Ask something - We can help.

Started by Stupot, Fri 19/12/2008 20:06:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: NickyNyce on Mon 17/03/2014 16:55:50
Even when it's on fire, we call it a torch.
It's a torch, yes, but when it's lit it's also a lit torch.

Ali

But in the UK a torch is a flashlight! See also bickering torch.

NickyNyce

Quote from: Arj0n on Mon 17/03/2014 17:24:58
As for torch and flame: you use a torch to light a flame.

Hmmm...very strange. Over here, we use a flame to light a torch.

I would imagine that a torch is called a torch, whether it's lit or not. Same as if a lighter is lit or not. If I was holding a lighter that wasn't lit, I don't think anyone would say that I'm holding an unlit lighter. I imagine everyone would say I'm holding a lighter, whether it's lit or not.

Now in a game, if you have an unlit torch that needs to be lit or can be lit, I can see calling it an unlit torch to give the player an understanding that it needs to be lit.

I can see calling it a burning torch too, if it was lit.

Radiant

TomatoesInTheHead

What sound does the "English" elephant make? Like "bah", "moo" or "meow", what's the onomatopetic expression for this?

bicilotti

Quote from: TomatoesInTheHead on Mon 17/03/2014 18:34:34
What sound does the "English" elephant make? Like "bah", "moo" or "meow", what's the onomatopetic expression for this?

I found baraag, but I must admit it's the first time I have seen it used.

Babar

Quote from: bicilotti on Mon 17/03/2014 20:09:46
I found baraag, but I must admit it's the first time I have seen it used.
I don't think "baraag" is used for elephant noises in english at all. Quite a few of those from your link seem quite wrong as well: Baa for sheep but Naa for a goat? Clang for a crane and grumph for a camel?

I don't know what the onomatopoeic expression for the noise an elephant makes would be, and I suspect there isn't one, but if I am not mistaken, an elephant trumpets?
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Stupot

Nelly the Elephant packed her trunk and said goodbye to the circus.
Off she went with a trumpety trump,
trump, trump, trump.

qptain Nemo

Radiant, is this the Antimoderator Man?

Snarky

The answer's right here, people:

Dog goes "woof"
Cat goes "meow"
Bird goes "tweet"
And mouse goes "squeak"
Cow goes "moo"
Frog goes "croak"
And the elephant goes "toot"
Ducks say "quack"
And fish go "blub"
And the seal goes "ow ow ow"

(Disclaimer: Ylvis may not be a reliable source.)

Disco

Quote from: Snarky on Mon 17/03/2014 21:58:54
And the seal goes "ow ow ow"

Is that a seal being beaten? :O

NickyNyce

I'm hoping someone can help me. I downloaded GIMP and I guess some other garbage got downloaded with it. Yahoo toolbar and I think something else. The thing that drives me crazy, I unclicked those extra things and didn't want them, but they were added to my computer anyway. My computer started running all crazy, so I deleted the yahoo toolbar and GIMP..But now..I'm having an issue with AGS. When I go to games, I get this page instead of the normal one. Anyone know why, or how to fix this?

abstauber

Khris

The obvious problem is that you're using IE. We have almost gotten rid of IE8 by now, using a newer version of the world's worst browser is not gonna help.

As for your problem, not just the stylesheet but also the images are broken. Can you see them like this:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/includes/index.css
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/images/bannerNew.png

If you can, it looks like something is messing with your http requests directly.

Try to isolate the issue by testing it in another browser. If it works in Chrome or Firefox, consider the problem solved and don't look back.

NickyNyce

Thank you so much for the reply guys. I used system restore and everything seems to be working OK right now. That was scary.

The first link you posted just shows a bunch of text..err..code. The second shows the banner picture. But everything seems in order right now, all the pages show properly now. I will certainly look to switch to another browser as soon as possible.

Thanks again for the help and understanding of my issues.

Nikolas

I have a lovely 3 minute piano work, and I'd like to make an animation short based on a "script" of mine.

Do you guys have any idea how much it would cost me something like this? I know that it's a very vague question, but...

Cassiebsg

I've got a little "weird" problem, that I can't seem to locate the solution.

All images that are posted from i.imgur.com do not show up on my browser... I've tried to check if they were blocked in any of my filters, but I can't seem to find anything that indicates them as being blocked.
Maybe someone has had the same problem and knows the solution?

I'm using Firefox 28.0 with the following add-ons: Bitdefender, Flashblock, NoScript Self-Destructin Cookies and Stop AutoPlay.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

selmiak

sometimes imgur has serverproblems. Just wait a few hours or a day and it should work out.

Cassiebsg

Quote from: selmiak on Tue 22/04/2014 15:59:38
sometimes imgur has serverproblems. Just wait a few hours or a day and it should work out.

It has never worked since I joined this forum 1st March this year.
I only noticed it cause you guys post a lot of pics on imgur...

Currently I use the "quote" option, then copy/paste the link(s) on my browser so I can see the picture(s)... but it's still annoying to do it that way. :)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

selmiak

have you tried another browser? If it works there then fiddle around with the settings of your favourite browser. If it doesn't work with another browser your internet it broken ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk