"Arcane" Board game sprites for C&C

Started by , Mon 07/07/2008 21:17:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Questionable

IMO the barbarian and the preist need to be touched up, the other two need two be polished and thfighter needs to be a fighter instead of a royal guard! =P

SO edits incoming:

{space reserved for edits}
All my trophies have disappeared... FINALLY! I'm free!

Khris

Brad Newsom

I picture the pose for the Sorceress with her facing south, levitating with her arms opposite from each other. As if the forces of gravity and wind work for her.

Evil

I really like the look of the Rogue edit. The dark shadows give it the look of pewter figures. I don't think the base is tall enough still. Maybe a light red over the top of the base to make it look like a tinted metal. The colored features would be good too, like cloaks or something.

I like the rogue the best too. I'm excited to see how this plays out.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I think the colors could use more contrast, and I've made an edit of your priest to show what I mean.

1.  Redesigned the priest to look more like a 'medieval' priest to fit with the other designs.

2.  Took several colors from a photo of an actual pewter figurine and used them to re-shade the character, focusing mainly on highlights and shadows to bring out the dull metallic look of pewter.

Hopefully this helps!

markbilly

I have to say, although I like the style of ProgZ's sprite, it looks a little 'fuzzy'. I much prefer the bold style that KrisMUC has used in his edit.

Tuomas

I was imagining the priest with a longer cape or a cloak, what's the word? And I was looking for a missing cross, but it's in the hat, right? I first thought it was a crown. Perhaps a little less detail on the head area would in fact make a more proper game... I was just thinking, it might come too messy, as with the fighter, who was pretty decorated at some point.

aussie

This looks really good! Great concept!

Looking at what KhrisMUC did in response to Darth's post, I think it might be appropriate to give the red base of the sprite some functionality. A couple of suggestions:

- The dark red side could and act as health (or mana) bar. It could start off green and turn red as the enemies eat away your energy.
- The light red side could change color as you move, to highlight the fact that the cell your standing on affects your abilities. For instance, it could go blue when you're on water. Also, during the player's turn this part of the base could animate in different shades of blue to show that he is the active character.

Just my two cents.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

http://www.freewebs.com/aussiesoft/

Khris

Actually, I nicked the base from Ghost's own edit. :)

aussie

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

http://www.freewebs.com/aussiesoft/

Ghost

Aussie: Great suggestion all the same- especially the "health bar" makes perfect sense. I think that would be quite useful to have; my first idea was to bring up an "info sheet" when a miniature is touched, displaying all of the stats and modifications. I will try out how the health bar performs  :)

I also managed to get the GUI working:

I appreciate your interest and the amount of responses, all the same!

Hollister Man

Those pieces look great indeed, the style *vaguely* reminds me of ... MUNCHKIN! The best card game EVAR

The main reason I posted was response to Questionable's edit.  That looks rather ... questionable, if you look at it wrong, like he has a really big...*sword*  :p
That's like looking through a microscope at a bacterial culture and seeing a THOUSAND DANCING HAMSTERS!

Your whole planet is gonna blow up!  Your whole DAMN planet...

MashPotato

It's shaping up quite nicely, Ghost! :)

A few suggestions (I think some may have been mentioned already, but forgive me, I haven't read the entire thread :))
-the sprites could use some higher contrast
-the environment tiles could use less saturation; when the sprites are on top, they lose a lot of visibility
-adding a slight hue (instead of a pure greys) would look more attractive, I think.  I'm not a fan of pure grey, the eye craves colour! ;)
-this is entirely subjective, but I find the colours of the GUI a bit drab.  I made a quick edit:

-I warmed up the tones and increased contrast so things are a little more matched up.
-removed the pure grey
-made the wooden slats of the background bigger.  Assuming this is a table, having the slats so small messes with the scale of the board, I think.  The edit scale isn't ideal either, but it's just to show what I mean :)

Hope this helped, good luck with the project! :)

Ghost

Quote from: MashPotato on Sat 19/07/2008 02:48:05
Hope this helped, good luck with the project! :)

Mash, aww, that surely helped! I'm learning a lot of new stuff here, be it palette- or sprite related. Thanks for all the tips; I'm sure I can put them to good use!

Alarconte

The decks of cards,  means that will be random card stuff? or not? a random-card stuff will be interesting (sorry if you said it before, i dont see it >_<)
"Tiny pixelated boobies are the heart and soul of Castlevania"

Galactic Battlefare Capital Choice Part 1 , finished, releasing soon
GBF CC Part 2, WIP

Questionable

Quote from: Hollister Man on Fri 18/07/2008 23:26:38
Those pieces look great indeed, the style *vaguely* reminds me of ... MUNCHKIN! The best card game EVAR

The main reason I posted was response to Questionable's edit.  That looks rather ... questionable, if you look at it wrong, like he has a really big...*sword*  :p

Everything I do is of questionable... something. It's part of being unique! =P

Thatnks for the shout-out man!
All my trophies have disappeared... FINALLY! I'm free!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk