Kingdom O' Magic (Remake) --- Updated

Started by Revonx, Tue 16/09/2008 04:34:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Revonx

Added some more videos on youtube, showing updated in-game action, one of the mini-games and a cutscene.

My account: http://de.youtube.com/user/TheObnoxiousOne
In game action (3 months in): http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=SReghiQSmfo
Cutscene: http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=IqiZdSRtwaM&feature=related
Mini Game: http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=RQkYQNnWnkw&feature=related

Will update the demo (and reduce the size) in the coming weeks. Keep in touch.

Revonx.

Frodo

I'll have a look at these tonight, when I get home.

Thanks Revonx.   ;D

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Frodo

Quote from: Dualnames on Sat 10/01/2009 21:49:20
Those look terribly good!!

I have to agree.  These are fantastic.    ;D

Dualnames

Got to say you've done a wonderfull job, makes me want to play!!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Revonx

Thanks guys, much appreciated, I'll keep you updated with all progress. ;D

Regards,

Revonx.

Dualnames

Ok, downloaded played and have some comments.

First, please receive this as good critique. ;D

1)Well, there's definetely a hell going on in the data folder. Which you can reduce to dust and just have your game distributed without the ffdshow plugin and reduce size to 50%-70%. Convert those mpeg and two mpgs to *.ogv. All you need is AGS 3.1.1 and a program to convert them ( i can redirect you to one I'm using). AGS will compile these files along the exe, so you'll gain size, and non-viewability(people won't be able to view them). No one needs a plugin and a codec to play your game this way.

2) Also remove the *.scm (2), since AGS isn't using them anyway. You are using them in the game yes, but they're no use to AGS at the compiled folder.

3) The talk to cursor is very very similar to the look at. A mouth or something would be better. And the pick up icon seems to be off no use for anything else so it might be better to remove it and use eModeInteract interaction for picking up items instead of displaying a message like "Try picking it up".

Other than that:
1) Excellent job overall. The game feels alive with all those people walking doing stuff and all.
2) The intro is very nicely done
3) The cursors and GUI interface match the game graphically and gamewisely.
4) Can't wait for the full game.

Revonx

Firstly, this is some of the best constructive criticism I've had so far, please don't be worried about causing any offence, I implore everyone to do the same and seek out the bad more so than the good and that way I can change or alter some of the games 'less' good qualities.

Convert those mpeg and two mpgs to *.ogv.
Yes, I planned to have all sound and music in that format. But, upon converting, some sounds were damaged and quality massively reduced for reasons I canno't for the life of me explain (even when having prior knowledge of sound and its formats) I'm sure theres a way around it and if there is I shall certainly do it in preperation for the full version.

All you need is AGS 3.1.1
Not the version I'm currently using, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem to upgrade. Does AGS 3.1.1, compile the 'compiled folder' into the exe instead of having it as a seperate entity, is that what you're saying?

Also remove the *.scm (2), since AGS isn't using them anyway. You are using them in the game yes, but they're no use to AGS at the compiled folder.
Thankyou for this, I was unsure of whether they were required to stay in the folder or not.

The talk to cursor is very very similar to the look at. A mouth or something would be better.
Hmmm, not sure about this one, I think the magnifying glass is quite distinguishable from the microphone. This is also what the original had as cursors, I'll give it some thought though.

And the pick up icon seems to be off no use for anything else so it might be better to remove it and use eModeInteract interaction for picking up items instead of displaying a message like "Try picking it up".
Yes, I was worried about this. I realised somewhere down the line that the pick up cursor serves no real point other than to pick up objects. You've confirmed my fears, the pick up icon will dissappear for the full version. ;D

The game feels alive with all those people walking doing stuff and all.
There were limitations, it being a demo with only several rooms available, the full version will see characters (such as Goliath) walking around most of the entire map.

The intro is very nicely done
Very mixed views on the intro, mostly with the sound in the background. Although people liked the story, they weren't to happy with the mixing movable characters/animation with non moving characters/no animations.

The cursors and GUI interface match the game graphically and gamewisely.
Thankyou, yes, I thought so too. Someone suggested the cursors were too small, but I think he'd been playing the original too much, where the interact cursor is about the same size as Thidney and sometimes (when Thidney walks into the distance) twice as big!

Can't wait for the full game.
Critique like this will only speed up the whole process. ;D

Thanks again for the wise words and I'll be happy to answer any further questions.

Regards,

Revonx.

Dualnames

You should definetely plan to update to 3.1.1, if you want to use ogv theora video files. You put all your *.ogv to the main folder (not the compiled), and you press compile. The video files are then compiled within the exe. That's what I said. So nevermind anything else you probably misunderstood. As for quality of videos yes, indeed I've noticed that from wmv to ogv there's no difference but from mpeg to ogv there is. Of course that is dependent on the program you're using. So not sure if it's the format that causes loss of quality.

As for the talk cursor, I might be blind but it really doesn't seem like a microphone..if you put some black spots as holes might make it appear more like one. Or it's just me then.

As for the intro, I noticed that, but that doesn't make the game bad. Instead it gives a style. And discworld noir had very bad talking views but I still loved the game. Anyway, the way this is done in this game isn't bad for me at all.

Oh, last thought just came in: Would it be difficult to put a Characters button next to talk to, walk to, look at, buttons (I'm speaking about the GUI that appears on the top of the screen), or add some hotkey for it?

Clarifying:
*.ogv are video format
*.ogg are sound format (almost lossless compression at least I never managed to realize if it's losing, the difference appears very little to me. All my music vox and sound files are in ogg.)

I have a clue that you probably messed them in your mind. Not trying to be a smartass and that.

KuroShiro

Have to say, I tried it out and was very pleasantly surprised. The screenshots don't really do the product justice as the static screens make the characters look a lot more out of place than they do in the actual game, and of course the game itself is quite awesome. Keep up the great work!
"What's it made of?" "Cyanide and Happiness." "Happiness? Hot damn, I'll take 4!"

Frodo

I finally figured out how to win the dance contest, and now I got to Baker's Island, and finished the demo.  Brilliant work.   ;D

Revonx

Hi guys, thanks for all the comments,

I'll handle this all in one post.

DualNames

you probably misunderstood/I have a clue that you probably messed them in your mind
Yes sorry about that, not that your post was confusing, I think I must have been having a mental meltdown. You know how it is.
As for the talk cursor, I might be blind but it really doesn't seem like a microphone..if you put some black spots as holes might make it appear more like one. Or it's just me then
I've looked into this. The cursor perhaps does not appear quite like a microphone because of the size. So either I will slightly increase the actual size of the cursor (therefore increase the rest of the cursors) or, I will use a different sprite for the talk to cursor, or as you said, attempt to modify the original sprite, black spots as holes e.t.c.

Would it be difficult to put a Characters button next to talk to, walk to, look at, buttons (I'm speaking about the GUI that appears on the top of the screen), or add some hotkey for it?
Not entirely sure what you mean here, apologies if I seem ignorant.
Are you talking about the characters screen that can be accessed in the MENU from the GUI at the top?
Are you talking about Thindey's character screen alone?
I'm in the process of implementing a button which shows health, weapons, spells e.t.c. (If this isn't what you were talking about at all, apologies, but atleast it gives me an excuse to address this issue). It wasn't in the demo, because you couldn't attack anyone or get damaged (asside from actual death) but in the full version it plays a rather large part, I quickly threw together a screenshot to attempt to explain what I mean.

This button is not going to look exactly like that, don't worry. But you get the idea. It brings up several details about the player character, (not too many, remembering that this is more a point and click adventure game, rather than an RPG) details such as health, weapons found and level of intoxicity (how drunk you are).

KuroShiro

Have to say, I tried it out and was very pleasantly surprised. The screenshots don't really do the product justice as the static screens make the characters look a lot more out of place than they do in the actual game, and of course the game itself is quite awesome. Keep up the great work!
Thankyou, glad you are enjoying it so far. ;D
Yes, I was aware that the screenshots weren't really doing the game justice and they did indeed show the characters out of place. I did add some videos on youtube showing some in game action, they still don't do the game complete justice, but I think they were better than screenshots.Whether this and the huge file size discouraged people to download and try, still remains a quandary. But you downloaded and tried/enjoyed it anyway so maybe that issue wasn't on too many people's minds ;D
Thanks for giving it a go and letting me know what you thought.

Frodo

I finally figured out how to win the dance contest, and now I got to Baker's Island, and finished the demo.  Brilliant work.

Thats great! ;D you may well be the first person to get that far. I hope it wasn't too tricky for you, I want the game to be challenging but still very doable. If you found a puzzle too difficult or stupid (in the: It didn't take any brain power just constant trial and error, awell as clicking everywhere to achieve a result) let me know and I'll consider changing it or making it easier. The first part of the game was meant to be a little 'easier' than the rest and at the same time bringing to light all the different things you can do in the game, kinda like an unofficial tutorial. Glad you enjoyed the demo, did you manage to find the red herring/wild goose chase (something to do with a wig).

Thanks for all the comments and ideas, much appreciated and I'll keep you all posted on any further developments.

Regards,

Revonx.

Frodo

Quote from: Revonx on Sat 17/01/2009 15:27:55
Frodo

... did you manage to find the red herring/wild goose chase (something to do with a wig)...

Do you mean
Spoiler
Get credit card from komdom (good play on words, by the way) machine in the toilets, and use it in wig shop to buy a wig.  Now go along to the hairdresser, and he will cut your hair\wig, and give you hairspray.   ;)
[close]

On a similar subject
Spoiler
Look at king's advisor, to see she has a sheep.  Ask her about it, and she will give it to you.  Now take sheep to hairdresser, and let him loose on the sheep.  He will give sheep a haircut, and get carried away.  He gives you wool and sheep remains.  Poor sheep.  Lol   ;D
[close]

But don't forget to make granny happy.
Spoiler
Give sheep wool to granny, so you can get grandson, who deals with gingerbread men on Baker's Island.   :D
[close]

Dualnames

I'm talking about the charactes screen (the one that gets updated each time you examine a character)

Revonx

Frodo

Spoiler
Yes, thats pretty much it, if you give the loose hair (that you got from getting the wig cut) to the wigmeister he'll give you a sign, which by the way is completly useless. And indeed as I'm sure you've realised the wigmeister, himself, serves no purpose whatsoever to KOM (apart from entertainment) ;D The sheep had it coming, try giving the leftovers back to Krystal. Congratulations on completing the demo You're the first one to do it, achievement, much!
[close]

Dualnames

There will be a hotkey, probably F8, for the characters screen. F6 for Save Game, F7 for load game e.t.c.

Frodo

Revonx, I had already dealt with Krystal.   :)

Spoiler
I gave her sheep remains, and she is shocked at what has become of her sheep friend.  She storms off in a huff, and the new king's advisor is......  Sharon!   ;D 
[close]

Hilarious!   :D

Frodo

Just wondering if there was any update on this?    8)

Revonx

Quote from: Frodo on Wed 18/02/2009 22:05:58

Its coming along, just slowly.....

Dualnames

Quote from: Revonx on Fri 20/02/2009 02:01:34
Quote from: Frodo on Wed 18/02/2009 22:05:58

Its coming along, just slowly.....

He's moving along but very slowly 8)

moo

Hey there. I love kom n its awsome that ur doing a remake.

I've tried using that link/site to download the demo but it keeps telling me that its gonna take 20 or 30 hours to download then timing out after 5-10 mins.

Is there any chance of uploading it as a torrent? I'm sure there's a lot of people here that would seed it, me included.

Thanks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk