Shoot, I Got Abducted!

Started by ThreeOhFour, Mon 12/05/2008 13:33:00

Previous topic - Next topic

ThreeOhFour

Shoot, there ain't nothin' Bob Cornhusk likes more'n sittin' on his truck and watchin' the sunset with a few beers after a hard day's work.

But dangit, a feller can't even sit down fer a quiet moment without them UFO critters suckin' yer up fer a bit o' probin'.

But heck, Bob Cornhusk ain't a feller to be takin' a probin' if there's some way he can be stoppin' it. Time to get escapin'!

This game was created in just 3 days for the first Adventure Developers design competition. It is rather short in length, however you should get a few minutes of fun out of it :).

My special thanks to Sebastian, who only got my email requesting music yesterday and came back with a cosmic hoedown quicker than Uncle Leroy can load up his raccoon gun.

A quick note for the easily offended: The game does, on rare occasions, have elements of toilet humor in it. I doubt anyone will find it overbearingly crude, but if jokes* about bottoms and their associated functions are incredibly offensive to you, you may wish to give this game a miss.

Play the game!

*Note: “Jokes” not guaranteed to actually be funny.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Wheee, a playable version of "Bob gets abducted!" ;D;D;D
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

ThreeOhFour

Heh, I aim to please ;D

EDIT: One big ol' game bustin' bug squashed like a cockroach (hopefully). Big thanks to Inkoddi and Akatosh for pointing it out, and Akatosh for his suggestions on fixing it :D.

kaputtnik

Heyhey, not too many people down for this virtual shindig yet - maybe them's still out to hoe the corn and prod the cattle.

Anyway, here's a more convenient link than the kitty counting one on rapidshare: Shoot!

Was a pleasure to fiddle some music together in my dusty ole cabin with nothing more but a dusty ole midi keyboard and a kind of dusty old computer, you know the kind...
I, object.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Nice work, Ben.  I like the visual style and the humor.  I spotted two bugs so far, though:

Spoiler
When you talk to the alien on the monitor, you should do a FaceLocation(x-1,y) first, since I was facing right for the whole thing.
[close]

and

Spoiler
you can still go through the force field by clicking on the gun.  A really simple way of fixing this would be to create a walkable area in a rectangular zone by the field and turn it on only when the field is disabled, or just have the gun check to see if the field is on.
[close]

Edit:  I played through the rest of it and found it most amusing.  Well done!

TwinMoon

*finished it* Nice one, Ben! Everything is better when said in a southern drawl. Also, I's would like ta meet yer cousin Sally ;)

Quote from: Ben304 on Mon 12/05/2008 13:33:00A quick note for the easily offended: The game does, on rare occasions, have elements of toilet humor in it.

If this isn't a recommendation I don't know what it ;)

WHAM

Played and finished... and liked!

The game itself only got me smiling, but as I recognized the song in the credits... I burst into real laughter! ^__^

Great job!
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Buckethead

Quote from: kaputtnik on Mon 12/05/2008 17:20:27

Anyway, here's a more convenient link than the kitty counting one on rapidshare: Shoot!

I'm usually alright with rapidshare but Damn those kittens are getting on my nervs! 

markbilly

That was amazing, a really great little game!

Not too easy, not too hard...

Your art is really impressive, and I hope we see more stuff from you really soon!

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Aw, ben...

Non-skippable introduction AND no save/load?! Killer combo!

Especially since I had to restart because you left debug mode on and I'd accidently given myself all inventory items.

Kneel. Now.

TheJBurger

Quote from: Buckethead on Mon 12/05/2008 18:26:01
Quote from: kaputtnik on Mon 12/05/2008 17:20:27

I'm usually alright with rapidshare but Damn those kittens are getting on my nervs! 
Agreed. Those kittens are evil. Maybe you should put this alternate link in the first post?

I played the game and I liked it! A plus for the graphics and the nice walk-cycle.
Two things I didn't like:
- When you already have an inventory item equipped, you can't select another one until you de-select your current item.
- Some items don't give interaction messages. For instance, I was trying to use everything on the tater, but I wasn't getting any feedback, so it discouraged me a bit.

Overall though, it was a nice game!  :)

Ryan Timothy B

Ben for a 3 day game, you've got skill! (can't wait to see LODE)

Only noticed one dialog bug:

Spoiler
it's when you ask the green fella how to open the force field -after- you have been given the 'object' that allows you to open it.  He goes through the dialog of saying he has the 'object' and will give it to you if you do the task for him (meanwhile he already has given it to me, and you've already done the task).
[close]

ThreeOhFour

ProgZ: Thanks for the bug reports. I'll see what I can do about putting those changes in. Also, glad you like the humor - was not 100% sure on how that'd go down.

TwinMoon: Glad to see I'm not the only one around here who likes a bit of toilet humor :D. Thank you for the nice comment :).

WHAM: Thanks for playing :). I'm glad the music got you laughing - Sebastian often manages to get a chuckle out of me, and he got the music for this together ultra fast, so it's nice to see his music catching people's attention.

markbilly: The puzzles are something I consider myself rather bad at, so it pleases me to hear people don't find them too easy. Thanks for the nice words about graphics.

Rui: Yep, my big fears releasing the game were about the Save/Load thing and the non skippable introduction. I guess I'd better get around to learning how to script these things up  :-\

JBurger: I think I will be working those two points out of the next build. Thanks for pointing them out. Also, thanks for compliments on the visuals. I really was rather pleased with the walk animation.

Ryan: Thanks for pointing out the bug. I'll get onto to that :). Glad you liked the game.

It seems as though there were a bit more bugs than anticipated, but most of these things seem easy enough for me to fix. I am very grateful for all of your comments. The AGS games page is working now, so I have uploaded it. If you have the inclination and the time, I would be most grateful if you'd mosey on down there and put up a rating for the game :).

Peder 🚀

Brilliant! ;D

Funny little game!

ThreeOhFour

Thankyou for your nice comment, Peder. I am pleased you enjoyed the game :)

Dualnames

Here's a mirror link hence you need it.

http://ledzepforever.googlepages.com/Shoot.zip

I will keep mirroring it for eternity provided you need it for so long..
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Frodo

You made this in just 3 days?   :o  I am impressed!   ;D

Lovely wee game.  I love the graphics and the humour.  I can just imagine his southern drawl.   :D

Do you have any plans to extend it, and...
Spoiler
find a way to rescue the other 2 aliens   :)
[close]

Excellent work Ben   ;)

IndieBoy

Lovely little game and also was great to break up my studying ;D 3 days you say! :o Wow!
Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Ah geez, I totally forgot to comment after my lil' issue with save/load and non-skippable-intro.

Great game! :D Logical, fun, eye-pleasing, really, what more could we ask for?

Now go and enter MAGS! If you've done this in 3 days, who knows what you'll come up with in 30!!!

Spoiler
Yeah, yeah, I know, Trance-Pacific. Great game, too. But that line was just too good not to say!
[close]

Kneel. Now.

ThreeOhFour

Dualnames: Thanks for the mirror link. I don't plan on being around for eternity - you can probably get rid of this in 60 years or so ;)

Frodo: No plans for a sequel just now, but I will keep the possibility in mind. Thanks for your kind words :).

IndieBoy: Thanks for the nice comment :)

Rui: Who does know what I'd come up with in 30 - probably something I got halfway through and then didn't feel like finishing ;D. I would enter MAGS more if I didn't have bigger projects I am rather keen on getting finished. Thanks for the lovely comments :D

Alarconte

Wa, Downloaded and played (what about, fiveteen minutes at much?

Well, I don't like this too smart games, I Love to get inmerse in the story, the art...

But I have to recognaize that the time I played was inmersing and interesting.

I love the alien art
Spoiler

(not the ... er... Famous Gungan master xD), the purple guy was so cute, and the tater... (and the girl)
[close]

But the first character doesn't like too much. One problem I have is that "village english" what a non-english-speaker could be maybe difficult to understand word by word.

But for 3 days work, is an funny esplendid game!

My opinion: A 30 minutes-1 hour duration game could be very fantastic, but this make me sad, make me thinking that could be great, but only ten minutes game is (I don't know how to say this word...] anonying? disgusting? make me sad?

But a great "game", yes ^^
"Tiny pixelated boobies are the heart and soul of Castlevania"

Galactic Battlefare Capital Choice Part 1 , finished, releasing soon
GBF CC Part 2, WIP

Dualnames

So you planning on using that mirror? :P Just add it as second mirror..:D

Ok, I'll give you sixty years then I'm gonna kil..eh stop the link.
Anyway, cool game. Nice intro.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Leon

Great game. Congratualtions!

Loved every BIT of it. Graphics, sounds. Right length, right puzzles. Not too hard, not too easy, just right!
Please don't do a sequel. There are enough sequels already and this game is great the way it is. Just because there's only one. Make more of those unique, creative and brilliant little games though. So if you have another 3 days to spare...

Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

Play_Pretend

Ha!  That was so cute.  My favorite part was the inner tube. :)

Great graphics, a very fun little game!  It only took me about 10 minutes to finish.  I can't wait to see "Shoot, I Got Indentured Servituded!" :)

ThreeOhFour

Alarconte: I'm glad you found the game interesting and liked the graphics. I understand some people are disappointed by short games, but I do not regret the length of the game - I enjoy shorter games myself. Thankyou for playing and taking the time to comment :).

Dualnames: Yessir, I'll get onto using that mirror as soon as I figure out how to add a second mirror ;D. I am pleased that you enjoyed the intro.

Leon: Thanks for your very kind words! I agree that a sequel would be rather pointless, and yes, I plan to make little projects like these every so often when I get bored :). I am sure I'll find 3 days somewhere in the future, but for now I have a couple of bigger projects which demand my attention.

Strange Visitor: Thank you for the nice comments :). The inner tube idea I knew was perfect - I chuckled as soon as LGM mentioned it to me :).

Dualnames

You can always change the rapidshare download link i guess. :D Finished it. Didn't take too long.

miguel

Finished the game as well! Congratulations! I spent some quality time playing your game, Ben!
Good jokes and graphics!
Working on a RON game!!!!!

BadlyDrawnGame

Hi. Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed the game, so thank you!

However, one thing needs doing if you recompile at any time
Spoiler
Add at least a sound effect, as feedback, when you press the numerals on the console.
I spent a great deal of time assuming I was looking for a keypad elsewhere as the buttons didn't seem to be working
[close]

Otherwise, great stuff and I look forward to more

TassieDevil

Great game, you got my vote on the game page!
I am glad you had a mirror, the main download page didn't work, it said quota exceeded or something like that and asked me to subscribe.

I didn't mind having no save option, you play it through in one hit anyway.
;D

ThreeOhFour

Dualnames: Thanks, I shall do that. Glad you didn't get stuck playing through :)

Miguel: Thanks for the nice words. I am pleased you had fun playing!

BadlyDrawnGame: I appreciate your kind comments - thankyou. The issue with the keypad had been brought to my attention and is now fixed :).

TassieDevil: I appreciate you taking the time to rate the game on the game page! I didn't think you'd need a save option, however everyone is different :).

For those interested, the game has now been updated! Things included in the update:

-Up/down walk/talk cycles for Bob.
-Skippable introduction.
-Basic save/load function.
-Visual/audio cues for keypad.
-Various dialog/bug fixes you'll find boring if I detail :).

A very big thanks to everyone who has played the game and also a special thanks to everyone who has commented on here or the games page. I really do appreciate it!

tube

Short, easy and left me smiling. Just the way I like 'em after a long day at work.

Games I mean, you dirty minded buggers. (Otherwise short wouldn't be a requirement.)

Gave my vote at the games page. I can hardly wait for whatever you decide to release next.

Mordalles

hey ben, really enjoyed the game! loved the walkcycle. great stuff.

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

ThreeOhFour

Tube: Thanks for your nice comments (and a spot of humor is always good too ;D). I appreciate you taking the time to vote :)

Mordalles: Thanks for playing, and for your nice comment about the walkcycle :D.

MashPotato

Very cute and enjoyable!  I enjoyed the cartoony graphics :)
Spoiler
and of course, anything to do with potatoes, particularly werepotatoes, is awesome ;D
[close]

Nice job, Ben!  Look forward to seeing more from you :)

EDIT: oops, wrong spoiler code--fixed ;)

ThreeOhFour

Hahaha, thanks Mash! I should have known that'd get me bonus points :)

I plan on having more to show soon :)

bicilotti

Seeing a lone man drawing/animating in such a beautiful way and displaying such consummate storyteller's abilities (albeit in a tiny and simple enviroment) warms my heart and makes wonder what awaits next in the AGS galaxy.

A question out of curiosity: in the first screen ("a game by Ben chandler") we see 7 blue squares placed in two columns. Is there a meaning behind such a logo?

edit: tunes are catchy and not boring, so handshake to the musician too!

kaputtnik

Hello there, bicilotti - as the musician I'd like to express my heartfelt thanks for your appreciation (especially since you took the inconcvenience of editing your original post) - these three tunes were rather hurriedly dispatched since Ben had already set the pace, be sure to check out Lode whenever it will be ready, it will feature some of my more elaborate (and hopefully still catchy and not boring) tunes and - compared to this here game - a whole galaxy of Ben's (definitely still consummate and not boring) storytelling and graphics.

I don't know if Ben wants me to give away the secret of the seven blocks, but I suppose I can give you a hint: Take a close look at his nickname.

You're really into the blocks and colors business, aren't you? :)
Not to go too far off topic, but since you dropped in: Good luck with finishing ColourWise, I've been keeping an eye on it ever since you have posted it and I love what you have revealed up to now.
I, object.

ThreeOhFour

Hey Bic - thanks for the nice comments! I never considered myself a storyteller much, so it's nice to think somebody liked my story. As for the 7 squares, yes they have a poorly veiled significance which Sebastian has hinted at. Thanks again for playing :D

SuperDre

Just played the game and it was a great short game.. Hope you'll expand it into a larger game, the character itself is quite a funny character...

neon

Just played through. Nice little game, no bugs, good thing for the coffee break.

Nostradamus

This was great. I loved Bob's redneck dialect  ;D
The way he talks is brilliantly funny. Nice dialogue with the aliens too.
This game was well written and well produced.
You gotta make more (longer) games starring Bob!

Cino

Nice fun game, but you really need to find a mirror, since the whole downloading thing seemed like another puzzle ;)

ThreeOhFour

SuperDre - Thanks for the kind words. I don't really plan on expanding it, but it's nice to know that you consider the game worthy of expansion :).

Neon - Thanks for your nice comment :)

Nostradamus - Thanks - I'm glad that the redneck speech worked well :D. Again, I don't really plan on making more games with Bob just now - maybe sometime in the future, perhaps.

Cino - Thanks - I could do you a walkthrough for the download if you'd like ;). I thought I had a mirror up for it  ??? I'll check again!

I would like to also thank Leon and Neon (heh!) for their reviews which can be found here:

Leon's review on SSH's AGS Blog

and here:

Neon's review on Adventure-Treff (German)

Thanks to you both for doing reviews! :D

Matti

Well, I just played through it and don't know what to write than things that have been said a hundred times before:

Funny dialect + dialogs, really nice graphics and I enjoyed playing it.

ThreeOhFour

Thanks for your nice comment, matti.

Babar

The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Ghost

ThreeOhFour

Yep, Steve was kind enough to include it in the bundle, which was pretty cool of him! It was kinda fun seeing as it'd been a long time since I'd heard anybody talking about it. :cheesy:

Dualnames

Oh, so you know about this? You even know the uploader! I think this is the quintessential Ben304 game, this is where it all started. All the ideas we came to love in every Ben304 game, is here in some way or another.

ThreeOhFour

Yep, I know Steve. Lovely chap!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk