Background Blitz; standard edition (1-14 September)

Started by Andail, Mon 01/09/2008 14:06:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Andail

All right, we (I) have decided to split up the blitzes into a standard edition and a deluxe one. The standard edition will be just like the ordinary ones; two weeks duration and preferably no C&C; just submit and vote. Obviously, you should still motivate your decisions.

(Loominous can still run the Deluxe version whenever he wants, and the two will run parallel.)

Allright, here comes the new bi-weeky Background Blitz Standard Edition.

BIBLICAL SITE REVISITED

This is not a background; just a picture for your inspiration!
Basically you pick a scene from the bible (or possibly another famous religious scripture), and pretend that a modern-day adventurer comes across it today. There should be an element of anachronism involved. Either the site itself has adapted to a modern environment, or the adventurer has travelled back in time, or similar.

Restrictions: any resolution, any amount of colours.

We close this activity 2 weeks from now, no delays.

ildu

May I respectfully request that the size range be changed to allow 640x bgs, as well as 320x ones? It's just that I instantly got inspired by the ref image, and would like to pursue a certain painterly approach, to which 320x doesn't do justice :).

Nice to see the blitz back again :D.

Andail

Okidoke, let's allow 640x as well, just to appease as many as possible.

Dualnames

This is irrelevant but wondering two things, since I didn't get the chance to post since the topic was locked. Why lock it after four months and not in the very first week/day? Secondly, I never said I own this place, but people at the AGS stickam sort of discussed that yes that comp was sort of going too far, I'm sure though that nobody wished it would be halted. Maybe wrapped up fast. Anyway, if this is what my words caused, then I'm sincere apologising to loominous(to which some of you didn't behave so well, or no at all well to be precise(including me in two posts)), I really think instead of starting a new one deluxe,just continue the already existing and when it's wrapped up, start a new one.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Neil Dnuma

EDIT

Unfortunately too much work elsewhere these days, so I'll have to pass. Liked the topic though.

Andail

3 more days. I hope people are busy finishing their pieces! I think this theme has a lot of potential, if I may say so myself, but I could be wrong, obviously.

cat

Ever wanted to walk on water? Now you can, with Sea of Galilee water ski rental!

loominous

Clueless about what stable they'd visit, he errected a neon sign, got his camera ready, and hoped for the best.

Edit: Progress pics (link)
Looking for a writer

Misj'

I love irony as much as the next guy, but considering how many people begged for this, I 'demand' more entries than only Cat's. ;)

But we still have a few hours (depending on where in the world you live)

ps. While I wrote this, Loominous added an entry (but we can't count him, because he's not allowed to do anything until he declared a winner for the workshop. :P )

Andail

Nope, the deadline was clear from the start. People will become lazy if we always postpone the dates. I have to say I expected more interest in this considering how people kept bickering about Loomy's blitz.

So there are two entries to vote on. I think both are hilarious; Cat's waterski rental and Loomy's Stable both involve anachronisms to a great comical effect.
The latter piece is quite breathtaking technique-wise, I must say.

Ryan Timothy B

People did want the blitz back, but not every topic OR the timing will appeal to the masses.  I think the challenge was quite clever and left room for many possibilities--I for one couldn't think of anything witty so I decided to wait for the next challenge.

There's also nothing wrong with both challenges running simultaneously, not sure why everyone started stabbing forks into each other--guess they just needed something to argue about.  Backgrounds blitz has been around for a while, and with that big break, I was even starting to get blitz withdrawals.

Anyway. Cat and definitely Loominous, you two did great work!

Neutron

I just want to say, I am glad the normal background blitz is back, And I would have participated had I noticed it in time.  Btw, hi guys, it has been awhile.

loominous

Looking for a writer

Andail

Allright, seems like we have a winner :)
Good luck, Cat, and I hope you get more participants for your round!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk