MAGS 2008-07: Retrofest!

Started by Klaus, Tue 01/07/2008 08:23:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportunity to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

You are not allowed to (re)use material already created before this competition, you game must be completely new! An exception goes for sounds and music where you can also use free material that is available to the public.

Please do not just enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created in just some hours or a few days)!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Topic: Retrofest!

Let's go back in time with this month's guidelines set by last month's winner ProgZmax:

Rules:

1.  In order to give all entrants the greatest chance of completing a game you are asked to emulate a more simplistic graphical style, like CGA, EGA, AGI, C64, Apple IIe -- or any other retro system -- even Atari! (anything up to and including the NES in terms of complexity is fair game).  These were used for some of the classic adventure games like Maniac Mansion, King's Quest, and many more.  Low colors and simplistic graphics should allow you to focus on the most important part of any game:  the fun.

2.  You must have fun while making this game.  If you did not enjoy making it, we will not enjoy playing it!

3.  You must adhere to the limitations of the style you are emulating.  For example, if you use AGI/C64 then everything must be drawn with a 2x1 pixel.  Some systems have tough color restrictions per sprite as well, so pick an older system that most appeals to you and remember that this competition isn't about the most beautiful sprites or backgrounds but about gameplay and fun!

4.  Make it clear which format you are emulating upon submission, just in case there are people who have not seen it before.

5.  Any genre of game is acceptable.  Jump n' runs, rpg, adventure, action, you name it (as long as you can complete it in a month).  Even text adventures are fine!

If you need some help finding palettes/examples of the style you're after, a quick google image search will find all of what I've mentioned above (and more).

That's all.  Now make some FUN games to play!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All games need to be in by July 25th 27th.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

And to help get you started, here's a program that will let you generate old style sounds for your game!

http://www.cyd.liu.se/~tompe573/hp/project_sfxr.html

Brad Newsom

Okay, I have to enter this. ProgZ, push me to actually do this one! I MUST GET AT LEAST ONE MAGS done!

All updates will be held in this post.

Platform: PC
Color/Palette: 1981 4bit CGA w/ Dithering
Resolution: 512x320
Genre: Scifi/Adventure
Control Style: Point n' Click & Arrow Keys
Audio Type: Emulated System Sounds

Title:
Description:

Update 01: I changed my story and title to something more serious. Originally I wanted to do something humorous and spoofy, but I changed my mind and wanted to do something more special. Something artistic and portfolio worthy.

Update 02: Change the resolution to fit the actual display abilities. Converted Logos into CGA resolution and palette.

Akatosh

Just to make sure before I start on my Original Gameboy-esque game: "Not more complex than NES" means that if the console was released later, but with less power in terms of graphic, it's OK - right?

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

LimpingFish

Oh man, I'd love to do something for this. My snail-like pace must be overcome!

Therefore, you may see something from me this month. Here's hopin'! :D
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Alarconte

Very interesting, hope I can participate this month with something little!
"Tiny pixelated boobies are the heart and soul of Castlevania"

Galactic Battlefare Capital Choice Part 1 , finished, releasing soon
GBF CC Part 2, WIP

DoorKnobHandle

What, oh what, did I do to deserve this, cruel fate?

Eh, I have a lot of exams for my bachelor-degree this very month. I have recently worked with NES-restrictions and I would LOVE to work on a little something, but it's just not possible this month. Of course, needless to say, due to three months summer-vacation, the following months would have ALL worked great up to October.

An 80's guy would say: "*sigh*, *sigh* to the max".

Storygamer

Now this is interesting.  I've had a cool idea for a game for a while now that I think would fit this--simplistic graphics and all that.  Only problem is, I'm not exactly sure which "system" for it to be an emulation of.

Graphically, pretty much everything in the game is squares and lines.  The squares do have some lines inside them, though--hold on, going to do a quick example and post it...

There.  That right there would probably be the most complicated sprite in the entire game, if I choose to use it.  What system does that emulate?   ???

EDIT: Just thought of something.  I always envisioned this game as being at 640x480 resolution and having some pretty high-quality ambient-electronic music.  I guess those features would disqualify the project even if I do it all in a month, right?

Someone let me know if I'm wrong.  I don't think I'd want to do this game without those features.

Brad Newsom

Quote from: Storygamer on Fri 04/07/2008 07:59:36
Now this is interesting.  I've had a cool idea for a game for a while now that I think would fit this--simplistic graphics and all that.  Only problem is, I'm not exactly sure which "system" for it to be an emulation of.

Graphically, pretty much everything in the game is squares and lines.  The squares do have some lines inside them, though--hold on, going to do a quick example and post it...

There.  That right there would probably be the most complicated sprite in the entire game, if I choose to use it.  What system does that emulate?   ???

EDIT: Just thought of something.  I always envisioned this game as being at 640x480 resolution and having some pretty high-quality ambient-electronic music.  I guess those features would disqualify the project even if I do it all in a month, right?

Someone let me know if I'm wrong.  I don't think I'd want to do this game without those features.

Graphic Calculator, Old Nokia Cell phone...

scotch

Calculators and phones are rather low res, although they would at least do the LCD greens. Can't think of a system that'd fit that perfectly but perhaps you could adapt it to a vector machine like the Vectrex, or similar early arcade systems. That way you have high res line art while still emulating an 8 bit system. With a green overlay your thing should work.

Eggie

I'm off college.

There's no reason for me not to do this...

Oooohhh...

I want to make a game that only uses purple! I love games that only have purple! Why purple?! Who cares; purple's awesome!

I want to give it copy proection too! I DON'T CARE IF IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE TO HAVE COPY PROTECTION ON A FREE GAME IT'S MY PROJECT AND IT'S WHAT I WANT!!!

Neil Dnuma

Yeah, copy protection! And insanely slow "loading..."-screens :)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Just don't forget the 'fun' requirement!

Eggie

I'm already not having fun. I just can't get this background looking crappy in the right way.

Brad Newsom

Quote from: Eggie on Fri 04/07/2008 21:09:14
I'm already not having fun. I just can't get this background looking crappy in the right way.

Its easy to make something crappy, but making it look like crap in a good way is absolutely hard.

The Suitor

I was just thinking about making a retro game! Now I have the perfect excuse  ;D

Storygamer

I think I'll actually back out.  Still want to make the game, but I want some good high-quality music, which would basically disqualify it, I think.  And really I suppose I'm going more for "simplistic" than "retro".  The game idea's really not intended to emulate any particular older system--it's just an intentionally simplistic design.

nihilyst

Quote from: Storygamer on Sat 05/07/2008 08:31:43
Still want to make the game, but I want some good high-quality music, which would basically disqualify it, I think.

As far as I understood it, the only thing you HAVE to emulate is a retro style of graphics.

Brad Newsom

Quote from: nihilyst on Sat 05/07/2008 15:40:33
Quote from: Storygamer on Sat 05/07/2008 08:31:43
Still want to make the game, but I want some good high-quality music, which would basically disqualify it, I think.

As far as I understood it, the only thing you HAVE to emulate is a retro style of graphics.

As far as I am aware, #3 says you should adhere to the limitations of the style you are emulating. Audio possibly can be apart of that. Can you confirm ProgZ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk