Scripting
Story 100%
Puzzles 80%
Dialogs 10%
Functions 10%
Messages 5%
Additional 5%

Sound/Music 50%

Sorry about the file size but it is a huge game, the demo in itself qualifies as a full AGS game. Do I dare say that, once finished, KOM will be the largest AGS game ever made?

I had to look around for a site that'd host such a large file, as I don't have one of my own. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to do for the full version? I estimate that the size will be around 1.2GB. I don't know if Adventuregamestudio.co.uk will support this.

For additional info view the quickly thrown together readme contained in the download. Any additional questions will be answered here or you can contact me at Revonx@gmail.com.

Hopefully Movies/Music and sound effects are compatible with most machines, I don't know what to say if the formats below don't work on your PC, all I can tell you is that they work on mine. Google for the formats below if you experience problems, but (hopefully) you probably won't. I've included a video plugin just in case.

Movie clips are MPEG and are coded with ffdshow.
Music is OGG/
Sound is MP3 and WAV.

Will post a bug report here and make necessary changes. I'd like to keep updating the demo but in larger bursts. I also want to enter it into the AGS demo competition eventually, but I haven't really looked into it yet.

The demo is still missing door animations over Flake Town and Bakers Isle which is why it sometimes look odd when Thidney walks into a room because its allowing space for a door.

Demo contains:
---92 rooms (Not all are rooms are where the player actually walks around in, as rooms are used for talking to characters, menus e.t.c)

---24 characters

---22 Inventory items

---91 Dialogs

---Over 7000 lines of script

---Several puzzles

--- And one red herring/crazy ass wild goose chase

If I asked you to test or you offered to test, please keep in contact though I'll be around less coming up to New Year. I'm making good progress on the full version but I wont say when the full version is, until I'm very close (I made that mistake before).

IMPORTANT

KOM is very much your game, you have the ability to voice your own opinion wether you are happy or unhappy with the material thats there. If you want to see something added or something removed you have only to tell me in any format you desire and I will very likely make necessary changes. Upon playing the demo you might have figured that I was a bit of a perfectionist and therefore I won't release the full version until all voices have been heard. Some may complain (be in support) of certain views that are expressed through the medium of humour within the game. And I apologise if you are offended by these perhaps new age views. It is not my intention to enforce my opinions upon you, but wether its music, movies or games that we are making or have made, we leave behind an imprint of ourselves voicing our personal opinion. Sometimes the best way to express these views are through entertainment, and in KOM's case concealed by a curtain of consistent sarcasm. However if there are parts of the game that you felt were just plain offensive (maybe talking to Krystal) please tell me in confidence and I will certainly take it on board.

BUG REPORT:

1. Talking to Terrence/1st time/Second Dialog/3rd Option/5th line ==Spacing incorrect.
2. Walking off Flake Town Bridge at night ==  Flase demo completion

ENJOY!

What is it?

For those that haven't heard of it before, it was released by SCi in 1996. It is a comedic point and click adventure game, filled with bizarre humour.
The game is a parody of J. R. R. Tolkien's Middle-earth, as seen in the names of some of the places in the game such as Rivendull and Minar Tragedy.It was designed by Fergus McNeill who became famous during the eighties for games such as Bored of the Rings (influenced by, but not adapted from, the Harvard Lampoon book) and The Boggit.
KOM was planned for release on four different systems: MS-DOS, Sega Saturn, Sony PlayStation, Apple Macintosh but fell through for the Sega Saturn.
The origional recieved very mixed reviews, some stating that it was terrible, while others swear by it being right up there with the top dogs of point and click adventure. For those of you that remember it,  might agree that the game itself was a real landmark for adventure games and had the potential to be rather extraordinary, but there were so many improvements that could have been made.

Whats going to change from the original?

Again for those that have played the game, you will remember there were two playable characters 'Thidney' and 'Sharon', my version will only feature 'Thidney' as a playable character, but will also feature 'Sharon' as an NPC within the game. You may also remember three seperate quests, I intend to combine all three plus an and more to form one whole version.
I don't want to spoil  the original game, only improve and add on. For example the fighting mechanism of the original was very basic and I was thinking of a more 'Quest for Glory' approach rather than its former 'point and smack'.
I want to keep the sprites in 3D.
The story will change though not completely.
Some sprites will be kept, some thrown, some added.
All original rooms will be kept, a few added.
Obviously alot more, that my brain can't fathom at the moment.

Start Screen

Map

Some characters in KOM

The Ferryman

Flake Town at Night

Options

The Pier

King Afro's Palace

Talking to the Jolly Mutant

Beer

The Mysterious Bakers Isle

So who the hell are you?

I'm not a designer at all, just a big point and click fan, which forced me to learn the 'Tricks of the Trade'. However you're support wether it be offering suggestions or attention will be key to completing this project. I also promise to thankyou in the credits.

When can we expect the game?

I will hopefully release a demo  by December 14 purely for reaction purposes, you could probably expect the full game late Jan early Feb. These are estimates and I don't consider myself on any kind of deadline, so if its later, its later. ;D

Is it gonna cost anything?

Not a dime.

Finally!

Enjoy.

Revonx.
:o

Frodo

Oh, I love this game.   :D  I still have the cds (for Thidney and Sharon), but I could never get it to work in Windows XP or Vista.

It will be so great if you pull this off.  Will there be voice acting in?  Thidney's voice added a lot of appeal to it, I thought.

I can't offer you any techinal advice, cos I don't know how to programme or animate.  But I wish you lots of luck and best wishes.

I'm very much looking forward to your demo.   ;D

Revonx

Quote from: Frodo on Tue 16/09/2008 11:59:40
Will there be voice acting in?

Yes there will be, I'm gonna try and stick with Thidneys scottish accent. I will be looking for voice actors at some stage but it may be a while off.

Jimtbrit

Likewise, I remember the original and would like to see a remake, in the mean time does anyone have any ideas how to get the original running through XP? I have tried Dosbox but I could not seem to get the speed right.

Revonx

Quote from: Jimtbrit on Tue 16/09/2008 17:32:54
Likewise, I remember the original and would like to see a remake, in the mean time does anyone have any ideas how to get the original running through XP? I have tried Dosbox but I could not seem to get the speed right.

Obviously I'm constantly playing the original, can't do it all from memory. Have you tried running it under D-Fend? You could try editing your DosBox cycles.

Jimtbrit

I will have to hunt down my old copy and give it a try.
Thanks and good luck with the project.

Dualnames

Reminds me of DiscNoir concerning graphics.. never played the original, this one does look nice.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Frodo

Are you gonna have a narrator in it, filling in background story and adding a lot of comcical remarks (like the original), or are you gonna focus more on the main character?

What kind of interface will the game have?  Verb coin thingy?  Words \ actions across athe bottom (Monkey Island style)?  The AGS bar at top of screen?  Something else?

:)

Revonx

Quote from: Frodo on Thu 18/09/2008 17:29:14
Are you gonna have a narrator in it, filling in background story and adding a lot of comcical remarks (like the original), or are you gonna focus more on the main character?

What kind of interface will the game have?  Verb coin thingy?  Words \ actions across athe bottom (Monkey Island style)?  The AGS bar at top of screen?  Something else?

:)

Hopefully there will be a narrator with text also, thats one of the last things that I'll actually do. As you remember in the origional when you clicked on an accessible sprite, object or character, a small ring popped up where you could select to look at, pick up, use, cast a spell on and attack. In the remake no such ring will be displayed but you will still be able to preform these actions with a right click or going through the gui, (that bar at the top). The only action I have not included is the cast spell cursor, you will still be able to cast spells on characters and the enviroment but these 'spells' in the form of scrolls will be accessible through the inventory. Not sure what you mean by the 'verb coin thingy'. All text will be displayed at the bottom of the screen including when in dialogue with another character. Hope I answered your questions, please don't hesitate to quote me on that and thankyou very much for asking them. : )

Revonx.

Frodo

The verb coin thingy is very similar to the small ring in the original.  But you have explained that the same actions can be performed by right clicking or using bar at the top, thanks.    :)

I'm curious about your Fighting system.  You want to go for more of a Quest For Glory style.  Do you mean that, the more you fight, the better you get, and your punches, kicks etc with cause more damage - kinda like leveling up?  Or do you mean that we (the player) will have more control over the fight itself, being able to move left \ right \ slash \ dodge etc?   8)

I assume it will be Vista compatible?   ;)

*counts days until demo is released*

Revonx

Quote from: Frodo on Sat 20/09/2008 01:27:28
The verb coin thingy is very similar to the small ring in the original.  But you have explained that the same actions can be performed by right clicking or using bar at the top, thanks.    :)

I'm curious about your Fighting system.  You want to go for more of a Quest For Glory style.  Do you mean that, the more you fight, the better you get, and your punches, kicks etc with cause more damage - kinda like leveling up?  Or do you mean that we (the player) will have more control over the fight itself, being able to move left \ right \ slash \ dodge etc?   8)

I assume it will be Vista compatible?   ;)

*counts days until demo is released*

Working on the fighting system as we speak, very tricky for the AGS, I just downloaded an AGS version remake of Quest for Glory two and trying to work out exactly how they did it. You wont be able to 'level up' as such but obviously different weapons and spells do different amounts of damage. You won't however effectively be able to kill every NPC in the game, because obviously some characters are key to the game. I'll let you know more when I've actually completed a fight sequence. The demo and game itself will be vista compatible, I'm running vista myself. I shall try to have a demo up sometime next week, I'm very pleased that your interested. : )

Revonx

Quote from: Dualnames on Thu 18/09/2008 16:55:34
Reminds me of DiscNoir concerning graphics.. never played the original, this one does look nice.

Never played 'Discnoir', is that an AGS game, sound interesting.

Frodo

Quote from: Revonx on Wed 24/09/2008 12:58:57
Quote from: Dualnames on Thu 18/09/2008 16:55:34

Never played 'Discnoir', is that an AGS game, sound interesting.

I assume he means Discworld Noir, which is a commercial game - http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/discworld-noir/screenshots

Can't wait to get my hands on your demo though.   ;D

Dualnames

Yep it's Discworld Noir, it is. Well, really nice game, it seems. Waiting for it...
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Revonx

[/Can't wait to get my hands on your demo though.   ;D]
Can't wait to get my hands on your demo though.   ;D

You will be able to very soon, hopefully by the end of this week. Its not really gonna be a demo though, just something to show how the full version will play, I'm sure you'll enjoy it all the same. Because you've shown such an active intrest how'd you like to be the first to try it? Because you know the original quite well I'm hoping you can give me some advice as to what else the game needs, you don't have to if you don't want to, but I'd be very pleased if you would and of course I'll include you in the credits.  ;D

Frodo

It would be so awesome to see you demo, Revonx.  Thanks.   ;D

I sent you pm.   :)

Revonx

Hi,

Apologies to those waiting for the demo, I'm waiting on some input from an outside source which will add to the game, I did promise a demo this week, but I'm behind schedule, excpect one within a fortnight.

Keep in touch,

Revonx

Frodo

Okay, no problem Revonx   :)

Trent R

Don't worry Revonx, every indie game developer has setbacks and delays. I doubt there's a single AGSer that has done everything on time (except maybe CJ, but he has a right to say "It's not realeased, stop bothering me")

As for your game, it has a very interesting look, and I'm excited to play. I've never heard of the original, so I'm betting that your remake will be my only choice to get it.

~Trent
To give back to the AGS community, I can get you free, full versions of commercial software. Recently, Paint Shop Pro X, and eXPert PDF Pro 6. Please PM me for details.

Current Project: The Wanderer
On Hold: Hero of the Rune

Revonx

Quote from: Trent R on Sat 18/10/2008 05:01:50
Don't worry Revonx, every indie game developer has setbacks and delays. I doubt there's a single AGSer that has done everything on time (except maybe CJ, but he has a right to say "It's not realeased, stop bothering me")

As for your game, it has a very interesting look, and I'm excited to play. I've never heard of the original, so I'm betting that your remake will be my only choice to get it.

~Trent

Hopefully there will be no more delays, glad more people are interested. ;D

Revonx.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk