Sound effects not working

Started by amanta4ray, Thu 18/12/2008 21:29:35

Previous topic - Next topic

amanta4ray

I am having a problem (probably very simple) with my sound effects.  I have already completed the game and am now trouble shooting it.  When I test the game everything sounds perfect, but then when I compile it into an exe, the sounds go so low that you can barely hear them.  The music seems to stay fine, just the sound effects.

I have tried setting MasterDigital Volume to its highest and setting the channels individually - neither make a differance.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what can be causing this?

BTW - I use both MP3 and wav extensions for my sound effects.

Thanks....

Gilbert

Do you mean the sound levels are okay when you test the game in the editor?
This is odd, as the behaviour of the game should be identical when you compile it into an executable.

amanta4ray

Exactly!!!  I even tried increasing the volume on the sound effect itself and that didn't help either.   
  What's also kind of confusing is why only the sound effects change and not the music too.

Khris

Are you using midi music?
It sounds like running the game from the editor overrides a low volume wav setting or something.

Ghost

Have you checked your system's volume? I never heard anything like your situation, but maybe changing them can get it right?

edit: Yes, sort of like what Khris said.

amanta4ray

The music is just like the sound effects, a mixture of mp3 and wav files. 

For my computer, I have the volume turned up to max.  All the other settings are fine.

Trent R

Ummm... since you've completed the game, I won't say to post it up here. But ask your betatesters* if they have the same problem on they're computers.

~Trent
*If you're not betatesting your game, you should. Most definitely.
To give back to the AGS community, I can get you free, full versions of commercial software. Recently, Paint Shop Pro X, and eXPert PDF Pro 6. Please PM me for details.

Current Project: The Wanderer
On Hold: Hero of the Rune

amanta4ray

I'm not exactly sure what beta testing is, but I am going through the game myself step by step.

I tried Trent's suggestion and only put the compiled version on another computer.  It seems to be fine.  So, whatever the problem is, its unique to this computer alone.  But as long as others will be able to hear the sound effects, I'm happy.

Thanks to everyone who has responded and tried to help with this.  I appreciate all the support!!! :)

Khris

Quote from: amanta4ray on Fri 19/12/2008 14:52:47but I am going through the game myself step by step.
That's called alpha test.

Beta test means that a select group of people get to play the game's alpha version without any hints or pointers, in order to learn what players without a clue have to say. It's usually a phase in which many minor and sometimes major errors are found, so every game should go through that stage before its release.

amanta4ray

Thanks for the info.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk