Nanobots

Started by The Ivy, Fri 27/06/2008 13:59:22

Previous topic - Next topic

piperhcombs

Makes sense (the clock different number thing). I already mentioned that the combo as indicated by a certain something worked this time, though I swear it didn't work the first time.

On a another note, I've finished the game! Thanks for the help guys and job well done Ivy! Also, sorry bout turning the Completed Games thread into a Hints and Tips thread.

Also, Ivy: I'm not sure if this is a glitch or if you did that way on purpose, but there is an alternative method to get incensium:

Spoiler
I think the actual way Ivy meant for the player to get purple incensium was to mix the blue and red chemicals, but if you simply have Hotbot heat up the empty beaker (nothing in it), a purple liquid forms inside the beaker (which, if Chembot mixes it, will turn brown. If you add the yellow chemical to this purple liquid (as directed by the recipe) and mix, the mixture turns brown but if you then have Hotbot heat it  up again, the liquid turns white and you have successfully created the white acid.
[close]
:cheers: + :claps:

Temperance&Booth  Sydney&Vaughn  Nadia&Weiss

Fleshstalker

WOW! Finally, Ivy! I've been waiting for your next game!

I played a few minutes as a taste and so far it's quite impressive! I will have to play and beat this once I get done with a few Xbox 360 games I am currently playing.  ;D

robvalue

Awesome game, this my favourite game so far.

I loved the characters and the interaction, I felt sad to leave them when the game was finished!

GarageGothic

Great little game. I foresee at least a couple of AGS Awards coming your way. I must admit I used hints at a couple of spots:

Spoiler
there's no way I'd figured using the acid on the outlet, and for some reason I never considered that there could be a hidden message on the postcard - though it did seem weird that it had no writing.
[close]

But overall the puzzles were excellent. If it wasn't a one-room (ok, two-room) game, I would probably criticize it for being too open, but it is actually great fun playing around with the different skills and elements of the environment. A couple of parts even reminded me of Bad Mojo, which is never a bad thing.

EdLoen

Thoroughly enjoyable game ^__^.

there is one thing that I wanted to note:

Spoiler

After knocking the books over and strongbot gets depressed with audbot's comment, if strongbot happens to have the flowers at the time (like he did in my game at first), there's nothing I could do to cheer him up.  I had a save just a little prior to pushing the books so it wasn't really a big issue, but it's something i wanted to bring up.
[close]

Vince on Vacation

Actually Ed:

Spoiler
Yes you can!  Just trade items with him with an item from someone else!  He'll begrudgingly give you the flowers, which you can give right back!

As far as I know, there are no dead ends in the game!
[close]

ginuk

Actually, I think I found a dead-end/bug  :D

Spoiler
If you push the gumball machine while the coin is still inside, the coin will disappear.
[close]

I

Spoiler
The coin reapears,iIf you push it around some more
[close]

piperhcombs

@ginuk:

Also,
Spoiler
if you simply use Tallbot to "pick up" on the spot where the coin was, Tallbot will automatically pick the coin back up. There are also at least three coins in Groovy Greg's lab coat pocket. Once you use those up, the last coin will regurgitate every time you use it.
[close]

Vince on Vacation

ginuk, Nice eye!  That is indeed a little graphical bug.  Not a dead end, though.  I'll iron that out with the other two bugs that have been found as soon as I get back to my computer.  Thanks!

SmootH

Wow, what a nice game.  One of the puzzles was diabolical but the rest were just the right difficulty to allow the game to flow.  Kudos Ivy, Vince and Scorp!

These may or may not be a glitches:
Spoiler

1. I didn't have to use two parts green goo to get my hot air balloon to rise.  I just mixed the two base components then added the coffee then the glitter, mixed and heated.

2. During the opening sequences, some of Brainbot's dialog flows underneath the other sprites depending where he's standing. I didn't write down where it happens exactly, sorry! I'll run through the again to point it.  Though this may be a stylistic thing to show no one listens to him...
[close]

Is this the sort of game that you can get into a dead-end situation? because I ran into some headaches picking stuff up and trying to juggle items especially the vials. example:
Spoiler
when making the hot air balloon gas, i mixed the formula incorrectly, using two yellows and two blues, I put in the coffee, handed the coffee off to another bot, grabbed the glitter and added that. Since the formula was wrong, nothing happened and I couldn't exchange the glitter for the coffee and the other bot wouldn't put the coffee into the beaker.
[close]
There is nothing, NOTHING ointment can't cure!

Cino

Quote from: SmootH on Tue 01/07/2008 05:04:10
These may or may not be a glitches:
Spoiler

1. I didn't have to use two parts green goo to get my hot air balloon to rise.  I just mixed the two base components then added the coffee then the glitter, mixed and heated.
[close]
Spoiler

It's not a glitch. Let's say you have one glass of milk and one glass of water. If you mix them together you won't end up with only one glass of liquid, right?
[close]

Quote from: SmootH on Tue 01/07/2008 05:04:10
Is this the sort of game that you can get into a dead-end situation? because I ran into some headaches picking stuff up and trying to juggle items especially the vials. example:
Spoiler
when making the hot air balloon gas, i mixed the formula incorrectly, using two yellows and two blues, I put in the coffee, handed the coffee off to another bot, grabbed the glitter and added that. Since the formula was wrong, nothing happened and I couldn't exchange the glitter for the coffee and the other bot wouldn't put the coffee into the beaker.
[close]
Spoiler

You can pick up an empty tube with any bot and the can place the glitter where the other tube was.
[close]

Nice game by the way. Good job. Very original.

SmootH

Cino,

While your explanation may work in the real world depending on sizes of glasses, but were dealing with a bottomless glass in game.  The first recipe only needed one part of mixture and was represented by one vial.  The second recipe calls for two parts (two vials) unless I misinterpreted it.

Secondly, dead-end does exist if you do the following:
Spoiler
Incorrectly mix green chemicals, attempt to reset system by using vacuum to empty beaker and refill the base chemical test tubes.
[close]

My point was to display a situation with a dead end rather than look for a way to avoid it.  You can avoid it by doing the recipe right in the first place.
There is nothing, NOTHING ointment can't cure!

piperhcombs

@SmootH:

Actually the second recipe is much the same as the first.
Spoiler
It asks for two parts/vials green- to get that, just mix one part blue and one part yellow- if you think about mixing one part plus one part equals two parts.  If you reread the first recipe, it asks for TWO parts incensium (purple), not one. The same logic follows for purple incensium from the first recipe- one part red plus one part blue blue equals two parts purple.
[close]
I previously posted an explanation similar to Cino's logic in the Hints and Tips Thread: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=34949.msg457530#msg457530
Someone made the same computing/logic error you did. This may be a game, but basic math still exists, just like in the chemistry lab. Sure it doesn't show as two parts in the beaker because the liquid level never rises above a certain point on the beaker, but you still have to do it right.

Secondly, there is  a slight glitch as pointed out in the Hints and Tips thread by another user concerning the first recipe: you can mix double the about of purple incensium called for
Spoiler
two vial/parts blue and two parts red to make four parts purple instead of the one vial blue and one vial red  to male two parts purple as actually called for
[close]
and still be able to complete the acid recipe. This glitch is not present in the second recipe- you can only mix it the correct way.

Also, the "dead end": I originally thought this was a dead end too and posted about it in the Hint and Tips thread. However it was pointed out to me my another user that it was not a dead end (which I should have known).
Spoiler
I'm assuming you means the situation where you've refilled all three vials and Chembot is holding the glitter. You've probably assumed that sine chembot is the only one that can handle the chemicals. Not completely true. All you have to do is have another bot (other than Chembot) pick up one of the colored chemical tubes from the wall. You'll get a little explosion cutscene and presto! Said bot now has an empty test tube and Chembot can now put the glitter down on the empty spot on the test tube rack.
[close]

All of the glitches/dead ends you have brought up have already been raised and disproved/explained on the Hints and Tips thread. Next time check all game threads (completed games and hints and tips) to make sure it hasn't already been posted.

Ghost

Amazement- this was so totally worth the wait. I'm not only glad you finished this, I'm equally glad I am now playing it: Highly enjoyable!

The details you put into that game are amazing- from the "pixel fight" and the Blade Runner reference to the artwork. Thumbs up, lady!

EDIT:
As I progress, more and more amazing stuff. I just love the way the team interacts... the witty writing, and the clever use of the "architecture" of the desk.

You've made me a fanboy!

Zyargeikunn

The game is great, from the graphics to the puzzles, but somehow it creates a Nanobots subfolder in my "My Documents" folder (resp. "Eigene Dateien", my Windows is german), but the savegames are in a subfolder in the Nanobots game folder (where they belong).

Khris

Very funny, well executed, superb graphics, perfect scripting, very original, simply one the best games I've ever played.

Ghost

Quote from: Zyargeikunn on Wed 02/07/2008 12:13:55
The game is great, from the graphics to the puzzles, but somehow it creates a Nanobots subfolder in my "My Documents" folder (resp. "Eigene Dateien", my Windows is german), but the savegames are in a subfolder in the Nanobots game folder (where they belong).

It's common for AGS to create this folder in Eigene Dateien, but Ivy has obviusly written own code to place her savegames. No need to worry.

SSH

Quote from: Ghost on Wed 02/07/2008 13:54:03
Quote from: Zyargeikunn on Wed 02/07/2008 12:13:55

It's common for AGS to create this folder in Eigene Dateien, but Ivy has obviusly written own code to place her savegames. No need to worry.

Its not possible to write code to do that in AGS! You can change some settings in AGS 3.01 that affect this, though (3.01 was used for Nanobots)

The Ivy

Well, I just got back from four days without the internet, and while the first day felt a bit like rehab, I finally got used to the pace and relaxation of the unconnected life. That being said, the first thing I did when I got home was check this thread, and I was happy to see so many of you liked the Nanobots. :)

First, piperhcombs, Buckethead, Kadji-san, Dave, Nikolas, nihilyst, Leon, TwinMoon, ProgZ, Grundislav, Fleshstalker, robvalue, GarageGothic, EdLoen, SmootH, Cino, Ghost, Zyargeikunn, & KhrisMUC, thanks so much for the kind words! This game suffered quite a few setbacks in the last year and a half (mostly due to my being in school), and it's this kind of feedback that makes all the work worth it. So thanks again for taking the time to play. :-,

@ piperhcombs, sorry the game is a bit on the challenging side. ;) I know the item-juggling can seem almost impossible at times, but as far as I know, there are no dead ends in the game. Also, regarding the clock, the numbers look different in the faraway view because it's tilted, thus necessitating the close-up view. Hope it wasn't too confusing! (Also, we'll get that incensium bug fixed soon...good catch!)

@ not with a bang, thanks for being my go-to hint man in my absence (and JBurger as well, in the hints thread).

@ Grundislav, remind me to bring my Fimo to Mittens and you may get your wish.

@ Fleshstalker, I expect a full report when you're finished. ;)

@ robvalue, wow, that's really unexpected and cool. I'm glad you enjoyed the game as much as you did. :)

Spoiler
And I couldn't really bear to leave them at the end either, which is why I made that mini-game.
[close]

@ GarageGothic, I'm glad the puzzles worked for you! I finished designing them so long ago that I kind of forgot they were that hard. I think this project has taught me the importance of giving the player clear objectives, so I'll definitely watch that in the future. Although, I do like to think part of the enjoyment in Nanobots is just the novelty of having six colourful little guys running around and swearing at each other. ;)

@ SmootH, thanks dude. :) No dead ends that I know of, although I'll have to look into those bugs you mentioned.

Spoiler
We might have to tweak those puzzles so that they obey the law of conservation of matter (or just make them consistent). The trouble with having such an open-ended puzzle (you can mix the three colours any way you like) is that it's hard to catch all the little things that can go wrong.
[close]

Glaring physics errors aside, I'm really glad you enjoyed the game! Thanks for coming back to AGS to say so. :)

@ Cino, wow, I'm impressed that you caught on to my (weird) logic so well. I thought the "two vials" thing might trip some people up, but I'm glad it kinda sorta makes sense. ;)

@ Ghost, D'awwww. I like your games too. :) I promise I'll get around to finishing "Once Upon a Crime" some time soon.

@ KhrisMUC, that seriously made me break out into a huge grin. I called my boyfriend over so I could read that line out loud to him. :)

So, anybody find the two Easter eggs yet? ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk