Vector Vendetta (July 26th, now with multiplayer and demo recording)

Started by Radiant, Sat 26/07/2008 12:19:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiant

Vector Vendetta (updated in July)

As an experiment in what other things AGS can do (and MAGS, of course), this is a fast-paced shooting game with retro-style vector graphics. It's probably the first AGS game that uses a grand total of zero sprites, and proves that AGS is quite capable of handling arcade games.

In your mighty triangular ship, use mouse, keyboard or a combination of both to obliterate the enemy vectors before they do the same to you! It starts out easy, but on later levels you'll be quickly overwhelmed by swarms of enemies! Dodge bullets, kamikaze ships, and laser beams, collect sparks to upgrade your ship, and prepare yourself for the boss battle at the end.

* Twenty different enemies, from lowly Wonk to nasty BFG, and an evil boss monster.
* Lots of powerups and special weapons, from teleportation to nukes.
* Retro graphics and soundtrack.
* Three difficulty levels, three game modes.
* Keeps track of high scores.
* Two-player support.
* Demo recording.
* Enjoy!

nihilyst

Great idea and well executed, although it's very hard for me to play it. I'm playing this game on an LCD screen with a 16 ms response time; the ghosting of the cursor makes it nearly unplayable for me, though I really don't know how that could be changed.

Anyway, great thing!

EDIT:

Some issues:
- It sometimes happens to me that enemies disappear, when they collide with those invulnerable box things. The level can't be beaten then.
- Retro-fire seems to rely on the position of the cursor rather than your battleship. So, if you use keyboard controls only, retro-fire doesn't fire out of the back of your ship.

Radiant

Quote from: nihilyst on Sat 26/07/2008 13:14:10
Some issues:

Thanks. I think I've fixed that in the new upload.

R4L

Wow! This is fantastic!

Radiant

*bump*

We've got an update to fix the few bug reports that came in. Also, high scores have been reported that are over 7000; try topping that :)

Nikolas

I'm at around 3000 points, but bless me this is a brilliant little game!

Anyone else, so obsessed with this little gem?

Matti

Quote from: Nikolas on Sat 29/11/2008 16:03:39
Anyone else, so obsessed with this little gem?

Not really obsessed but it's much more fun than I expected. First I thought this is too retro but hell, it's entertaining.

Snake

Hey, Radiant!

No time to play right now, but I'll get back to you as soon as I do! This sounds amazing :)
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Nikolas

1. Xaos are "erraticly" difficult to hit! Damnit they are hard and could be at further levels. Vultures and Kudzu are nothing as bad as them!

2. a. BFG gives too little warning when hitting
b. BFG gives mainly an audio waring, thus making the game unplayable to those with non direct audio installation (me for example)
c. BFG does not really imply WHERE it's aiming so you can avoid it. Ok, it is a polygon, ok the short side is where it aims, but damnit it's hard to notice with hell going on next to you.

3. pierce is much more trouble than it should be! Of course it makes killing master, but there is a slight problem with sizes (at least to my version), where the enemies simply become really really small, only due to the "armor piercing" and this makes the game harder, when it should be easier really.

4. In general, in order to get further in the game (my strategy at least) is to first get the turbo, then chain, then retro, and then build up from there. With the current setting, in order to get spread (which should come after hyper, at least, and chain), is too further in game and while it's immensly useful, you really don't have enough time to get it, or enough power ups. So a bit more power ups perhaps?

5. What would make the game interesting (strategically speaking), would be to know which enemies will throw power ups (so you would go after them first). It wouldn't really change the difficulty setting (which seems to be about right), but it would change your moves drastically.

A wonderful game, all round! Thanks Crystal Shard/Radiant for this!

Radiant

Quote from: Nikolas on Mon 01/12/2008 19:41:02
1. Xaos are "erraticly" difficult to hit!
What control scheme are you using?

b. BFG gives mainly an audio waring, thus making the game unplayable to those with non direct audio installation (me for example)
Okay, good point. I'm not sure how I could make it a visual warning, though; suggestions welcome.

c. BFG does not really imply WHERE it's aiming
That's because it's always aiming right at you.

3. pierce is much more trouble than it should be!
Noted. I could easily implement a minimum size for enemies.

4. In general, in order to get further in the game (my strategy at least) is to first get the turbo, then chain, then retro, and then build up from there.
To this, I can only suggest that you might vary your strategies. For instance, retro then spread is a good starter, as is turbo then shrink, as is chain then pierce.

5. What would make the game interesting (strategically speaking), would be to know which enemies will throw power ups
That's a good point, I can probably fix that visually.

Thanks for the feedback, and good luck zapping! :)

Nikolas

Quote from: Radiant on Mon 15/12/2008 21:39:25
Quote from: Nikolas on Mon 01/12/2008 19:41:02
1. Xaos are "erraticly" difficult to hit!
What control scheme are you using?
I'm using keyboard only...

Okay, good point. I'm not sure how I could make it a visual warning, though; suggestions welcome.
I would suggest (regarding c as well) that a sort of "light" beam (like concetrating the fire of where it will shoot, and where it's coming from), would be sufficient. Problem with not knowing where it's aiming, is that you don't generally know where it's coming from. And thus you may try to move out of the way with the audio signal, but still be in the path of the beam.

c. BFG does not really imply WHERE it's aiming
That's because it's always aiming right at you.[/quote]
See above

3. pierce is much more trouble than it should be!
Noted. I could easily implement a minimum size for enemies.
Thanks ^_^

4. In general, in order to get further in the game (my strategy at least) is to first get the turbo, then chain, then retro, and then build up from there.
To this, I can only suggest that you might vary your strategies. For instance, retro then spread is a good starter, as is turbo then shrink, as is chain then pierce.
I have altered strategy. I go for turbo, chain gun, retro, spread shot and then anything else that may come my way. :)

5. What would make the game interesting (strategically speaking), would be to know which enemies will throw power ups
That's a good point, I can probably fix that visually.
Cool.

QuoteThanks for the feedback, and good luck zapping! :)
Thanks for taking note of my... notes. ;)

EDIT: I've encountered a bug twice now. After 10,000 points (I've reached up to 11,000) and after a certain level (3-4 times after you're done being introduced with new enemies), the game is unsolvable: You kill all the enemies, including the undestroyable boxes (by killing your own life, I had to try), and yet the game does not progress to the next level: You are stuck to an empty room with no enemies whatsoever. So Esc, or Alt+x...

Radiant

Regarding being stuck - does that still happen after you've downloaded the update?

Nikolas

Downloaded the file on the 18th of Nov. No idea if it's the updated file or not... :-\

Nikolas

The bug about being stuck!

It happens when I get 5 lives, as opposed to the normal 4. And after 10,000 points (but points are probably irrelevant).

Radiant

Bump. This game has been around for awhile, but I was never really satisfied with the first version, and didn't consider it finished yet. However, this month's MAGS theme of "Finish Your Game" inspired me to put in the finishing touches.

There's more enemy vectors, more powerups, and a boss monster. There's also three gameplay modes, various difficulty levels, and demo recording. Finally, you can play together with your friend, one on mouse and one on keyboard. Oh and yeah, the bugs mentioned above have been fixed.

Arcade Game Studio ftw!

Dualnames

I like the fact that there's like no sprite! Great job in terms of programming, Radiant!! :D
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Dualnames

The game is really great!! I made a great 1921 score, and had lots of fun.  :D
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Chicky

Radiant

Anyone want to post a demo here? I would like to have a few demo recordings from players other than myself.

Wonkyth

I have Camtasia, so I might do one some time.
but I'll have to make sure it's a good score, I don't want to embarrass myself too much...  :P
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk