously.
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

m0ds

Then i'm the complete opposite.

Seriously.

:P
m0ds

Hobbes

I'm suave, charming and deadly sexy.

Er.

Did I mention I'm a compulsive liar as well? ;)

But anyway... I'm a bit of the quiet type myself. Friendly, I'd say. I'm somewhat of the "clown" character when around my friends. But I'm actually quite capable of sane conversations as well.

ravenfusion

Well my name is Jeff, I'm 13, and I live in the U.K. Now to my personality, sometimes i'm quiet, sometimes i'm loud, and sometimes i'm in the mood for taking the piss of this manly girl at my school...

Most of the time i'm friendly (except to the manly girl and her friends :P). I can make anybody laugh, but it's hard to do it on the internet. :'( I pretty much act like myself on the internet most of the time. When online, i'm not ashamed of who I am in anyway and I love to get let people know about me. I like to express my super duper love for art and sometimes my creativity of pretty much anything.

I am pretty athletic and I enjoy watching wrestling and doing it for real. I like taking risks, if there is something I feel I can't do, I'll do it anyway.

When it comes to art, I can turn a picture of a dog into a  ball-sucking space gerbil in a matter of minutes!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk