Ask something - We can help.

Started by Stupot, Fri 19/12/2008 20:06:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Wyz

Different aspect ratios and resolutions is definitely a pain for developers., but I don't see that changing in the future. Well it will get worse since the net books and smart phones tent to have really irregular resolutions. It is particularly difficult for sprite art, since it does not stretch nicely and only scales nicely at regular intervals.
What we could do is detach the viewport from the background, that way we can sort of scroll the background and we do not need to stretch it (but do need to scale it 2x or 3x). AGS currently supports a few predefined resolutions, it would be nice if we could change it to an arbitrary resolution at even nicer if we could do it at run time. That way we could adjust everything in-game to this new resolution. Well, just thoughts... ;D
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

theo

calin: yeah. 16:10 is both nice and common. I'm not after low res though. If 16:10 is the rule, I'd prefer it if I could chose 1280*800 as the resolution for my game. 640*400 doesn't really cut it.

ascovel: true, but I'm not after multiplying, I want the original dimensions to change.

anian: agreed. it's a mess!

wyz: I'd love that too. Let's keep on dreaming, lol.

Tuomas

Time for you guys to help me. It's about OpenOffice, so if you know anything, please read further:

I wrote my bachelor's with OO 3.2.1... It's about 6200 words, so it's basically still a draft but anyway, I was supposed to send it to my teacher so that he could fix some grammatical errors. He though does not have OO on his work computer, so I saved as .docx which has always worked just fine.

But he couldn't edit the text file. He was able to paint over words or overline them, but not erase or add anything. Now that he sent ti back to me asking why it was protected, even I can't modify the text. Now I really would not want to write another 6200 words in German, I'd rather just edit what I already have, especially when the table of contents was such a hell to do with this program.

So anyone have an idea, what's wrong with this thing? I'm supposed to fix the errors and present it on wednesday, so I'm pretty much in a hurry. :(

m0ds

I'm looking for .Net framework 1.1 SDK but all links to M$ seem to be down. Or, will software that requires 1.1 SDK be okay using a newer version? Hmm.

Calin Leafshade

The framework is backwards compatible i think, so you should be ok.

Stupot

My friend showed me this piece of music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSxDjW9bLCQ

I immedately recognized it, but I know know where from.

I did a bit of digging, and found out that it is, or was, considered to be ambient or 'furniture' music, so I've probably heard it in an elevator or homewares store.  However, I'm CERTAIN I've heard it in a film or TV show (if not several), but can't think where.

My question is:  Off the top of your head, have you heard this peice on a film or TV show that I might have seen?

It apparently appears in a Korean drama called 'Windstruck' but that's not where I've heard it.
(can you apparently appear? haha)

Thanks

Peder 🚀

Heard it LOADS of times, can't remember any movie names etc though sorry.

arj0n

Stupot

Haha, Arj0n that's epic.
I've definitely seen some of the things on that list and I can also announce that I remember hearing that song on the X-files...  Itch scratched, cheers man.

m0ds

Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 01/02/2011 06:07:26

Thanks... any idea of a site thats non Microsoft that I can get it from?

Also any idea why the worlds biggest software company can't keep their website up and running? Or is microsoft.com completely defunct now?

Akatosh

Quote from: Mods on Tue 01/02/2011 16:10:20
Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 01/02/2011 06:07:26

Thanks... any idea of a site thats non Microsoft that I can get it from?

Also any idea why the worlds biggest software company can't keep their website up and running? Or is microsoft.com completely defunct now?

http://www.microsoft.com/en/us/default.aspx seems to be up again.

Domino

I need some HELP!!

I cannot for the life of me find a way to save this Flash video onto my hard drive.

It is my dad's car that he just traded in, and the website has a Flash video of it, and my dad wants to have this video before they remove it when it sells.

I have tried all that I can to be able to retrieve this video and save it to send to him.

http://donreidford.com/cardetails.asp?VIN=JM1NC25F180140978#

The video is in the link provided. I really hope somebody can help me, because I want to make my dad happy. I tried different programs, using special add-ons to firefox, but it won't work.

Thank You to anybody that can help.

Domino

Babar

The connection keeps timing out for me, so I can't see it, Dom.
I tried checking the google cache of the page, but that doesn't show any flash object.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Domino

Maybe the link only works in the US.

Glad you at least tried Babar.  :)

Akatosh

No, it works from Germany.

However, looking at the video and especially the source code of the page*... I'm not sure if this is something you CAN download. As far as I can see, the "movie" is generated from the pictures in the gallery - they're just enlargened and only parts are shown, creating the impression of a "video".

I might be mistaken, though.

(*Specifically, the slightly strange URL to the link. flash/moviegallery.swf?imageinfo=27,80140978,http://www.justcarwebsites.com/~donreidford/,flash/,blank.mp3,flash/background.png looks suspiciously like a general-purpose video generation file taking some arguments.)

Domino

Yeah, when i was checking the source, it was only showing the images of the car.

Maybe, I should just use my camera to film it, then edit it.

Thanks for at least trying guys. Appreciate it.

Akatosh

Sorry I couldn't really help.  :-\ In a fit, you could always download the individual images and put a small Flash movie together by hand, or something.

zabnat

Download some screen recorder tool and record the video with it while displaying the page. Something like camtasia perhaps? I don't have lots of experience with these, I have only used VirtualDub to capture video.

Domino

Problem solved. I just recorded it with my camera.

Thanks for helping.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk