Ask something - We can help.

Started by Stupot, Fri 19/12/2008 20:06:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

Quote from: InCreator on Wed 15/12/2010 21:01:53
Since same question was horribly derailed with irrelevant notions last time, but I'm still wondering, I ask again:

setting:

let's assume that you're... God. Or Neo, and world is fully implemented Matrix... or whatever.
Anyway, it is important that you see everything, you hear everything.
And you can "zoom in" to any scale in the universe. For example, to flea level and see flea in "full size" and hear every sound it makes, etc.

Well, and you can zoom in to atomic level. See atoms close up, how they act etc.

case:

A brick wall stands in the wind. You zoom in to atomic level. You can actually see air molecules impact with the ones of materials bricks are made.

questions:

* How would it look? Would it be equivalent to sky raining asteroids, with "explosions" everywhere, some of the air molecules binding with ones of whatever-brick-clay-consists-of, atoms flying apart from impact, etc?

Logic - slight wind for us is a hurricane to an ant. How about an atom?

* Would you see surface of brick decaying endlessy all the time and simply the super minor scale of this happening causes bricks to last... seemingly forever for us? Or are things much more stable even in so microscopic world?

* How would it sound? I believe there is no sound where is no friction, and everything around us makes noise, even though we don't hear even fragment of it... But atoms are all about friction and impacts... imaging you "zoom" so close, would there be hell of a "noise" with billions of impacts happening every second? Or is there some physics law that kills sound at some point?
Well, sound is movement of air, right... Would wind blowing against brick wall cause enough force to actually make airwaves?

I could wait for a physicist answer that but I'll have a go in the mean time.

The concept of looking and hearing are not relevant at the atomic level. I don't think light beams are small enough to look at atoms, and although we use electron microscopes to look at very small objects, atoms are very much smaller still. Sounds are made when vibrations travel through the air, and there is no medium for 'atomic sounds' to move through.

The depictions of atoms we're used to are visual representations which help us to understand them. I believe they are mostly made of nothing, a bit like the solar system.

Calin Leafshade

Youre making the mistake of assuming that the macroscopic and the atomic levels are similar in behaviour. They simply arent.

You couldnt really see what was happening. To see something you need a photon to bounce off it. If a photon bounces off a particle then the particle isnt there anymore. Your photon sent it flying somewhere else.

Secondly it's impossible to accurate place an atomic particle like that. They arent really little balls. They are waves of probability. A wave function.

Indeed, particles can be one side of a particle and the other side of it *at the same time*.

And the sound thing is even more impossible since sound requires a medium to move through and that medium is the very atoms we are talking about.

if you're interested in physics like this but just want it in layman's terms I recommend the sixty symbols youtube videos which come from my home town ^_^ (Nottingham University to be specific)

www.youtube.com/sixtysymbols

They are all awesome but for instance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRRnMS1sm6Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afgc3SeZnV8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr0HiIed-8Q&feature=related

Gabriel_Down

And you thought pixel hunting was a drag

bicilotti

So I'm looking for

cheap site hosting, with ASP.

I'd say godaddy but who knows, maybe you know some people who know some people who are even cheaper.

TerranRich

Quote from: bicilotti on Wed 22/12/2010 17:56:17
So I'm looking for

cheap site hosting, with ASP.

I'd say godaddy but who knows, maybe you know some people who know some people who are even cheaper.

I use HostGator and I highly recommend them. Their plans are incredibly cheap, but offer good features on hosting.

Peder 🚀

http://host.exemplum.com/hasbro/gloworld/firefly-mobile/firefly-mobile.html
What is song number 2 on --> Music Box --> Classical (gotta listen to the first one untill the second starts..)

Monsieur OUXX

Since I can ask anything, I'll ask something.

There's something I can never remember how to say in English : How do you call those government estates that are supposed to have a lower rent. Put bluntly: How do you call the State-owned buildings where "poorer people" live?

I believe it's "something project" or "something yard" ?

Monsieur OUXX

Alright, so here is a translation I wrote :

Could any native English speaker (but sonicrumpets  ;)) tell me if there are some grammar mistakes, things that don't make sense, or misspellings?

=====================

Adult and teenage girls :
Perspectives on sexuality in grammar school

This research offers an analysis on sex education and how it’s implemented in a school environment. It will be lead in grammar schools, from the interviews of teenage girls and adult education workers (teachers, social workers, school nurses, etc.). We’ll focus on how sex education laws are interpreted locally. We’ll study the forms of teenage girls’ sexual expression in a context where there is the influence of tradition and religion, relations between genres, suburbs culture and social housing culture.
Studying the perception of sex education by teenage girls and the teaching methods of professionals will allow having a grasp of the peculiar stakes on prevention around that topic, still subject to taboos. It will help finding out the influences of perspectives both from professionals and young girls on potential pregnancy choices.
We will offer elements to put the study in context, using a psychosociological approach: normative injunctions on procreation, representations of parenthood, perception of children’s’ status in families, and, more generally, in society. The goal is to understand how each young girl and each professional construct and interiorize their own personal image of the “paradigmatic” mother and father.
This work of research, taking in account the evolution of the legal context, should allow evaluating the answers and the adaptation capabilities of teaching institutions regarding contraception, pregnancy, and maternity amongst teenage girls.

Babar

The article didn't have any misspellings, and the only instance of incorrect grammar I found was use of "children's'" (children is already plural), and the only thing I found personally to not make sense is the use of the word 'genres'. However, it did have (what I would consider) to be somewhat clunky english in parts, and I maybe would've arranged some things a bit differently. It was easier for me to have a go at it rather than explaining everything that sounded odd. So here is how I would've done it, keeping in mind that I'm not an expert in psycho-socialogical research into sex education and it's related technical terms :D, but rather have some (hopefully helpful) information on how to make your passage more readable. Hopefully it'll be of some use to you:

This research offers an analysis on sex education and how it is implemented in a school environment. It will be focused on grammar schools, mainly derived from the interviews of teenage girls and adult education workers (teachers, social workers, school nurses, etc.). We’ll focus on how sex education laws are interpreted locally, as well as study the forms of sexual expression in teenage girls in a context where there is the influence of tradition and religion, relations between genres[what do you mean by genre?], suburbs culture and social housing culture.
Studying the perception of sex education by teenage girls and the teaching methods of professionals will allow us to have a grasp of the peculiar stakes on prevention around that topic, still subject to taboos[I'm not sure how to fix this bit..I tried a bit, but perhaps using 'us' here is not how you want your article to go]. It will help in finding out the influences of perspectives on potential pregnancy choices both from professionals and young girls.
We will offer elements to put the study in context, using a psycho-sociological approach: normative injunctions on procreation, representations of parenthood, perception of children's status in families, and, more generally, in society. The goal is to understand how each young girl and each professional construct and interiorize their own personal image of the “paradigmatic” mother and father.
This work of research, taking in account the evolution of the legal context, should allow evaluating the answers[perhaps 'solutions' or maybe 'procedures' or 'methodologies' might be a more appropriate word here, considering that "contraception, pregnancy, and maternity amongst teenage girls" aren't technically questions] and the adaptation capabilities of teaching institutions regarding contraception, pregnancy, and maternity amongst teenage girls.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Anian

- this part: expression in the context of tradition and religion, relations (maybe interactions, relationships, differences) between genders, suburban culture - I think "in context of" already applies that it has influence
- instead of genres, I think you meant genders
- last paragraph - taking into account

And the parts that Babar mentioned.
Not a native speaker but you're not as well, so :P
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Monsieur OUXX

@Babar, @Anian : Yes, I confused "genres" and "genders"!! How silly of me. It's the same word for both in French.
@Anian : Can I trust you when yourself confuse "to apply" and "to imply"? ;) Just kidding.

Anian

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Mon 03/01/2011 12:02:13
@Anian : Can I trust you when yourself confuse "to apply" and "to imply"? ;) Just kidding.
Yes, yes I did and yes you can.  ;D
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Monsieur OUXX

Alright, thanks again, Babar and Anian.

Here is a second go :

Notes : About the "answers" thing, I wasn't satisfied with "procedures" or "solutions", because what the author is trying to express, is how the government/senate/etc. "answers", or "replies", to changes in the society. It's not so much about the solutions they choose, but more about how quickly they adapt. Do you get me? I'm ready to accept that "answer" is not the right word but I also know that I'll change the meaning of the sentence if I take "solutions" or "procedures".

===============

Adults and teenage girls :
Perspectives on sexuality in grammar school

This research offers an analysis on sex education and how it’s implemented in a school environment. It will be focused on grammar schools, derived from the interviews of teenage girls and adult education workers (teachers, social workers, school nurses, etc.). We’ll deal with the way sex education laws are interpreted locally, as well as study the forms of sexual expression in teenage girls in a context where there is the influence of tradition and religion, interactions between genders, suburbs culture and social housing culture.
Studying the perception of sex education by teenage girls and the teaching methods of professionals should allow having a grasp of the stakes on prevention around that topic, still subject to taboos. It will help in finding out the influences of perspectives on potential pregnancy choices both from professionals and young girls.
We will offer elements to put the study in context, using a psycho-sociological approach: normative injunctions on procreation, representations of parenthood, perception of children status in families, and, more generally, in society. The goal is to understand how each young girl and each professional construct and interiorize their own personal image of the “paradigmatic” mother and father.
This work of research, taking into account the evolution of the legal context, should allow evaluating the answers and the adaptation capabilities of teaching institutions regarding contraception, pregnancy, and maternity amongst teenage girls.

Babar

Perhaps then 'responses' would be a better word?
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Babar on Mon 03/01/2011 12:48:24
Perhaps then 'responses' would be a better word?

Yes, that's it.
again, in French, "reply", "answer" and "response" are the same word. I get the difference but the right word doesn't come spontaneously.

Thanks a lot. I think the translation is correct now. I never thought I'd call upon the AGS community for that kind of stuff! (not that I would have to translate such a text!!!)

Stupot

Sorry if this is moot now, but myself and everyone I know just calls them 'council houses' and 'council estates'.
I grew up in them, haha.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Stupot on Tue 04/01/2011 12:24:40
Sorry if this is moot now, but myself and everyone I know just calls them 'council houses' and 'council estates'.
I grew up in them, haha.

Yeah that's it!
I'll correct it. Thanks!

theo

Can I compile my AGS game into something that can run on a mac?
(not interested in running the game through a virtual machine or anything wackily complicated like that, I want a standalone version of the game that runs on mac.)

I'm guessing this is a no-go since I've seen zero ags games boasting about being mac compatible.

Gilbert

Yes. There is a mac native engine in development. However, it's for a very old version (V2.71), so if you really want to make a game that runs in a mac you need to make it with that version of AGS. Also, pay attention of what features are missing and what glitches there are in that version and have this in mind when developing the game.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk