Ask something - We can help.

Started by Stupot, Fri 19/12/2008 20:06:21

Previous topic - Next topic

InCreator

Quote from: Abisso on Thu 01/10/2009 14:15:22
P.S. Objects actually happen to freeze water even as we speak: never noticed how the ice is usually found over car's windows, even when puddles aren't frozen?

I don't think it's car glass that froze water here: any water of same little size as vapor drops on glass would be frozen also. Freezing comes from the fact that water drops are small enough to quickly lose enough heat and freeze. At basic level, it's air that's cold, not glass or water. And air that cools things off.

Puddles simply are larger (deeper) and therefore warmer. If same temperature stays long enough, puddles freeze anyway. There's simply more water to cool so it takes more time.

It's like russian tradition - to pour tea from cup to a the little dish and drink it from dish -- it loses temperature alot faster thus isn't too hot to drink. Two reasons here -- liquid over larger area = more exposed to air which steals temperature, and less liquid at once - cools faster.

But sure, things cool water. A big cold spoon into a teacup makes it cool much quicker.

Abisso

@Who?
QuoteI don't think it's car glass that froze water here:

Well, actually each material has a different conductivity. And that determines how good it is to exchange heat as well.

Calin Leafshade explains this pretty well, and I agree:

QuoteActually, all objects sitting long enough become 'room temperature', and the reason metal or tiles feel cold to the touch is because they are good conductors. The sensation of the coldness is due to a large amount of energy from your hand being transferred to the other object quickly (so we do not so much feel the 'coldness' but we feel 'negative' heat). This is because the human body is not good at quantifying things, just good at comparing them. e.g. If you put your left hand in cold water, and your right hand in hot water, then put them both in a bowl of warm water, your right hand will feel cold, and your left had will feel hot. Or you can only smell something in a room for a few seconds until your brain accepts this as the 'norm' and stops processing it.

So a metal object which has been in a room for a long time is not still cold, it just heats up really quickly.
Welcome back to the age of the great guilds.

Stupot

Hey guys... wonder if anyone can help me.
I bought my mates iPod off him a few weeks ago and have only just got round to trying to play with it.
Trouble is... when I plug it into the USB port, my laptop doesn't seem to want to recognize it.
It will acknowledge that I have put the device in there, and then it tells me it needs to install a device driver... which it says is a success... but after that it doesn't seem to register on my Computer, so I can't do anything with it.

I've tried it in all the USB ports, coz I know my webcam wont work in all of them, but to no avail...

Any ideas?

Cheers.

P.S. My computer refers to it as an 'Unidentified Device'... How to I get it 'identified'?

Calin Leafshade

You need to install iTunes first. The Ipod service is required to recognise the ipod

Stupot

I've got iTunes... always have... just never had an iPod to go with it... I'm pretty sure its something to do with drivers... most of my problems arenormally to do with drivers.

Abisso

I'm pretty sure you already have, but take a look here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1496

Maybe you've got an incompatible Itunes version.
Welcome back to the age of the great guilds.

Calin Leafshade

As far as im aware the Ipod doesn't *need* any drivers. It's essentially just a portable hard drive and so falls under the general spec.

However to make it work as an ipod it requires the Ipod Service to be all running and working.

Ryan Timothy B

QUESTION and story: I walked into the office at my work and gave the secretary the peace sign as I approached her desk (I'm always bugging her :P).  She told me she believes that in England you'll get your face punched in if you have your hand turned to show your knuckles/palm while giving the peace sign, but with your hand turned around is the correct way.

Is this true?  Is this really an insult in England (which she mentioned she believed it was England, or some country in the vicinity).

NsMn

You'll have to keep your fingers closed for this, as far as I know.

IndieBoy

It's pretty much like showing the middle finger at someone. Basically it is a backwards peace sign.
Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

arj0n

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Wed 14/10/2009 16:45:59
QUESTION and story: I walked into the office at my work and gave the secretary the peace sign as I approached her desk (I'm always bugging her :P).  She told me she believes that in England you'll get your face punched in if you have your hand turned to show your knuckles/palm while giving the peace sign, but with your hand turned around is the correct way.

Is this true?  Is this really an insult in England (which she mentioned she believed it was England, or some country in the vicinity).
Yep, that's true.

Ryan Timothy B

Wow.  I better make a mental note to always show the back of my hand for a peace sign.
Sometimes I go either way, knuckles in or out. :P  Not anymore.. lol

Woah. Now I'm confused.  According to SteveMcCrea and the Wiki link that Monkey posted, showing the back of the hand is the wrong way to give a peace sign.

QuoteIn the UK, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand, the V sign (given with back of the hand towards the recipient) serves a similar purpose, although "the finger" is often used. The characters of the British sitcom Are You Being Served? often use the V sign when agitated with each other. This gesture is also used to a lesser extent in Canada.

Nikolas

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Wed 14/10/2009 16:45:59
Completely and utterly true! It basically means "fuck off".

The explanation to this goes quite a few years ago, in some town in England where (at least from what I've heard) they had tons of minners. The minners had accidents, as it usually happens, but in that particular area and mines they would lose the 2nd digit. So when minners would enter into a pub, and they were not wanted they would get the sign of both fingers (the inverted peace sign) and they would know they were not welcomed, since they didn't have the 2nd finger, to do the same.

alternatives offer archers in the place of miners and those who were losers lost the 2nd finger, so they wouldnt' be able to use the bow again (and they were told to "fuck off" in the pub, or elsewhere...)

monkey0506

This can actually be seen in movies like Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz (at least one of the two has it anyway) and is accompanied (in the movie) with a comical raspberry.

IIRC Dave Gilbert made a comment on this when he gave the "reverse" peace sign during a Mittens Photo Shoot and later found out he was giving everyone the British equivalent of flipping the bird. :D

Kweepa

Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Ryan Timothy B

Thanks Steve and Monkey.  You just saved me from a confusion that never got spotted, probably due to my confusing wording.
I would have been making an incorrect mental note to be showing a peace sign the wrong way.

Scarab

Quote from: Nikolas on Wed 14/10/2009 18:00:25
alternatives offer archers in the place of miners and those who were losers lost the 2nd finger, so they wouldnt' be able to use the bow again (and they were told to "fuck off" in the pub, or elsewhere...)

I always thought that it was because during the wars between medieval England and France, the longbow was the most powerful weapon in the British arsenal (it was too expensive and difficult to employ for the French to use). As it took such a mighty toll on the French soldiers, the French generals decided to put out a bounty on the index and middle finger of the English soldiers. It then became a taunt of the Brits to the French... a bit of a "come and get 'em", and then it just evolved over time to become the British eqivalent of the middle finger that exists today.

arj0n

@Timothy:
V-sign nowaday usage :

Back of the hand facing the signer:

• square Two â€" nonverbal communication of quantity
  • square  Victory â€" in a setting of wartime or competition. It was first popularized by Winston Churchill, and sometimes is made using both hands, or upraised arms as President Eisenhower, and in imitation of him Richard Nixon, used to do.
  • square  Peace or Friend â€" used around the world by peace and counter-culture groups
  • square  Bunny ears or devil horns â€" used behind the head of a subject of a photograph.
Palm facing the signer:

• square  Two â€" indicating quantity although more common with palm turned around.
  • square  Insulting â€" largely restricted to the United Kingdom, South Africa, New Zealand, and Australia.
  • square  Peace â€" in the United States and Canada without respect to the direction.
Used with other movement:

• square  Air quotes â€" flexing fingers, palm out, both hands.
  • square  The letter V, in American Sign Language â€" used when spelling. This handshape is also used in a number of signs, including "to see/look" done in a similar manner to the military use. When each finger is pointed at the signer's eyes then turned and point one finger at someone it means "I am watching you."
@Scarab
Your right:
The legend [which can be true] of the V-sign:
The story claims that the French claimed that they would cut off the arrow-shooting fingers of all the English and Welsh longbowmen after they had won the battle at Agincourt. But the longbowmen came out victorious and showed off their two fingers, still intact [taunt]...

V

Stupot

I love how in Japan they automatically pull a V-sign whenever a camera is pointed at them... especially the girls. The Koreans do too. However, having the palm facing the signer or the recipient seems to be largely interchangeable (correct me if I'm wrong).

I have many photos of my lovely Korean friend, who wouldn't hurt a fly, seemingly giving me the two-fingered salute.  Or maybe she just hates me:-(

Wesray

Jep, Chinese girls seem to love doing the V-sign on photos too. Palms outside, from my experience.
THE FAR CORNERS OF THE WORLD: Chapter 2 currrently in the works...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk