Sprite Jam: Max Ernst style (July 6 - July 20) - WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Started by Matti, Sun 06/07/2008 12:48:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Matti

Okay, it was my task to start a new one so here it is:

Make a sprite that fits the style of this Max Ernst picture.

- It should be some kind of creature/animal (snail, scorpion, dragon, zombie etc.)

EDIT: I decided that a person would be okay too. Just keep the style in mind

- Max. 16 colors (+ transparency color), that should cover the green, orange and black tones

- Try to keep the colors similar to those in the picture

- Max. size is 300 x 300

I hope I get some entries here...

TwinMoon

I wonder if anyone could come up with something weirder than Ernst himself already did?
If I can think of something, I'm gonna enter. I'm a big fan of those early surrealists.

Matti

Yeah, and take a look at this or this

But the sprite doesn't necessarily have to be weird, it should just somehow fit the style of the picture I posted, especially regarding the colors, which the creatures we linked don't!

I'm a fan of those surrealists too.  ;)

SSH

Are we allowed to use the Spore creature creator?  :=

Matti

Quote from: SSH on Mon 07/07/2008 11:06:59
Are we allowed to use the Spore creature creator?  :=

Let me think...   no!  ;)

Matti

What's up?

I really don't expect something extraordinary. I'll post some examples of what I had in mind. Of course, these would have to be sprite-like and some would need other colors :

Or look at these Final Fantasy sprites. There are some who would fit very well.

abstauber

Sorry for rushing all your competitions, but I really need some drawing exercise and this teaches me a lot ;)

So here's me entry:
85x105x16 colors

X2

And here, he's added to your provided pic

@everyone else:
This isn't as hard as it sounds. Basically it's just weird fantasy and once you've started it's also quite fun and informative. For me I didnt' know Max Ernst until this competition and his art is really worth seeing.

Matti

Quote from: abstauber on Fri 18/07/2008 11:39:21
Sorry for rushing all your competitions, but I really need some drawing exercise and this teaches me a lot ;)

Hey, I'm glad you're entering, especially this one.

Quote from: abstauber on Fri 18/07/2008 11:39:21
For me I didnt' know Max Ernst until this competition and his art is really worth seeing.

Shame on you!  ;)

Your sprite reminds me a bit of the Wild Things though it's much thinner.

abstauber

Do you think, it's that cuddly? But it's definatly missing the desperation and emptiness of the archetype.
Maybe once upon a time I get better and get able to catch those feelings in a picture ;)

Oh, maybe this sprites serves me as a new avatar, since my teethy guy is all but cuddly :)

Tuomas

I'd love to see that as a separate sprite too

Matti

I like it but Tuomas made a point there. It actually has to be a seperate sprite though it looks good in its environment.

Fyntax

sorry, I forgot.

[edit]

I might have kinda misunderstood the first post I think, if you want it posed in a way that is sepparated from the picture in itself I can't do that right now, no time.

Sorry.

TwinMoon

Like it just crawled out of Lovecraft's imagination... Good one!

abstauber

I think it's more like something from Studio Ghibli, like Princess Mononoke or Spirited Away- still awesome though!

Matti

Quote from: Fyntax on Fri 18/07/2008 15:21:53
I might have kinda misunderstood the first post I think, if you want it posed in a way that is sepparated from the picture in itself I can't do that right now, no time.

Sorry.

Well, it's okay. I wasn't looking for a sprite put into the image but rather a sprite that fits the image (regarding colors/style), but nevermind.

I really like that one.

bog

kinda rushed but i don't have much time now. i'm not even sure it fits the style

Matti

Cool, a third entry. Then I will make some trophies.

Matti

Okay, competition's over.

1st prize goes to Fyntax

2nd goes to BoG

3rd goes to abstauber

I'm glad you entered this competition and the entries are nice.

If this thread stays open I'll post trophies in the next few days...

Fyntax

Quote from: matti on Sun 20/07/2008 15:57:05
Okay, competition's over.

1st prize goes to Fyntax

2nd goes to BoG

3rd goes to abstauber

I'm glad you entered this competition and the entries are nice.

If this thread stays open I'll post trophies in the next few days...

Thank you, I'll be back with another sprite-jam in a short while.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk