A Pirates Tale version 1.2 released

Started by shayavr, Mon 29/09/2008 10:42:51

Previous topic - Next topic

shayavr

New version released

- English typos an spelling corrected thanks to ArjOn 
- All characters, hotspots and objects are shown in the status bar when the cursor is over them

once again many thanks to Arjon for the help with the english

The games is finished a head of schedule!!
Since it's a new jewish year, i've released it a little earlier.
SHANA TOVA to everyone!
And enjoy the game  :)

Download link:
http://www.4shared.com/file/67823783/828b06a8/A_PIRATES_TALE_V12.html
the dude abides

kaputtnik

A game about a pirate who wants to become a jew? Downloading right now!

~edit: Oh, it's a story about a mop boy who wants to become a pirate, or rather decides to become a pirate. The rooms are pretty big and empty, which means long walks through okay graphics, the music is quite distracting and the volume levels are very unbalanced. The spelling is a bit off road, I'd say, but not annoying. Yeah, and the story...well, it features pirates.

I like the inventory items, though.
I, object.

Leon

Nice game so far... good graphics. Not very original tune but it gets you in the mood  :D
I'll let you know the rest of my findings when finished.

Update: Oops...  :-[ I crashed the game by walking behind the desk at the inn: Error: Too many events posted.

Update 2: Oops again. The game crashes while talking to Bob & Dave at the square for the 2nd time: Error: DoDialog: all options have been turned off
Spoiler
This happens only when the trophy isn't cleaned yet
[close]

Apart from the many typos and crashes I like the humor and monkey-island style of conversation (especially at the bar...)
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

speelteveel

I had the same error....

Edit:
Leon, care to help me out? I posted in the hints and tips on "A pirates tale!" .
Dig that groove, baby!

robvalue

I want to like this game, but I'm finding it too frustrating to play. The exits to each screen aren't clear and I have to keep moving around really close to the edge of the screen to try and find them... The game looks good apart from this. Could you make the cursor become an arrow when you are over an exit (and make the areas for exiting the screen bigger) please? It would really help me to play it. Thanks.

Leon

Finished this one. Wow, great story. A great revival of Monkey Island. The 'rough' graphics take you back in time.

A few things though: Like robvalue said, the transition areas are way too small or unclear.
Spoiler
I've searched for the front of jail and the coinslot for several hours
[close]

I would expect more interaction with objects and more elaboration on what I can see around me. That makes the puzzles a bit more interesting too. Too many screens are 'dead' and thus become unattractive.
The puzzles were of good level of difficulty, nothing unlogical.

Looking forward to Caged Dragon!
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

shayavr

The 2 bugs mentioned are fixed
also improved the exit between screens (made areas bigger)

new version can be downloaded now using the download link
thanks for turning my attention

the dude abides

arj0n

ShayAvr,

Bug #3:

Downloaded the game at 29-oct-2008. Found one little bug:
Spoiler
after correcting the calender settings, i opened the door so a cave entrance is visible. But Nathaniel  can walk sort of behind the cave entrance while still in the room The cave entrance is then in front of him in stead of behind him...
[close]

shayavr

Quote from: Arj0n on Wed 01/10/2008 09:08:47
ShayAvr,

Bug #3:

Downloaded the game at 29-oct-2008. Found one little bug:
Spoiler
after correcting the calender settings, i opened the door so a cave entrance is visible. But Nathaniel  can walk sort of behind the cave entrance while still in the room The cave entrance is then in front of him in stead of behind him...
[close]

OK
Checking it out!
Let me know if you found anything else.

Thanks for playing the game :)
the dude abides

arj0n

Thanx for making this game!
Hope there will be a successor sometime  :D

robvalue

I really appreciate you taking onboard what I said about the exits from screens and improving the exit areas.

I downloaded the new version, but I can't seem to notice any difference, I'm still finding it as hard as before to get my character to leave the screen :( Am I doing something wrong? I feel the exit areas could be made hugely bigger without adversely affecting the game.

Edit:

I really like this game and got a lot further, but again found myself frustrated by the exit thing and I feel I'm probably missing a whole screen that I don't know how to get to or don't know is there.

Great work on the game though, overall this is a very nice game.

I found something you may like to change also:

Spoiler
After the murderer kills the pirate in the alley, I went after him and killed him on the island. Later on I returned to the main town and went in the pub (I hadn't been in there since the pirate got killed). Even though my character now knew where the murderer was (killed by me!) he still asked everyone in the pub if they had seen the murderer fleeing. Not a big deal I know, but thought you might like to be told :)
[close]

shayavr

im going to upload a new improved version (ver 1.2)
If i can get an example of a room where the transition thing is a problem it will help. Thanx

if there anything else that bothered you let me know please.

I will also correct some of the spelling mistakes
"Sorry for my bad english..." :s

anyhow, glad you liked the game!

the dude abides

arj0n

Quote from: shayavr on Fri 03/10/2008 17:16:26
I'm going to upload a new improved version (ver 1.2)
If i can get an example of a room where the transition thing is a problem it will help. Thanx

if there anything else that bothered you let me know please.

I will also correct some of the spelling mistakes
"Sorry for my bad english..." :s

anyhow, glad you liked the game!

If i could beany help with the spelling mistakes, no prob.

shayavr

Arj0n

can i send you a translation file for the spelling corrections?
if so send me a PM with an E-Mail i can use

thanks  ;D
the dude abides

Potch

I'm literally stuck in the place with the dead guy.  I can't seem to find the exit anywhere.  :(
The hardest thing in this world... is to live in it. (Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy Summers in "The Gift")

arj0n

Quote from: Potch on Thu 09/10/2008 17:45:04
I'm literally stuck in the place with the dead guy.  I can't seem to find the exit anywhere.  :(

Potch, your question should be in "Hints and Tips" topic:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=35689.0

I finished the game so I guess I can be of any help.

So, where exactly are you stuck? In the village with the dead pirate?

Please give your answer in the topic mentioned above ;-)

greetz,
Arj0n

Potch

No, it should be here because this is a technical issue.  People have been complaining about the exits being hard to find, and the author specifically asked us which screens we were having trouble with the exits.  That's why I posted it here.
The hardest thing in this world... is to live in it. (Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy Summers in "The Gift")

arj0n

Quote from: Potch on Thu 09/10/2008 19:19:03
No, it should be here because this is a technical issue.  People have been complaining about the exits being hard to find, and the author specifically asked us which screens we were having trouble with the exits.  That's why I posted it here.

OK, sorry, misunderstood. True that Shayavr asked that one.
But i don't get it, I had no trouble at all with the exits... Unless I didn't play it in fullscreen.
But that's off topic I guess ;D
Sorry to bother you.

Robvalue had  good one: make the cursor become an arrow when you are over an exit.
But i guess that's gonna cost lot's of time...

Potch

Maybe that is my problem.. .  I'm playing in a window.... I'm playing at work and it makes it easier to click away when the boss comes by.  LOL!  I had problems finding the exits in a lot of the screens.   I had to click all over.  I have finally gotten out of that screen though.   It would definitely be helpful if the exits were a little more pronounced.

shayavr

next game all objects hotspots characters and exits are shown when you move the cursor over them (I finally figured out how to do this..)
as for this game, i'll start working on it, but it will take a little while  :)
the dude abides

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk