Ask something - We can help.

Started by Stupot, Fri 19/12/2008 20:06:21

Previous topic - Next topic

monkey0506

No, they cannot. The ping request times out.

TerranRich

Ryan Timothy: Regular expressions are also great for scenarios like that. Something like:

Code: ags

$new_str = preg_replace('/([^0-9]*?)([0-9]+?)([^0-9]*?)/i', '$1 inserta$2insertb #3', $old_str);

I'm sure it can be done way better than that, but it's just an example. Not even sure if it's faster and more efficient than Calin's methods.

Calin Leafshade

Monkey: If they can't ping then you have a fundamental network issue.. try using DHCP on the router and see if that fixes it (since the router will control network allocation and DNS)

TR & RT (:D): I would imagine thaty my method is slightly faster since a regex function will do unnecessary checks for your particular problem but using preg is certainly simpler and cleaner.

In the end I imagine they do exactly the same thing under the hood anyway.

monkey0506

The router is already being used as a DHCP server.

Privateer Puddin'

Hello, I want to make a gamercard / stat card thing, you might be familiar with these if you're a console gamer, but I guess there are PC ones too?

Something that shows a gamertag, and some stats from a game.

Here's an example of something I want to do

with the data coming from: http://www.eafootballworld.com/en_GB/clubs/742A0001/268044/members

(hopefully you can see that without having to log in?)

I'd like to do it automagically, so I just generate one image for whatever player wants it, and it'll just grab the latest data every day? I have a way to do it by copy and pasting from the page and using that data, but dunno the magic to do it nice automatically :)

Leon

Not sure which language you're using to create your app (AGS?) but cUrl is something we used a lot to fetch data from websites automated...
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

Calin Leafshade

I am doing exactly the same thing for an AGS achievement system (which works by the way ^_^).

The best way to do it i think is to use a PHP graphics library to generate the image based on data from a database... thats what mine does anyway.

GarageGothic

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Sun 01/08/2010 17:54:11I am doing exactly the same thing for an AGS achievement system (which works by the way ^_^).

So we can look forward to hunting around for hundred hidden bluecups in McCarthy ep. 2?

Calin Leafshade

especially now that you've just given me that idea.

ddq

But they would probably stand out pretty easily against the black and white.

Ali

They only turn blue once you find them, of course.

monkey0506

My primary HDD died. Fix it.

Edit: It came back to life. Thanks for fixing it guys. You're the best.

monkey0506

Networking on Windows 7

Who told Mr. Gates that completely screwing everyone was a good idea? I think it must have been his financial advisor. The reason I say that is because Microsoft's free help services like their online "[Lack of] Knowledge Base" has absolutely no helpful information. Presumably calling the toll number for support would help though.

You have no idea how many results "windows 7 unidentified network" yields in a Google search. That is unless you are of course actually using Windows 7. For those who aren't using 7, let me just warn you that wired network connections, by default, are considered "Unidentified public network(s)" in Windows 7. Yes, of course it's public, hence the fact that my desktop PC is physically connected. Why wouldn't it be? Oh, and you can't change the type of network without modifying 7's security policies.

Doing that of course just makes it into an "Unidentified work network" though, so that does a lot of good.

Troubleshooting doesn't do any good because the built-in troubleshooter just says "Windows can't fix the problem."

Google, which is normally our friend, seems as lost and confused as I am. Despite the more than two million results, of which I have of course tried every single one and that is not an exaggeration by any means..::)..nothing seems to be fixing the problem.

I tried using Windows XP Mode which worked for a while, until suddenly it didn't. Nothing actually changed, Windows just decided allowing me to have the internet in my room was unacceptable. Rebooting all systems and such normal preliminary troubleshooting did nothing.

Finally I encountered an article on Google that yielded some insight. Manually assigning the Default Gateway of the ethernet port (in addition to modifying 7's security policies and disabling Windows Firewall, which is really just a way of Microsoft controlling what you can do with your network anyway) finally got 7 to recognize it as an identifiable network. But, we're not home just yet.

THE QUESTION:

Given the above information I now have an identified home network connection on the local ethernet port, but it says "No network access". WHY??

Oh, and apparently starting XP Mode gave it network access, but it is local only. I need it to have internet connectivity. Fix it plzkthxbai.

monkey0506

I understand quite fully the purposes of HTTPS, but currently my internet access is being derived from one or more Android applications (testing different applications to see if the cheaper one is better, in the event we purchase one) to use the data services of the phone to allow tethering. However, the free versions of these applications disallow HTTPS.

I have verified that I can access HTTPS secured pages via a proxy site which serves the page back to me via HTTP.

Is there any way to set this type of proxy access up to directly serve HTTPS sites via HTTP?

If not the full applications range from about $10-$30 USD, as a one time fee, so it's not that big of a deal. Just curious more than anything.

Tuomas

So here's a question:

I have this Acer laptop with Vista on it. The Vista came with no Cd, so once I opened this, it installed itself. I know this is a daft question, but I need to access and update my bios. At startup it says F2 for Setup, nothing more. Now I've restared the computer several time, trying out del, F8 and F4 and such. Well, I thought setup would be the place, but I can't find anything concerning my bios or how to update it :/ How to?

Oliwerko

First you have to know exactly what motherboard does your laptop have. Then go to the manufacturer's website and instructions should be there. (in a case of a laptop the laptop's manufacturer's site should have the BIOS I guess)

For example, I have an Intel DP35DP, so I went onto Intel site and downloaded an .exe which conveniently updated my bios on its own. Another procedures include flash disks or burning it onto CDs and such.

Anyway, if I recall correctly the rule of thumb is not to update bios if you don't need to.

InCreator

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Wed 04/08/2010 20:07:14
You have no idea how many results "windows 7 unidentified network" yields in a Google search.

Are you talking about case where randomly after rebooting internet is down, connection list shows unidentified network and the devil's in a stupid service with strange name (Bonjour DNS Responder if I recall correctly) that Abobe (may you burn in hell) installs so disabling it fixes the problem?

Tuomas

Quote from: Oliwerko on Thu 12/08/2010 10:29:37
Anyway, if I recall correctly the rule of thumb is not to update bios if you don't need to.

I'm fairly sure this is however what I need to do. Once I installed my tablet last time, the touchpad driver broke down and wouldn't work, so I had it repaired and they installed the driver anew and updated the bios for the touchpad. This time I found new drivers for the tablet, installed them and got it working finally properly, only it screwed up my touchpad again. I managed to update the driver there too, there's still bios things, afaik. Though I'm afraid the problem might be, that my touchpad and my tablet don't just like to co-exist.

PS. any idea how to find the mobo without opening this shit up. I won't mind, but it's a lot of work :P

Oliwerko

I would look up your laptop model on the manufacturer's site, BIOS updates will hopefully be where other drivers are. At least with my DELL it was like this. Opening the thing up probably wouldn't help.

Peder 🚀

[QUESTION]
Who is the character artist and who is the animator I should hire for my (640x480) game? :P

[1/2 size]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk