George Carlin, dead at 71

Started by Pesty, Mon 23/06/2008 06:09:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Pesty

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25322638/

Hello everybody. I am not usually one to care so much about celebrity deaths, but this isn't just some regular old celebrity. This is George Carlin. Dude was a hardcore legend. Also he was Rufus in Bill and Ted, which maxes out his awesome.
ACHTUNG FRANZ: Enjoy it with copper wine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

Gregjazz

I'm speechless. RIP George Carlin.

BOYD1981

man that's really shitty, he was the only american stand-up comedian that i actually liked.

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

PsychicHeart

Damn. I only recently (a year ago, let's say?) started being interested in him and looking at all his old works and. Yeah. He will be missed.
Formerly known as Flukeblake, Flukezy etc.

Darth Mandarb

RIP Mr. Carlin ... I learned a lot from you.

Including the Seven Dirty Words: (spoiled for you weak eyed people)

Spoiler
Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker and Tits
[close]

evenwolf

In my opinion he was the second greatest standup comedian that ever lived.
"I drink a thousand shipwrecks.'"

Makeout Patrol

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Mon 23/06/2008 07:15:33
RIP Mr. Carlin ... I learned a lot from you.

Including the Seven Dirty Words: (spoiled for you weak eyed people)

Spoiler
Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker and Tits
[close]

Listening to my dad's record of this routine with my friend in his basement was pretty much the greatest part of my grade 8

This is awful. First Mitch Hedberg, now George Carlin. Soon there won't be any good stand-up comedians left.

edit: “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.”

Obi

:( but I put on George Carlin's Playin With Your Head while driving today and it made me laugh once again.

jetxl

Lenny Bruce, George Carlin and Richard Pryor. All changed stand up comedy, all dead.

Rincewind

Aw crap...  :-\ One of my favorite stand-up comedians. He always amazed me by how he kept being both angry, fast and bitingly funny, even though he was getting older. And now he's gone. Rest in peace, George!

voh

For those of you who don't know, he left us a parting gift in his HBO special called "It's Bad for Ya", performed in March of this year.

R.I.P. you smarmy bastard, you've given much joy.

*makes a dirty motion with his arm and goes PFFFFLRT*
Still here.

Stupot

I never even knew he was a stand-up.
still...

Party On Dude!

PsychicHeart

http://www.signmovies.net/videos/news/2008/20080624georgecarlininhell.html

Apparently Carlin is in hell, right now.
This was made on the 24th of June, 2008. So, yesterday.
These radical bastards made this video TWO DAYS after Carlin passed away.
The act in itself is despicable enough, but to not even allow for mourning is horrendous.
I'm sure if the deceased were among us to respond, he'd make quite the Motherfucker Cocksucker Shitfuck Piss-Tits of Phelps.
Ugh.  >:(
Formerly known as Flukeblake, Flukezy etc.

Khris

Afaik, George Carlin didn't want people to mourn. I think he mentioned it in his Napalm & Silly Putty books.
And isn't the Westboro Baptist Church that bunch of extremists who also pissed on Ledger's grave?
They can't be taken seriously anyway, and afaik they aren't, not even by the 'average' Christian.

I'm off to watch his latest HBO special.

Makeout Patrol

Quote from: Cherubgeist on Wed 25/06/2008 08:25:12

The act in itself is despicable enough, but to not even allow for mourning is horrendous.
I'm sure if the deceased were among us to respond, he'd make quite the Motherfucker Cocksucker Shitfuck Piss-Tits of Phelps.

This is exactly the sort of thing that George Carlin would want to happen after his death, I think.

evenwolf

Quote from: Cherubgeist on Wed 25/06/2008 08:25:12

Hahahaha, Carlin would have laughed his ass off at that video.  Makeout Patrol is right.   I wouldn't worry about it.    This kind of thing is right up Carlin's alley.   He made a career out of fucking with guys like Phelps.

Picketing his funeral is fucked tho.   It's a pain in the ass that his first amendment rights let's him do that.    But that's the country we live in...   in the end a picket at Carlin's funeral is the perfect ending for someone who stood up for first amendment rights and against censorship all his life.   There's a little beauty in the picket itself... I just sympathize with Carlin's friends and loved ones who won't be able to mourn in the traditional sense.

Matti

Hey, just watched him for the first time. Smart and funny guy.

Play_Pretend

My gods, yeah...I just discovered him literally only a couple weeks ago...I listened to his material for a week straight on my MP3 player at work, it kept me awake better than soda and sometimes I laughed so hard I couldn't type.  Damn.

Guess that was my pre-emptive wake for him.

Well, I hope he went out with a bow and a few choice swears.  Here's to you, George.

Darth Mandarb

Oh man ...

That video is so perfectly and exactly what Mr. Carlin was talking about all these years!

That close-minded, ignorant fool (Phelps) couldn't have more succinctly proved Carlin's point!

So I want to send out a big virtual "Thank You" to Mr. Phelps.

Of course ... I have to assume he knows full-well how stupid and ignorant he is being and it's probably (as I'm not the first to suggest) just a publicity stunt.

evenwolf

Dude, Phelps's whole career is a publicity stunt.  But I think the part about realizing *anything* about his actions is unlikely.

He just goes on, doing what he does.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk