Mittens 2018 will be in Boston this September. There are three spaces left, so check out the thread for details!

Author Topic: Ask something - We can help.  (Read 158985 times)

Re: Ask something - We can help.
« Reply #1640 on: 29 Dec 2017, 02:39 »
Hi Kweepa. "Ags3d.dll", according to an error screen that appears when I open the "game". Even worse, I can only open it with AGS 2.7. Maybe you can direct me to a different download link, which works?

EDIT: Looking around, I found it inside the compiled folder. Maybe it goes somewhere else? Still, I'd like to use it with modern AGS. BTW, the demo game is great. I wish I can make it work.
« Last Edit: 29 Dec 2017, 02:54 by Egmundo Huevoz »

Kweepa

• Mutated Guano Deviser
    • Best Innovation Award Winner 2009, for his modules and plugins
    •  
    • Kweepa worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #1641 on: 29 Dec 2017, 06:40 »
Unfortunately I can't find a version that works with 3.x, although I thought I updated it at one point.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Crimson Wizard

• AGS Project Tracker Admins
    • Best Innovation Award Winner 2013, for spearheading the AGS 3.3.0 project
    •  
    • Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
    •  
    • Crimson Wizard worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
      Crimson Wizard worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
« Reply #1642 on: 29 Dec 2017, 14:53 »
EDIT: Looking around, I found it inside the compiled folder. Maybe it goes somewhere else? Still, I'd like to use it with modern AGS. BTW, the demo game is great. I wish I can make it work.

In AGS 3.4.0 and later it needs to go to Compiled/Windows, where game's exe file is built. Does this mean that plugins are not copied correctly with the latest versions of AGS?

Hmm, wait, how do you use the plugin at all? Did you copy it to the AGS Editor's folder first before building the game?
« Last Edit: 29 Dec 2017, 14:55 by Crimson Wizard »

« Reply #1643 on: 01 Jan 2018, 15:22 »
when I use the exit function in c
exit();
the compiler reports an error
too few parameters for exit to function but when I use
exit(0);
it works fine
please someone explain

arj0n

• Mittens Vassal
  • art consists in drawing a line somewhere
    • arj0n worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #1644 on: 01 Jan 2018, 15:53 »
exit(0): successful program termination
exit(1): (usually) unsuccessful termination

cat

• Mittens Baronet
  • AGS Baker
  • Can you write alcohol in Japanese?
    • cat worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
      cat worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
« Reply #1645 on: 01 Jan 2018, 18:06 »
I installed BASS Midi driver and Arachno sf. In my MIDI tool I can now select it and listen to the MIDI. The sound of one of the rather obscure instruments used sounds terrible now, but ok, at least I can run it.

However, I cannot get MIDI to run for AGS games. I don't get the error message anymore, but I also don't have audio (mp3 sfx work fine).
VLC and Windows Media Player also cannot run it.
The weirdest thing so far is: Suddenly Irfan View can play it, but it sounds like the original Windows Midi, not the Arachno. Did Irfan View find the windows synth? I'm about to give up and reinstall windows...

Crimson Wizard

• AGS Project Tracker Admins
    • Best Innovation Award Winner 2013, for spearheading the AGS 3.3.0 project
    •  
    •  
    • Crimson Wizard worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
      Crimson Wizard worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
« Reply #1646 on: 01 Jan 2018, 18:49 »
when I use the exit function in c
exit();
the compiler reports an error
too few parameters for exit to function but when I use
exit(0);
it works fine
please someone explain

amit14, frankly, this is a kind of question that is normally answered by reading a book.

Each function has a number of parameters that it may require. Exit() function has 1 parameter. If you don't pass one in, it won't work.
If you need to know information on particular function, what they do, what their parameters mean, there are tonns of documentation about C and C++ library functions online. For example this: http://en.cppreference.com/w/c/program/exit

Also, I meant to mention this earlier, although this is only my opinion, but if you are just beginning to study programming, C and C++ are not the languages I'd recommend to start with. They are far not the easiest ones and contain features that are found nowhere in many other modern languages, such as direct operations on computer memory for example, that may be quite confusing (and even dangerous in some ways).
Unless you have a good reason to learn C in particular, I'd recommend to start with something like C#, Python or Javascript instead.
« Last Edit: 01 Jan 2018, 22:25 by Crimson Wizard »

arj0n

• Mittens Vassal
  • art consists in drawing a line somewhere
    • arj0n worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #1647 on: 01 Jan 2018, 19:10 »
I installed BASS Midi driver and Arachno sf. In my MIDI tool I can now select it and listen to the MIDI. The sound of one of the rather obscure instruments used sounds terrible now, but ok, at least I can run it.

However, I cannot get MIDI to run for AGS games. I don't get the error message anymore, but I also don't have audio (mp3 sfx work fine).
VLC and Windows Media Player also cannot run it.
The weirdest thing so far is: Suddenly Irfan View can play it, but it sounds like the original Windows Midi, not the Arachno. Did Irfan View find the windows synth? I'm about to give up and reinstall windows...

OK, I noticed my midi wasn't working either anymore...
Somehow I couldn't get BASS Midi driver to work again correctly, so uninstalled that and went for VirtualMIDISynth.
So, after loading the soundfont (Arachno) in the VirtualMIDISynth's tab Soundfonts, MIDI was working again.
Also: MIDI runs fine again for AGS games.

« Reply #1648 on: 05 Jan 2018, 14:30 »
link=topic=36356.msg636578439#msg636578439 date=1514820178]
amit14, frankly, this is a kind of question that is normally answered by reading a book.

Also, I meant to mention this earlier, although this is only my opinion, but if you are just beginning to study programming, C and C++ are not the languages I'd recommend to start with. They are far not the easiest ones and contain features that are found nowhere in many other modern languages, such as direct operations on computer memory for example, that may be quite confusing (and even dangerous in some ways).
Unless you have a good reason to learn C in particular, I'd recommend to start with something like C#, Python or Javascript instead.
actually i have c language in my next semester from next month that's why i thought to start with it

« Reply #1649 on: 06 Jan 2018, 15:41 »
Question. I may go to NYC in May. Can someone suggest me a good hotel? My definition of good is a nice bed for me and my girlfriend, has a bathroom in the room, has wifi and either has breakfast or is near a bakery or coffee shop that offers breakfast.

I am going for leisure, will visit museums, and other stuff.

cat

• Mittens Baronet
  • AGS Baker
  • Can you write alcohol in Japanese?
    • cat worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
      cat worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
« Reply #1650 on: 26 Jan 2018, 18:32 »
OK, I noticed my midi wasn't working either anymore...
Somehow I couldn't get BASS Midi driver to work again correctly, so uninstalled that and went for VirtualMIDISynth.
So, after loading the soundfont (Arachno) in the VirtualMIDISynth's tab Soundfonts, MIDI was working again.
Also: MIDI runs fine again for AGS games.
I tried that, didn't work either.

HOWEVER, Windows installed a big update today and now the native Windows MIDI is working again :-D

« Reply #1651 on: 25 Feb 2018, 18:21 »
Question.

I love AGS and would like to somehow thank the creator for making programming accessible even to people with no background in coding. Is there some kind of donation page where I could contribute?

« Reply #1652 on: 24 Mar 2018, 13:49 »
Hello, anybody knows an encrypted chat application that runs independently on windows or linux AND android? I use solely my desktop for chat and my friend chats only via android phone. I found Wickerme and Ring but he couldn't install Wickerme (probably because his android version is lower than required) and Ring just doesn't seem to work.
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

selmiak

• ǝsıɔɹǝxǝ ʞɔǝu puɐ uıɐɹq
    • I can help with play testing
    •  
    • I can help with proof reading
    •  
    • I can help with translating
    •  
    • I can help with web design
    •  
    • selmiak worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #1653 on: 24 Mar 2018, 16:13 »
maybe use some jabber client?!

Khris

•  
    • I can help with play testing
    •  
    • I can help with scripting
    •  
    • I can help with translating
    •  
    • Khris worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #1654 on: 26 Mar 2018, 21:17 »
What about Signal? https://signal.org/download/