Ask something - We can help.

Started by Stupot, Fri 19/12/2008 20:06:21

Previous topic - Next topic

cat

I think Dualnames has a huge collection of modules.

RetroJay

Hi Cat.

Thanks for that.
I have PM'd Dualnames to see if he can help.

Yours.
Jay.

RetroJay

Hi Cat.

Just thought that I would let you know.
Dualnames was able to help.;-D

All I've got to do, now, is get it to work.;)

Thanks for your help.

Yours.
Jay.

cat

Snarky

I'm playing around with Wordpress, and I'm looking for a plugin that provides a "book reader" widget, something along the lines of the Amazon preview popup. In other words, a gallery viewer that displays a series of images (pages) one at a time (with no auto-change), and allows visitors to flip from page to page (or go directly to a particular page). It should be possible to browse in-page (not as a popup), or expand the viewer to full-window or full-screen. Options for scaling, for viewing two pages side-by-side, animating page flips, etc., would be nice.

I've only found ones that are meant for animating image galleries, not something suitable for a reading experience. If anyone could help, I'd appreciate it. (I might even shell out for a commercial plugin if it's good and not too outrageously priced.)

Nikolas

I will be having a booth in the Barbican for the Music Education Expo, in March 12th and 13th. It's rather pricey (around 1000 quid), plus all the tickets, shipping, paying people to be there, etc. Ok.

But I need Internet, in order to have some kind of credit card through paypal payment system.

And if I go the normal way the Internet for two bloody days is 250 GBP! Yes 250!!!!

I find this amazingly expensive, or myself dead cheap, but I really am not sure I can afford that with a happy heart.

So,

If I get some mobile internet, through a 4G or something like that, will it work in Barbican, or will they have barred such services, so I'll be stuck without the Internet? You know some kind of extra device that generates a 4G plus wifi signal to catch with your laptop and use that. It will definitely be cheaper... I can even buy one from Greece from Vodafone, for example and get it working in Vodafone UK, as far as I know.

But will it work? Any ideas?

EDIT: something like this, for example: http://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/dongles-and-mobile-wi-fi/index.htm

I'd guess that they will have barred such services inside the building, since they will want to sell Internet connection, but COME ON!!! 250 quid?!?!?

bicilotti

Quote from: Nikolas on Thu 15/01/2015 05:02:41
I'd guess that they will have barred such services inside the building, since they will want to sell Internet connection, but COME ON!!! 250 quid?!?!?

Barring 3G seems not doable, but quite unfortunately there is a massive deterioration of signal inside buildings (plus the amount of folks there trying to connect to 3g...).
If you need a connection to have a payment system, it seems a risky idea to me to rely on 3g.

Nikolas

It's 4G according to Vodafone and it appears that there is a strong signal there... :-.

But you're right. It's quite risky. On the other hand 250 is simply too much at this point! :( I'm quite torn.

Thanks though...

bicilotti

Quote from: Nikolas on Thu 15/01/2015 05:21:01
It's 4G according to Vodafone and it appears that there is a strong signal there... :-.

But you're right. It's quite risky. On the other hand 250 is simply too much at this point! :( I'm quite torn.

Thanks though...

It might be pedantic, but let's go through this in an analytical fashion:

EP = expected revenues on those 2 days (if you have a reliable connection)
PC = pricey connection costs (250)
GC = 4G connection costs
PF = probablility that 4G will fail (our 'x')

scenario 1 (shell 250 quids): EP - 250
        scenario 2 (rely on 4g):      (1 - PF) *  EP - GC

break even: EP - 250 = EP - PF*EP - GC
                    PF*EP = 250 - GC
                    PF = (250 - GC) / EP

Your task is to estimate quantities on the right hand side of the equation.
So, as an example, if you think you can make 2000£ in these 2 days and the 4G connection will cost 50£, break-even PF is 10% (which in turn means: if you think there is at least a 10% probability of things going banana with 4G, you should pick the safer option).

Nikolas

LOL

It's a bit more complex than that since I have to calculate shipping costs of the items to sell. I live in Greece, so that's a costly option! ;D. Which means that I simply can't go around London with all my scores (Which count to 10s of thousands at this moment). Sadly I'm not in London anymore, in which case things would've been simpler.

But still thanks and I see what you mean, I really do!

Nikolas

Problem solved, just in case someone else is interested... I asked a friend who was there last time and she, indeed, tried the dongle, only to get it blocked in like 5 minutes.

So the only solution is the 250 quid... :-/

Time to dig deeper in my pockets!

Queen Kara

I play a lot of "casual" games as well as what might be considered non-casual type games. Depending on the creator , they are usually beautiful and fun - ( well if you love puzzles ) - games. I really love the art and stories in such games but I get annoyed and frustrated easily with puzzles , thankfully there's almost always an "easy" mode for players like me who just want to see what happens next and hints can be recharged quickly in some games. I love games with hints and guides you can access within the game itself. A lot of these games have female protagonist , another reason for my love of them.

I disagree there's no "pixel hunting" involved , in fact it is the core of HOGS , FROGS , ect. ( hidden object , fragmented whatever object scenes , hidden object scenes , ect. )

bigfishgames and other places are where you can find most, if not all ,  of these kind of games.

The downside is sometimes there may be a problem with a game and that problem never gets fixed. But if you have the latest computer , updated drives , latest software , ect. most games should run fine on your machine. It's just really only a small handful thus far that I've had any serious problems with and unfortunately two of the coolest games in my opinion have some major issues - The ending of a certain vampire game ( love is a cure or something like that , I will find and post proper title later ... ) and the Dorian Gray game.

I will update my post and say more about such things here later...

As for my own situation , I once found a "blog" of online generators - ( fantasy related ) - the logo is a beetle / bug looking thing and the site or blog name is some weird thing I can never remember , despite it being a really unique name. It starts with an A. I'm trying my own google searching of it but so far no luck. Does somebody have any idea what I'm talking about? One of the generators there is a list of "useless" items.
Ugh, I wish they had given it a better and easier to remember name. *crying because she's not having any luck finding it*
Klaatu Verata Niktu?

Nikolas

So, yet another semi--silly question from me.

As I said, I'm coming to London in a month for the Music Education Expo. And I'm invited in an awards ceremony, which is a black tie.

I do NOT have a black tie formal wear. I have a great very dark grey suit, with a brilliant shirt and tie, but that's not the formal take on what a "black tie" is, right?

My problem is that I'm quite fat now and not sure I'll be able to find a place to rent a black tie wear, plus I am very limited with time (and money)... So my question.

Would it be out of the question to wear something classy (the suit I mentioned) in a black tie evening? Or will I be seen like a total jackass?

MiteWiseacreLives!

I believe that would be Formal Wear that you hope to wear.
But.. this is a music expo awards ceremony, full of artists I would presume, therefor wear whatever you want many others will do so as well.
You will look just non-conformist enough not to be a jack-ass, IMHO.

cat

Are you going to receive an award or are you just there as a guest? If you are just a guest, you might get away with a black(!) suit. But if the invitation says explicitly "black tie" you will have to wear a tuxedo.

Are there any pictures of last years ceremony? This might give you a good idea of what to wear.

Edit: take a look here http://www.musiceducationexpo.co.uk/gallery/music-teacher-awards-2014-photos/
While many people wear a tux, you will probably get away with your suit if it is very dark gray.

The Morning Tree

Hi.  This might seem like a ridiculous question which I should have found in le manual, but unfortunately, I'm not really sure about where to look.

So, the dealio is...

In terms of making a room, how big should the canvas be, generally?

And same with a standard sprite?

I just want a general idea of sizes to work with.

Thanks!

Nikolas

Perhaps you guys know... (before I go about asking the companies and such)...

You know the game "Cave Story" ( http://www.cavestory.org/ )

The game was developed by Daisuke "Pixel" Amaya ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daisuke_Amaya ), but is was later developed for wii, and steam by Nicalis.

Who holds the (copy)rights for the music? Is Pixel a part of Nicalis? Should I contact him, before contacting Nicalis? Any ideas?

Thanks ^_^

Stupot

SNES/Super Famicom woes.

My girlfriend and I have just brought a top-of-the-line, new-fangled SNES-Box, but can't get it to work. I'm plugging the multi-out AV cables into their respective red, white and yellow slots on the TV, and choosing the correct input mode on the TV (and to make sure, I've tried it with all the other modes too) but nothing is showing. I've tried it on two TVs, both those relatively modern small LCD flat screen types, but no luck. Is there an extra step we need to do, maybe in the TV settings, or do we need a different kind of cable or a new older TV?

(And yes, the SNES is plugged in and turned on.)

Cheers.

Wyz

Hmmmm, so you don't have sound either? That should at least work. You can even try plugging the RCA (tulip) plugs in a sound system; if it doesn't do anything there probably is something wrong with the box.
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Stupot

Quote from: Wyz on Sat 15/08/2015 13:59:36
Hmmmm, so you don't have sound either? That should at least work. You can even try plugging the RCA (tulip) plugs in a sound system; if it doesn't do anything there probably is something wrong with the box.
yeah, no sound either. You're the 2nd person to mention 'the box'. The first guy who said it I assumed meant 'the TV' but you're obviously talking about a different box. Perhaps this magic box is what ai am missing to make it work?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk