A brief history of Reality on the Norm

Started by DeviantGent, Thu 18/12/2008 23:05:43

Previous topic - Next topic

DeviantGent

The Deviant Gent
His Tumblr - His Twitter

Layabout

Hey, That's a pretty good find. I didn't even realise Dave did that. Dave did talk briefly about reality on the norm in the Bytejacker episode he appeared in along side Ivy and Grundy, but not to the depths that he did here.

It's a shame the thread that created RotN was never archived. It would be great to look back at, see the people who really created RotN.
I am Jean-Pierre.

MrColossal

"see the people who really created RotN."

Says the man who helped create RotN!

...man I wish I completed Time Out...
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Layabout

Finish Time Out! And maybe then I'll finish my Jesus Ron game.
I am Jean-Pierre.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

And then maybe Grundislav and I will work on our ultimate Chef collaboration game!

Dave Gilbert

Hah.  Man, I was so unprepared for that speech.  I was originally going to talk about Emerald City Confidential, but then the publisher decided to delay the announcement so I had to throw together a completely new presentation about 2 hours before I spoke. 

There was a lot more I could have talked about, but the presentation format was limited to 20 slides and 20 seconds per slide.  It's called "Pecha Kucha" and it's a type of presentation that's getting kinda popular.

Nostradamus

That was so interesting, nostalgic and heart warming for someone who has been here from the start and lived through the RON craze. Pity it's almost dead.
It was awesome to see how interested the crowd was and how they laughed hard when they saw some of the... let's call them... unique... RON characters.
Say Dave, who were the crowd and where was the lecture?

Dave Gilbert

The event was called Pecha Kucha, and was sponsored by the New York City chapter of the IGDA (international game developers association).  So the event was in NYC, and the crowd was made up of various industry professionals, students, and so on.

Nostradamus

DeviantGent

The Deviant Gent
His Tumblr - His Twitter

Trihan

I might take Dave's advice and contribute something to RON for my first AGS game.

Stupot

Quote from: Trihan on Mon 22/12/2008 16:40:49
I might take Dave's advice and contribute something to RON for my first AGS game.

I've often considered this, too... but it means playing the games to know what I'm talking about.  And as Dave said in the presentation, there are so many now that I just wouldn't know where to start (the first person who says 'at the beginning' is gonna get a slap ;D ).

Trihan

Start at the end and work your way backwards. It'll be like an AGS version of Memento!

DeviantGent

I present some choice meaty chunks:

Lunchtime of the Damned - First game in the series. Obviously dates the most in terms of graphics, but sets the tone to come. A remake is being considered, and some awesome backgrounds have been made avaliable. Just waiting for someone to pick up the ball and do something with them.

The Postman only dies Once - The first Max Griff game, and Dave Gilbert's second.

Cabbages and Kings - Along with Kittens and Cacti and Apocalypse Meow, these make up the Night of the Kittens series. A possessed army of kittens running amok? Yes please.

The First Stitch - First part of Dylan Downing's Tapestry series (continued in The Unravelling and Rend). More serious in tone that the others, but solid games that have benefitted from being recompiled with the new resources.

The Chef - The game featured on the Bytejacker segment. Play it purely for the win that is Guido. NUDISTS OF TEH WORLD UNITE.

Play those and you'll have a pretty good idea what sort of excellence can be done with RON.
The Deviant Gent
His Tumblr - His Twitter

Ionias

Quote from: MrColossal on Fri 19/12/2008 03:31:12
...man I wish I completed Time Out...

… and I wish I never made ROTN 2 ½ Fowl Play, haha.

Radiant

Quote from: Stupot on Mon 22/12/2008 16:49:03
I've often considered this, too... but it means playing the games to know what I'm talking about.
True enough, but you can probably get by if you play half a dozen of them and use the RON-O-Pedia for the rest.

Layabout

Quote from: DC on Mon 22/12/2008 18:28:36
I present some choice meaty chunks:

Lunchtime of the Damned - First game in the series. Obviously dates the most in terms of graphics, but sets the tone to come. A remake is being considered, and some awesome backgrounds have been made avaliable. Just waiting for someone to pick up the ball and do something with them.

The Postman only dies Once - The first Max Griff game, and Dave Gilbert's second.

Cabbages and Kings - Along with Kittens and Cacti and Apocalypse Meow, these make up the Night of the Kittens series. A possessed army of kittens running amok? Yes please.

The First Stitch - First part of Dylan Downing's Tapestry series (continued in The Unravelling and Rend). More serious in tone that the others, but solid games that have benefitted from being recompiled with the new resources.

The Chef - The game featured on the Bytejacker segment. Play it purely for the win that is Guido. NUDISTS OF TEH WORLD UNITE.

Play those and you'll have a pretty good idea what sort of excellence can be done with RON.

You forgot to mention the I Spy's

I Spy http://ron.the-underdogs.info/downloads/games/ispyrel3.zip

I Spy 2 http://ron.the-underdogs.info/downloads/games/ispyii.zip

III Spy http://ron.the-underdogs.info/downloads/games/IIISpy.zip

Dead man's political party is a great game as well. http://ron.the-underdogs.info/downloads/games/DMPP.zip

And please. No more games with Davy Jones as the main character. He can be so pathetic angsty emo like.
I am Jean-Pierre.

Stupot

I just played Lunchtime and Postman.  Lunchtime was pretty good and I was really enjoying Postman but I got trapped in the shop...

Spoiler

Every time I send the clerk out of the room to look for a board game it won't let me pick up the balloon or the drain cleaning fluid without the clerk coming back out and catching me... it says something like 'that trick won't work again, must find another method'... but infact I haven't done the trick the first time yet, but it thinks I have... and it won't let me leave the shop saying 'I should have a look about in his absence', thinking that the clerk is still out back, but infact he is back behind the counter still...
[close]

I'm going to try a few more now though...

Renegade Implementor

There are people who know a lot about the RoN universe (perhaps more than they'd like  :)) that could answer questions regarding characters or the in-game history (such as it is).

Stupot- if you're still having trouble with Postman, you can find a walkthrough on this page.

QuoteAnd please. No more games with Davy Jones as the main character. He can be so pathetic angsty emo like.

Angsty emo-like?  I've never found the character to exhibit those traits.  Of course, given the unlimited freedom, someone could make a game where Griff runs around in a giant bear costume and ends up sitting on shelves in New York.

Stupot

Quote from: Renegade Implementor on Tue 23/12/2008 02:03:32
Stupot- if you're still having trouble with Postman, you can find a walkthrough on this page.

Yeh, I tried using it, but I'm literally stuck... it's a bug.  I can't leave the shop or get the items I need because I must have done things in the wrong order.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk