AGS Editor on OS X

Started by Xingu_Clocktime, Sat 06/09/2008 19:12:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Xingu_Clocktime

Yes, I know, this question has probably been asked twenty times in the past, but is there any AGS editor for MAC OS X, and, if there isn't, is there a similar editor to create a game on MAC OS X? Yeah, I'm not looking for anything to let me play game, but to make them. If the case that I can't use AGS at the moment and I have to use a different one, I might like to add that I'm Looking for FREEWARE.

Edited by mod: Changed subject so it is easier for people to understand what this thread is about, without reading its content.

Makeout Patrol

AGS does not work on OS X; I use Boot Camp to run it. If you have Parallels you might try that, or I think it works in WINE if you happen to have Linux installed. I don't know of any other editors that work in OS X, but some googling might be able to clean that up for you.

Xingu_Clocktime

ok, a link to Boot camp? And, do I have to have those programs to make it work?

Khris

Makeout Patrol

Boot Camp is included in Leopard, or it's easily findable on the Apple web site. You need a Windows install disc, though.

Linux and WINE are both free, and they won't be much more of a pain to get running than Boot Camp will be.

Dualnames

Quote from: Makeout Patrol on Sat 06/09/2008 19:24:18
AGS does not work on OS X; I use Boot Camp to run it. If you have Parallels you might try that, or I think it works in WINE if you happen to have Linux installed. I don't know of any other editors that work in OS X, but some googling might be able to clean that up for you.

That made an irrelavant sentence of words in my head..
which happen to be:
"Did you make Vacuum on a Mac?"
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Makeout Patrol

Quote from: Dualnames on Sat 06/09/2008 22:33:10
Quote from: Makeout Patrol on Sat 06/09/2008 19:24:18

That made an irrelavant sentence of words in my head..
which happen to be:
"Did you make Vacuum on a Mac?"

As a matter of fact, I did. I use the macbook pro that I got a couple of years ago for everything; I don't have a desktop.

Dualnames

That's well, we don't hear a lot AGS games for Mac users, which is sad. Glad you're the exception.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Makeout Patrol

Now if only there was a way to get AGS 3.0 games working on OS X without shelling out money for Windows or Parallels...

RickJ

AGS3.0 editor doesn't work with Linux+wine AFAIK. I am currently using Kubuntu 8.04 Linux + VirtualBox with pretty good results.  This requires a windows disk as was mentioned with BootCamp on the Mac.

Xingu_Clocktime

you mean, your using a linux computer with a virtual box add-on?

RickJ

you mean, your using a linux computer with a virtual box add-on?
VirtualBox is not hardware if that's what you're asking.  It's a software package that allows you to install guest operating systems such as Win2k on a Linux computer.    It's similar to the above mentioned parallesl.   From virtual box's website they describe their product ...

VirtualBox is a family of powerful x86 virtualization products for enterprise as well as home use. Not only is VirtualBox an extremely feature rich, high performance product for enterprise customers, it is also the only professional solution that is freely available as Open Source Software under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). See "About VirtualBox" for an introduction.

Presently, VirtualBox runs on Windows, Linux, Macintosh and OpenSolaris hosts and supports a large number of guest operating systems including but not limited to Windows (NT 4.0, 2000, XP, Server 2003, Vista), DOS/Windows 3.x, Linux (2.4 and 2.6), and OpenBSD.

http://www.virtualbox.org/

They say it will run on a Mac and it's free.  I am quite happy with using the linux version.  It's part of the current Kubuntu distribution so it was simply a couple of clicks to get it installed.   It was more trouble installing windows and .net to be honest.  After that I googled for some advice and found a little howto guide to enable seemless integration.   VirtualBox allows one to map a Linux directory to a windows networked drive.  There are only a couple minor problems I have found so far.

• The AGS editor will open, edit, and save games residing on the networked drive but will not compile or run/test such games.  This has been reported but it's not clear if can be fixed.

• When running the game in test mode it is necessary to use windowed mode.  VirtualBox/Linux don't seem to be to keen on changing video modes from within the Windows VM.   I guess this kind of makes sense that this isn't possible but it doesn't fail gracefully.

• Moving the test window so that a portion goes off the bottom of the screen cause a problem where the off screen part is displayed at the top of the screen.  The widows task bar is messed up as well when this happens. 

The last two items are annoying but easily avoidable  If the editor was able to use the network drive I would be as happy as a pig in poop. 

Gilbert

Such discussions are completely okay here, but I have just changed the subject of this thread to something more straight forward. :)

BTW, for some reasons I use Virtual Box on windows also (no, I don't use linux and I don't have a MAC). It is nice and is free. I think even though most softwares are cross-platform nowadays, it's still worthing installing a virtualisation or windows emulation software for linux or MAC users, in case they need to run something that is only available for M$ platforms, you need space (and $$$ for a legal) copy of windowsif you use virtualisation softwares though.

It is also fun if you run the same (type of) OS as your host OS inside VirtualBox. This is useful when you need to test something that may blow up your OS or configuration. If you test it inside a virtual machine, you probably get no harm when the client OS just runs out of service.

edmundito

I have a Mac laptop myself, and because it has become my primary home computer, I've tried to get AGS to run on it. First, I tried virtualization and I found it painfully slow. It was pretty cool for a while, (screenshot 1, screenshot 2) but not good enough for me to do some serious development since it was way too slow.

So, instead I got boot camp setup and installed Windows primarily to use AGS, which I did to work on Ben Jordan 7's new GUI. It was a bit painful for a while working this way because I did the assets in photoshop on the mac side, then switched to windows only to find out that I would mess something up. Eventually I settled for making corrections on mspaint, which was fine for pixel work.

Still, before settling for Windows, I tried installing mono (.NET for unix systems basically) and tried to run the ags editor 3.0 through it. I failed to install mono on the mac though because there were some incompatibilities and some quirks I needed to make it work, so I gave up.

While it would be nice to have a fully supported editor on the mac, I see what some of the limitations are to make this happen. I think more importantly it would be nice to have a mac runtime so we can play the games, though I mentioned this on the thread about ags for mac.
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

Xingu_Clocktime

how did you get it without boot camp?

edmundito

I used VM Ware Fusion. You can also use Parallels.

They were both very slow for me, though.
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

Xingu_Clocktime

I tried to download the 30 day trial- it gave me a code- what now?

humaldo

I know this is a rather old thread, but the topic is still valid so I decided to post my finding here:

I recently tried running AGS on my 2013 Macbook and downloaded the 15 days demo version of parallels desktop. I installed Windows 10 tech preview and installed AGS there. It seemed to work well, AGS ran without any problems. But when I tried to start a compiled game by clicking the .exe , an Error window showed up: "ERROR - Unable to find or open ':/(Filepath)'."

After I tried to tweak a few things without any success, I installed Windows 8 on Parallels Desktop, but the result was the same. So I decided to use Bootcamp to install a "real" version of Windows on my Macbook. Having to reboot for being able to work on AGS games isn't that bad :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk