MAGS 2008-12: Real World/Holiday World

Started by Klaus, Mon 01/12/2008 09:38:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportunity to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

You are not allowed to (re)use material already created before this competition, you game must be completely new! An exception goes for sounds and music where you can also use free material that is available to the public.

Please do not just enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created in just some hours or a few days)!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Topic: Real World/Holiday World

This month's guidelines were set by last month's winner Cheerios:

December MAGS rules traditionally involve a Christmas theme. This month your adventure will begin and end in the real world.

However, for the middle part of your adventure, your character will transport into a magical world inspired by Christmas (or any other holiday that you personally celebrate this season). This transportation will occur via a magical object, a magical event, or a meeting with a magical character.

Additionally, your character should have a clearly stated or obvious deepest wish.  Events in the magical holiday world should fulfill his/her deepest wish many times over.  There should be an unbelievably happy ending.

No further restrictions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All games need to be in by December 23rd.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

bicilotti

Radiant

Quote from: Klaus on Mon 01/12/2008 09:38:06
Events in the magical holiday world should fulfill his/her deepest wish many times over.  There should be an unbelievably happy ending.

Is it permissible to treat this clause as sarcastic?

Eggie

Or to have the wish granted by an incredibly sarcastic Claus?

stajp

Is Robonnukah (from Futurama) allowed if main character is a robot? :) 

Dudeman Thingface

QuoteThere should be an unbelievably happy ending.

Can I take this as should, but not have to?

kaputtnik

Oh gee-jolly-jeepers, I just love these guidelines! I won't enter, though, because I hate christmas.
I, object.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Why must people always nitpick rules?  If you don't like them, don't enter.  It's that simple!  8)

Cheerios

Quote from: RadiantIs it permissible to treat this clause as sarcastic?
Certainly.  Go with your creativity. 

Quote from: EggieOr to have the wish granted by an incredibly sarcastic Claus?
Absolutely!

Quote from: StajpIs Robonnukah (from Futurama) allowed if main character is a robot??
If you personally celebrate Robonnukah, then by all means.

Quote from: Dudeman ThingfaceCan I take this as should, but not have to?
There must be an unbelievably happy ending.  However, you can interpret this as creatively as you wish; see Radiant’s question regarding sarcasm.  The use of the word “should” was more an artifact of how I speak, then a loophole in the rules.

Quote from: kaputtnikI won't enter, though, because I hate christmas.
New Years may be a possible alternative holiday for you.

Quote from: ProgZmaxWhy must people always nitpick rules?
Thanks for the back up.

Makeout Patrol

I've got an idea. I think I'll do this one.

Stee

Always wanted to do a christmas game. Shame christmas for me is full of assignment deadlines.
<Babar> do me, do me, do me! :D
<ProgZMax> I got an idea - I reached in my pocket and pulled out my Galen. <timofonic2> Maybe I'm a bit gay, enough for do multitask and being romantical

Dualnames

Great, I've come up with something cool...
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Cheerios

Just a reminder, the December holiday MAGS is due a couple days earlier then usual.  (Dec. 23)  This allows for the games to be enjoyed on Christmas.

Dudeman Thingface

MAGS Entry:

'Santa's Stolen Sleigh'

"Get to work, Detective." I have no more exposition about the game, because, well, the story really explains itself.

Download link: http://files.filefront.com/Santas+Stolen+Sleighzip/;12790217;/fileinfo.html

Screenie:

bicilotti

Can I ask for a small extension of the deadline?

There's something boiling in my pot but I think I won't be able to finish it before tonight (damn work).
Something around 6:00AM of tomorrow could be fine for me, let me know.

Twirlly

I too would appreciate some more time  to somewhat complete my sad little game lol. To add an additional 24 hours to the original deadline would probably do the trick, but I'll take whatever is given. ;D.
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

Klaus

An extension is possible in most cases. The original idea for the "earlier" deadline this month is to have some games to play on December 24th :) There's already one game here (many thanks for the early entry!) so people can play around...

Okay, as there are two requests (and maybe some more games on the way) let's extend the deadline to December 25th - 40 hours from now (see timestamp of this post). Then the voting will begin.

Have a merry Christmas and cu on December 25th! :)

bicilotti

Bic's Christmas tale
(presented in Amstrad CPC Palette)

download link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?jmgmdzzo3gj

Twirlly

A Christmas Wish

Download Here > A Christmas Wish

Well I took on the task of taking care of six of my nieces and nephews this past week(got to love the holidays) and so I have failed once again to complete an entry, but I learned alot about AGS from this experience... mainly that I should have stayed with 2.72 and left 3.1 alone lol... at least until I learn the program better, but I guess I'm posting this to show that I did attempt to do something. The few puzzles I did complete aren't even in this file because I couldn't tie up some loose ends... o well better luck next time.
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

Klaus

Quote from: Twirlly on Thu 25/12/2008 12:15:04
I have failed once again to complete an entry, but I learned alot about AGS from this experience...
Hey Twirlly - don't worry and finish the game when you have time to do so...
Regardless the current state of you game I added it to the list here,
maybe people like it even though it is unfinished yet. Who knows...
It's all possible at Christmas Time, isn't it :)

So for voting please visit the MAGS site or make your choice right here:

Santas Stolen Sleigh by Dudeman Thingface
Bics Christmas Tale by bicilotti
A Christmas Wish by Twirlly

Please vote only once and be sure to have played all games before sending your voice! Good luck to all participants.
Your comments about the games are welcome during the voting period!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk