Text cut off in editor

Started by Babar, Tue 01/07/2008 16:17:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Babar

This happens:

It's probably not really a problem with the AGS editor itself, maybe something to do with my settings, but no other similar program (eg. Visual Basic 2005, Visual C++ 2005) has this problem, and this same problem is also in older versions of AGS (2.72 and 2.7). Please help?
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Gilbert

Hmmm What language is your OS? Also, what size do you set for your system font?

In fact I use Chinese Windows and AGSEditor never displays the texts correctly (don't know much about V3+ though, as I seldom use them).
There're also reports from people having problems when they set the system fonts to large size.

Babar

Language is English, and I'm not sure where I'd set my system font from, but 'Display Properties->Appearance->Font Size' is normal, 'Display Properties->Settings->Advanced->General' has DPI settings at 120 DPI, and the Resolution is at 1078x768 (the max). Changing any of these things does not work.

Ohya...also, just in case someone is wondering, that is not the only place it happens. I think that wherever there is text inside one of those greyish outline rounded square box things, this problem occurs.

TwinMoon

Have you tried changing any of the font sizes at 'Display Properties->Appearance->Advanced' ?

Babar

Yes, I tried changing the font size of message boxes, and that didn't do anything, and text size in Active window doesn't seem to be changeable (only the colour).

Pumaman

Which version of AGS are you using? 3.0.2 includes various improvements to 120 DPI mode.

freshpaint

I don't get that one (maybe I do, but I haven't created a new game recently), but the last line of sprites in the sprite display window always chops off the number of the sprite in a folder with a lot of sprites unless I fiddle around with scroll bars and resize windows, like things used to do with the dialog windows.  I'm a 120 DPI person. It's forced me to split stuff into folders, which is probably a good thing.

Babar

I was using version 3.0.0.23. I downloaded 3.0.2, and there is definitely an improvement!

It's completely usable now, but I noticed some odd things. Is this normal?

To note: There are no scrollbars anywhere to use that may correct the palette thing.

nick.keane

I don't seem to have that kind of effect in my 3.0.2 environment. I'd recommend double checking on your computer's visual properties and even your accessibility settings (in case the magnifier is on or is being glitchy). If that doesn't work, it might just be your monitor settings (size, resolution, NTSC/PAL, etc) or your graphics card being out of date. Like what graphics card do you have in your computer?

Usually when I see text glitches like this it means whoever designed the Windows Forms interface just misplaced the label elements (or everything around the labels). However, since the editor works fine on my rig, Chris can't be to blame.

I'm guessing just update your video card drivers and hopefully that will knock the problem out of the sky, but frankly idk  :-\.
|--> The Bionic Blog
Games:

Babar

I have a GeForceFX 5500, and I've got these drivers. I don't think that's the problem. I do remember a point in time when this problem didn't happen (at least with AGS v2.6), but I can't think what's changed since then.

Khris

For starters, all 3.x versions of the editor are .NET apps (it used to be coded in C(++) afaik).
I have the exact same settings but my font size is smaller in relation to the buttons and fields so everything's displayed fine.

Babar

To point out, I have the same problem with AGS 2.7 and 2.72. I just checked now, but changing the DPI doesn't change the size in the size of the text inside the program (only the size of the text on the top, where there is File, Build, etc). Having 96 DPI didn't improve anything, so it's kinda odd that 3.0.2 works better than 3.0.

nick.keane

|--> The Bionic Blog
Games:

Babar

XP Professional SP2 Version 2002.

....has it gotten that desperate yet?  :-\

nick.keane

It's pretty unusual. Like I said, the only time I've personally seen this kind of effect is when someone creates a Windows Form app and accidentally misplaces the labels. If that were so, then every person who used that app would be seeing the same effect as you do.

Probably the only things that could cause this effect on you alone would be your OS settings, your monitor, or your graphics card and drivers. XP Professional should work by its default settings, and you said that the effect is duplicated at the standard 96 DPI dot resolution for your monitor. I'm not sure what it might be that is causing this, but the main area of focus I would invest in would be the graphics card (general incompatibility, bad drivers, bad Gfx software settings) or your OS settings.
|--> The Bionic Blog
Games:

Babar

Hmmm...I didn't mind it before, because I thought it was workable, until I loaded a character (I had been working with an empty template, and didn't notice). But...it is difficult to work like this. I realise it is a problem on my end, but I'd be really happy to know exactly what the problem is. Graphics card is the same as has always been, drivers downloaded latest, and I've messed around with all GFX settings I can get a hand on:

freshpaint

The character always chops off for me in this screen too -- it got fixed on one of the other character screens (the view screen), but not here yet.  The problem on the other screen had something to do with size of sprite and game resolution (my game is 32 bit color, 800 x 600 res).  Maybe here too.  You can work around it by looking at the character loops from the "view" menus rather than clicking on the "character" menu.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk