ShattenReyze - new screen - updated 10/09/29

Started by abstauber, Tue 05/08/2008 14:39:04

Previous topic - Next topic

abstauber

Here's the game we're currently working on:

ShattenReyze
This game will be multilingual (english and german for starters) and features a modified scumm gui plus some elements from Loom.
Also there will be at least two fully playable characters which you can already see on those screenshots

Screenshots

Preview of the minigame
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUBW7CsPVgc

Story
As the brothers Chris and Eric attempt to fund their trip homeward journey in a deserted alley, they optain a strange amulett. At the same time, a promient scientist, also known as a problem drinker keeps missing.

Not realising the importance of their discovery, Chris and Eric decide to keep the amulett and get in the way of something they can't foresee... yet.

This game will feature two dimensions connected to each other.

Demo
This will take a while.

Development Progress:

Story: 50%
Scripting: 50%
Graphics (320x200x16): 30%
Sound/Music (mp3): 2%

Expected completion date: 201x

Team:
Abstauber - graphics, code and story
Kaputtnik - story
cat - code and additional graphics
Kastchey - graphics

Homepage
Yes, we even have a homepage now!

Visit us at:
http://shatten.sonores.de/

SSH

Lying to my feet? Surely that seems a bit odd (unless your feet are exceptionally gullible). I think you mean "Lying at my feet".

abstauber

LOL, Beware of the foreigner  ;D
This has not been prove read by anyone before. Maybe it should have...  :)

neon

Looks nice. Two questions:

You have a german title, so you will need a german version. Will there be one?

Don't you think that a release date of March 2008 is a bit optimistic?

Peder 🚀

I just downloaded and "played" it.
And I LOVE it!

Really nice work!
I also really like the sound of the 2 dimensions idea.
I wish you REALLY good luck with this game and I am looking forward to a playable demo! :P.

abstauber

*cough* 2009 *cough* even though that's optimistic too ;)

@neon
For the german version let's see how the story develops. As my english skills are somewhat limited *looks above* I might need a translator or at least a guy helping me with the language.
But I think the english version will have priority.

@Peder
Thanks a lot :) I thought I could finish a playable room before I'll be on vacation, but first story needs to be pointed out.

olafmoriarty

Peder summed it up pretty well: This story looks awesome. I can't wait to play it. I don't normally download demos, but I will on this one. The whole "two stupid guys by accident gets involved in something bigger than they could have foreseen" plotline is well-used, but when used right it can be good, and the whole idea of the two dimensions tied together by light is an excellent idea which I'm really looking forward to seeing done.

A few thoughts about things you might improve:

You've probably already thought about it, but make sure your two characters aren't too identical personality-wise. Of course they have some similarities as they are brothers, but make sure they're two distinct persons and not just two clones of the same person talking to each other. Give them individual wishes and needs, and individual ways of thinking. I was confused in your intro when one of the guys encourages the other to empty the guy's pockets, and when finding the amulet he suddenly changes completely his point to "it would be wrong of us to take it". It feels somehow as if his personality changed more than it should have done in those seconds. Strong personalities is the key to great fiction.

I loved the beginning with the professor walking through the ally, and especially the whole "newspapers blowing in the wind" thing. Kudos for awesome plot revelations with the perfect amount of vagueness!

The Eric-and-Chris-walking scene seemed odd, because it looked as if they weren't moving at all. Since the palm tree stood still, it seemed as if they did as well. If you made the palm pass by them in the background or something, it would look more realistic.

And forgive me for asking, but ... *why* the nine-verb GUI? Most games really don't need it, and for some reason it doesn't FEEL like the right interface for a huge dimension-spanning fantasy/sci-fi-plotline. I really think you would be better off with something more... intuitive. But maybe it's too early to say -- there are people who manage pull off the nine-verb GUI, and maybe you're one of them.

DoorKnobHandle

Quote from: neon on Tue 05/08/2008 15:02:43
You have a german title, so you will need a german version.

Why is that? Deus Ex didn't have a latin translation.

neon

I was just kiddin'.  ;)

Always trying to motivate people to do translations.

But hey, wouldn't that be a cool idea to translate Deus Ex into latin?  ;D

abstauber

@olaf
Thanks for the extensive review!

Plotting:
These are great hints and I'm still working on the characters. My idea is to start with Chris and Eric being somehow the same. Then seperate them and let them develop independently.

Eric & Chris walking scene:
This scene has been inspired by anime movies... they use that "effect" some times. At first I wanted to add some paralax scrolling, but the object.move function is just way too fast. It would have looked as they were flying. Honestly I've seen that scene so often, I just forgot that it looks odd ;)

GUI:
The first reason is rather mundane: 60 pixels less to draw  ::) I also like the panoramic look, the scenery gets, a nearly square background is less dynamic.
I think DOTT never distingishes between push and pull (or open and use) anyway but they kept it for optical reasons... but maybe I should replace the GUI with a 3 verb buttons and the rest for the inventory. I keep that in mind :)

Thanks again!

Anyone else?

btw. there are few german named game with an english language - like Uebersoldier or Angst (okay, that's really old)

Matti

I really liked that teaser. The game sounds interesting, the music is nice and I like the idea of the two dimensions. I'll be keeping an eye on this. Good luck with further progress.

Quote from: abstauber on Wed 06/08/2008 12:53:48
btw. there are few german named game with an english language - like Uebersoldier or Angst (okay, that's really old)

I think "ueber" and "angst" are commonly used in english, just like "kindergarten" and some other words..

Cyrus

Quote from: abstauber on Wed 06/08/2008 12:53:48
maybe I should replace the GUI with a 3 verb buttons and the rest for the inventory. I keep that in mind :)
I don't think so. The GUI creates the LucasArts-ish atmosphere.

Funkmast

hey, looks nice. The music is really clean and gives it a really cinematic type of feel. Well, keep the motivation coming and good luck!!!

eternal_renegade

I thought it was put well together! :)
If you need help with anything, I am glad to.
I am getting better at pixel art, and well I make music as well so yeah!

abstauber

Thanks for all your responses :) I'm glad that you'll like it!

@eternal_renegade: I'm on vacation for the next 4 weeks, so I may contact you afterwards. And pixel-help is always appreciated :)

SuperDre

The graphix looks great.. I hope you finish it...

abstauber

Hey,
I thought it might be time to give you some updates.
This game's in the works since last August and a lot of stuff has happend.

For example, Kaputtnik, Ben304 and Kastchey joined the project and creating wonderful things for the game.
We've also made big steps in the story development and I've to say it's much more fun to write and work in a team.

There's also a new screenshot at the beginning of this thread and there are more to come. It just takes a little more time, until we get some more character graphics updated.

Btw. I've removed the teaser, since it doesn't have very much in common with the game anymore.

SuperDre

And again, I really love the graphix... Ijust cannot stop saying that, as I just really love these kind of graphix.. hehe... Keep up the great work ;)

Peder 🚀

I love the "new" GFX youve done!
Looking splendid!

Dualnames

Good to know someone IS working hard!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

bog

Matti

Hey, good to hear this is still in production and it's very good to hear that some very talented members are helping you with the game. The screenies are nice and I'm SO looking forward to the finished game.

Mh, since I liked the teaser very much I wonder why it doesn't have much to do with the game anymore. Could you say a bit more about the story (so far) and why it has significantly changed? Cause it sounds similar to what was shown in the teaser.

abstauber

Thanks for you support, guys. Good to know, you're still there :)

@Matti: About the teaser... well, technically spoken, almost everything has changed/improved. The graphics are all new and it also got much more exciting.
As far as the story is concerned, only minor things have been changed. One of the bigger changes is the connection of those two dimensions as they're now connected via music. This way, it's way easier to create logical puzzles - not to mentions, it's a lot more fun to play.

As soon as those graphics finalize, I'll post some more screenies and some explainations.

Matti

Right, the graphics have changed, so the teaser is obsolete, makes sense. ::)

Well, good luck with further progress, I'll keep an eye on this project.

Dualnames

You have a team, I'd be jealous of..
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Angel Dust

Many apologies for contributing nothing to the project and then dropping off from the face of the earth, my life has been pretty chock-a-block in the last year or so! Still it looks like it was for the best as you've now got a great team together and the game is looking fantastic. I look forward to playing it :)

abstauber

Angel Dust! ;D

Well, it's good to see you back, even if it's just for the moment. By the way, your account hasn't been locked yet. So if you like to leave a message there as well, don't bother :)

kaputtnik

Quote from: abstauber on Thu 09/07/2009 12:29:32
So if you like to leave a message there as well, don't bother :)

I think what he meant to say was "just go ahead!". Good old abstauber, always in for a puzzling contradiction.  ??? 8) :-X

On another note: We (Which is Ben and abstauber and Kastchey, but not me at the moment) are actually making progress of a most delectable kind. Action-packed action, love-packed love and acoustic guitar-packed guitar  - this will not fail to impress even the most hard-boiled adventure game aficionado!
I, object.

abstauber

Thanks for the double bottom. I hope I'm not doing it that often. ;D
@Angel Dust: I'm sorry, of course I've meant don't hesitate.

Anyway based on the last post, here's a cheesy flyer to catch your interest :)

Igor Hardy

The flyer is eye-catching, but I would add some inventory items in there, so it is clear that it is an adventure game.

abstauber

Hehe, this flyer is only for this place and maybe for the webby. I've only made it, so you can guess what happens in the middle panel ;)

Chicky

Angel Dust

Quote from: abstauber on Tue 14/07/2009 08:49:23
@Angel Dust: I'm sorry, of course I've meant don't hesitate.
:) Haha. I admit I was intially taken aback but I quickly realised it was just a typo/translation error!

AngelicCharon

Y'know, I really should've commented on this before.

The backgrounds alone look fabulous, the sound of the game/theme sound great, overall it looks like it'll be fantastic.

Can't wait to see more, or hear more...and that little flyer does exude a little 'guitar hero mini-game' thought or three. :)

TerranRich

Ooh, Guitar Hero mini-game would be awesome.

The graphics look amazing, abstauber, and so does the entire game. Can't wait to play it!

Darth Mandarb

AngelicCharon - While it was only just over 90 days ... you still bumped a thread over 90 days old (doesn't matter if it was mentioned somewhere else, it's still the rules!).  Please do not do so again, thanks!

AngelicCharon

Sorry about that Darth Mandarb.  I didn't look at the posting date.  I was just referring to the topic today by the topic creator, so felt compelled to comment on it.

Next time, I'll pay closer attention to the date. :)

TerranRich

With all due respect, abstauber brought it to our attention in the #ags chat room, so we felt compelled to respond. But you are, of course, right, Darth. :)

abstauber

Hey, thanks for not locking this ;) I actually had in mind to post an update today.

So, my fault. Next time I upload some content first and make promotion afterwards. Still thanks for the comments guys :)

abstauber

TerranRich

That is awesome! You've got to release a tutorial or source code or something, showing how you did that.

ThreeOhFour

Haha yeah, when Dirk first let me play the first build of that I was like

"...this man is crazy"  ;)

Dualnames

Quote from: Ben304 on Tue 03/11/2009 09:33:01
Haha yeah, when Dirk first let me play the first build of that I was like

"...this man is crazy"  ;)

YEAH ME TOO!! No, wait, Dirk hasn't let me play it!! :(

abstauber

Hehe,  I guess most people haven't played it yet ;)
I don't want it to become stale, since you have to play it a couple of time in the main game.

@Terran: It's no magic, simply convert a .mid to a txt-file, so AGS can interpret it. For the mechanics, just visit http://fretsonfire.sourceforge.net/ and see how they do it.

TerranRich

I'm sure there's more to it than that. For example, how AGS interprets the text file and handles the note inputs.

OneDollar

Nice work! I always thought AGS could handle Guitar Hero, but I'm surprised at how smoothly it runs. By the way, is this of any interest to you? It's a Frets on Fire song I did a couple of years ago.

abstauber

@Terran: Well, after the release I'm sure we can talk about the code :) In the meanwhile here's another thread of people discussing it:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=32174.0

@OneDollar: Cool stuff! As the rhythmgame is fully compatible to Frets on Fire, it'll be fun to test it :) By the way - we're looking for a guy doing the fretting for the yet unwritten songs ;)

abstauber

Hey,

we're currently looking for some reinforcements in the art department due to the lack of time of some members.

So we're in the need of a pixel animator. So if you're having fun, pushing pixels around, look no further ;)

Here's a recent screenshot, showcasing the legendary "Drunk" mode:

For example we're looking for staggering and rioting animations, but there's a lot more you can do if you like ;)

If we've cought your attention, just leave a PM. We've also a playable demo to offer and of course lots of material.

Theme

abstauber

Hey thanks!

As for the vacant job: We're glad to welcome Igor Hardy aboard!  :)

yay!

Matti

Quote from: screenshot
Biete Pärchen auf's Maul an

Haha, I already love the drunk mode. Keep up the good work.

SarahLiz

Just wanted to say this game looks great already--these are my favorite type of graphics and I can't wait to play it.  Keep up the great work...!   :D

abstauber

Great to know that there are so many of you low-res supporters out there!

Thanks you two :)

markbilly

Quote from: abstauber on Mon 25/01/2010 09:53:11

You can add me to that list! This is looking better all the time, good luck with it! :)

arj0n

Quote from: markbilly on Mon 25/01/2010 10:11:49
You can add me to that list! This is looking better all the time, good luck with it! :)
Me too, low-res is a-w-e-s-o-m-e

Dualnames

Quote from: [ Arj0n ] on Mon 25/01/2010 17:39:38

Triple quote it, but yes, add me toooooo!

Igor Hardy

Quote from: Dualnames on Mon 25/01/2010 19:09:59

ShattenReyze converted me to low-res after a foolish high-res period! :)

abstauber

Quote from: Ascovel on Mon 25/01/2010 20:20:51

Argh, don't tell me Franko's getting the axe!

But wow, this support is awesome 8)

Igor Hardy

Quote from: abstauber on Tue 26/01/2010 09:47:03
Quote from: Ascovel on Mon 25/01/2010 20:20:51

Argh, don't tell me Franko's getting the axe!

If anything, he will be losing the axe, so that the difficulty level can go up a notch.

abstauber

Progress :D

Once in a while I feel the need to spoil the fun of waiting. The project is almost two years old now and I'm afraid I've lost a lot of team members over this time span.

Anyhow, here's a screen from 2008

And here's the 2010's version

Yay :)

There's also been a lot progress with the story - but with an active member count of 3 (three) it will take us a while to finish it.

Btw. if you like pushing pixels around, please consider joining the Reyze ;)

Anyhow - that game will hopefullly rock your socks off in this decade ;D

cianty

LOVE the new screenshot! I check your blog from time to time with not luck of updates ever. Good to see something here. Since I'm new to AGS I hadn't seen this thread before and I love the looks of the screenshots on page 1. I can't wait to play this - although it seems it'll take a while...
ca. 70% completed

Matti

Great new screenie, abstauber, it shows a lot of progress! I'm still looking forward to this one  ;)

Dualnames

Wow and I thought the 2008 version was epic enough. :D
I'm really looking forward to this, since I played on Stickam. So get going lad!

abstauber

Ahh.. (as in relief, not yelling)

Good to know that you are still there :D Thanks

Iliya

Good, very nice screenshots. But why in the youtube preview there are no screenshots and scenes from the game?

abstauber

Hey thanks!

Of course we also have some playable content but not enough to justify a trailer. Right now it would just spoil the fun and not create excitement. That's why the video just shows the rhythmgame.

Iliya

Quote from: abstauber on Mon 04/10/2010 10:57:29
Hey thanks!
Of course we also have some playable content but not enough to justify a trailer. Right now it would just spoil the fun and not create excitement. That's why the video just shows the rhythmgame.

I can't agree with that. 1 or 2 playable scenes in a trailer like the one shown as screenshots are the best for the presentation. When I saw the trailer for the 1st time, I though that the link is wrong, because I expected to see the screenshots in the post. Then I saw that on the link is written that its a minigame. It's a little confusing.

abstauber

Hehe alright, I make it up in the next trailer ;)

LUniqueDan

Great graphx, Abstauer, love also the look of the Speech system (1st Screenie) I'm definitively looking for this game.
"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe. Destroyed pigeon nests on the roof of the toolshed. I watched dead mice glitter in the dark, near the rain gutter trap.
All those moments... will be lost... in time, like tears... in... rain."

Julius Dangerous

Darth Mandarb

Two in two days...

Ramjuz you just dug up a thread that hasn't been posted to for almost FOUR YEARS.  Please read the forum rules (in each board) before posting.

abstauber - you know the drill, if/when you want to post an update PM me and I'll unlock this (if you're even still working on it).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk