Revenge In Parelly Point

Started by Hud, Tue 15/07/2008 12:19:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Hud

Gday All!

It's been a long time since I've posted on this website. About 6 years ago I created a game using AGS called Revenge in Parelly Point (RIPP). Since then I've not touched it. Though it was complete, there were always a few tweaks I wanted to do to it before completely publishing it (though I did have it available for download back then in BETA form). I got a little nostalgic the other day and decided to do those few tweaks.

I wanted to share the completed, and 'tweaked' game with the AGS community again. This has still been created using a very old version of AGS. From reading the website it appears newer versions would allow me to enhance the game greatly. That may still come but none the less I wanted to share with you all Version 1.

The game is about a kid who's parents are murdered. His sister has gone missing as well. You must get to the bottom of what is going on!

Without further delay, please enjoy: REVENGE IN PARELLY POINT 2008 V1.0

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?sc92jebinbj

When I created the game the aim was to create an authentic feel to it's late 1980's, early 1990's cousins. Therefore all the images are created in paint and the game is best played in the 320X200 mode. Obviously with the driving section, I drew inspiration from Police Quest 1.

All feedback, questions, queries, gripes are welcome!

I look forward to hearing from you all and participating in the great AGS community again.

Cheers
Hud

R4L

Hey I like this game! I'm liking the amount of interaction so far; being able to crash the car, get pulled over by cops, examine pretty much anything... it's very nice.

SuperDre

thanx for releasing the game.. gonna try it real soon...

shasheey

hello hud,
GREAT game i love everything about it but iam so stuck and can use some tips
how to speak to bum
whats up with the bar
and what to do at the dock, ive been riding around for hours and iam getting discouraged
please help

shasheey

dunnoson

I have played it.

This game has an interesting plot.

I like this game.

Good work!

4 of 5 stars! 8)
currently working on:

I am in the Brainstorming stage.  Also am trying to gather a team.
I am committing to this game.

Thinking about creating another game, NCIS themed.

Puddleglum

Nice game, just finished it !!  ;D I thought the art was perfect for this game. I only wish it had've been longer.
Congratulations!!

TwinMoon

Great game; really like the PQ1-style driving section. There really should be more games with something like that.

The only thing that bugs me is that there's no walking cursor, so you need the keyboard to make him walk.

Hud

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies and comments! Keep them coming. Really want honest feedback. I'll try and respond where I can...

Twin Moon; I decided to make you only able to walk with the keys so as it was an easy transition from the car to the sidescrolling. Probably something I could add back in in a later version.

Puddleglum; The length is certainly something I'd like to improve if I do decide to release another version of the game. I've been thinking of some avenues I could go down. Unforutantely when I made the game it was for a class project and was time limited. Now that I dont have that restriction I would consider extending it if I got enough interest :)

Shasheey; Here's a hint for you:

Spoiler
Find out how to wake the bum and your other questions will be answered. As a tip, the person who sends you to the bum might have something that could help in waking him...
[close]

Well thanks again all that have commented so far. As I said I'm after honest feedback. Hope those that have tried it so far have enjoyed it for the most part :)

Cheers
Hud

Pet Terry

Oh wow, what a blast from the past. I remember enjoying this game when it first came out, though I found it quite difficult then and never finished it. I will give it another go soon.

Oh, and welcome back, Hud!
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Hud

Hey Pet,

Suprised anyone remembers me on here :) Thanks for the warm welcome and hope you enjoy the game.

Anyone else got any feedback for me?

Cheers in advance.

Lufia

This game is nice. I especially like all the text and dialogues, they're all remarkably well-written, even though the story moves from cliché to unbelievable at the end. The graphics work without being pretty and some of the musics brought back good memories.

I have, however, to major complaints.

Firstly, why the hell is the map so damn big when the game is so damn short? Moreover, there's no indication for what is where. Looking for my own house in the first driving sequence quickly got annoying, even if it was tampered with wonderment as I remembered all these hours spent playing with toy cars when I was small. No, I never played Police Quest, so that particular nostalgia effect was completely lost on me. The most frustrating part was looking for the bum. Under the school. Great. Now, where's the school, again? And the long lost memory of toy cars wasn't having any effect on me anymore, at that point.

Secondly, using the arrow keys to move and drive is annoying. I press the keys with my left hand because I hold my mouse in the right. Said keys are located in the lower right corner of my laptop's keyboard. See my problem? Simply offering the possibility to use W, Q, S and D to move would solve that. I know I must be a bit of a special case with that one but it would still be nice.

As you've understood, the gameplay got me pretty frustrated. And pouring that much frustration into a game that short inevitably leads to a bitter after taste in your mouth. So my final opinion is that the game was nice. Not good, certainly not great, simply nice.

Hud

Hey Lufia,

Cheers for the honesty. I'm glad that you kept playing all the way through, though as you pointed out, that doesn't take too long :)

It's a short game, but was originally made over the period of single year under strict time restraints. Therefore I focused on quality not quantity. Having said that, I am still toying with the idea of extending it somewhat. One of the things I wanted to do was to use more of the map as you suggested.

In a nutshell, the map is the size it is to give the impression of a town, not a city street. As for finding places, I got a lot of opposing feedback during the beta of the game. Some people liked the fact that you had to follow the clues to find a place, and others found it plain annoying (as did you). I opted to keep it based on clues, purely to encourage you to explore the map.

As for the keys, well that's something I'll put down to add in a future release. Driving using the mouse would have been far too awkward.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to play it and give honest feedback.

Still happy for more if anyone else has comments that'd like to share. I am still checking this thread. :D

TRT

I enjoyed the game alot because I also played all the PQ series through.  I got hooked on Sierra games after playing the 1st PQ back then.   Great game.   Maybe you can make another one when you have time. 

Thanks for a great game.  Hope to see maybe another in the near future.

paolo

I was about to log a bug here until I read Lufia's post. I got in the van and the game told me I was heading off to my house, and then the red car drove away and the game seemed to stop.

I then saw Lufia's post, tapped the left and right keys, and lo and behold, the blue van moves around.

Is it mentioned anywhere in the intro that you have to use the arrow keys to move around? If not, it ought to be; if it is already, then I think it needs to be made clearer.

The driving concept is a cool idea - I played many a game like this in the 80s. There doesn't seem to be anything stopping me from driving on either side of the road, though, apart from oncoming cars. Oh, I stand corrected - looks like the cops have got me.

Now here's a bug report - the game crashed at this point. I get a Windows error message ("RIPP.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Please tell Microsoft about this problem, yadda yadda yadda."), so does that mean it's a bug in AGS rather than your game? There's no point in posting the error report and memory dump here - it's huge.

Also, how am I supposed to know where "home" is?

Hud

Gday Paolo,

The keys to allow you to drive are meant to be slightly intuitive simply because you need to use them to walk... If you press F2 at any stage it should give you a list of what keys you need to use to move. Better yet, you can read the Readme file which is recommended.

As for finding you home - one of the most controversial parts of the game, you need to make sure you read ALL dialog in the game otherwise you'll get very frustrated. There is a clue when you first step into your car that should hint to how to find your house.

As for getting punished for breaking driving rules; the original plan was to have a 'demerit' point system for breaking road rules. However this was scrapped later to fit in with the storyline, which is that the you later discover that the cops are working against you. Therefore if they were able to take demerit points from you, then how come they werent able to arrest you... if you get my meaning...

Any other questions, comments, gripes, complaints - please feel free to let me know!

Cheers

CosmoQueen

Hey Hud great game you made there! The whole thing with the car was confusing at first but after a while I got the hang of it. Very original indeed. I look forward to your next game! :)
KPop and AGS....................that is my life.

saluk

Really loving this game!  I've been working on it for a week now.  Any game that can last a week for me is a good game :)  I have had to use a walkthrough at a few points though, which is too bad.  Still, the graphic style and the driving sequences are great.  It's a shame it took 6 years for you to finish it.  I can't wait for your next game, hopefully it doesn't take as long.  I say, don't spend time trying to improve this one.  It's good if flawed.  Fix the flaws in your next project :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk