Ask something - We can help.

Started by Stupot, Fri 19/12/2008 20:06:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Guybrush Nosehair

Deleted...

Calin Leafshade

In order to use covers you need to speak to whoever licenses the *recording* not the song.

Dylan may own the song but the song was licensed out to the Byrds which includes a license to sub-license that recording for play at the discretion of the recording owner.

So speak to The Byrds' record label.

Guybrush Nosehair

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Sun 20/03/2011 17:49:56
In order to use covers you need to speak to whoever licenses the *recording* not the song.

Dylan may own the song but the song was licensed out to the Byrds which includes a license to sub-license that recording for play at the discretion of the recording owner.

So speak to The Byrds' record label.

Oops... I misread the original post. I was thinking EHCB was asking something entirely different. My mistake.

Ali

If I have a  .PDF on my website, will email-harvesting web spiders (who'd have thought that would ever become a real thing?) be able to read an email address in it?

I'm sure it's possible, but do they go to the trouble?

Gilbert

I think this is highly possible, as Google search alone can crawl inside pdf files. To make it a little bit safer, maybe said email portion could be made by using a bitmap picture instead of text (provided you have control over the pdf creation process).

TomatoesInTheHead

Quote from: Iceboty V7000a on Tue 22/03/2011 01:34:06
I think this is highly possible, as Google search alone can crawl inside pdf files. To make it a little bit safer, maybe said email portion could be made by using a bitmap picture instead of text (provided you have control over the pdf creation process).
If you convert it into a picture, you can make a vector graphic as well (with some "turn text into path" function in a vector graphics program), would look nicer (ideally indistinguishable from normal text) in a pdf.

Or maybe you can use this trick: instead of writing your email address aliisthebest@example.com, write something like aliisthebest@e.x.a.m.p.l.e.com, then give all inserted characters the same color as the background and a font size of 1, or whatever is the smallest possible font size. Any crawler should not be able to distinguish between the visible and invisible characters.

Ryan Timothy B

I'm completely new to Microsoft Visual Studio 2010, just downloaded the trial version last night. It actually looks pretty simple to grasp with all the subs and such. I'm assuming it's very similar to c#.

Anyway, I'm wondering how to 'correctly' draw a rectangle? I'm trying to do something similar to the drawing surfaces in AGS. Most of the google searches I find say that if you move a form over the drawn rectangle with the method they show, it will erase it. Then they say the correct method is to use the paint approach, but no one seems to like to show that method. Do any of you know the correct method or a tutorial that I can learn from? Thanks!

Just to go a little off topic, I'm in charge of making work schedules now for almost two dozen employees and the program is so unbelievably horrible and frustrating to use that I'd rather just make my own. I can't set it up to notify me if I don't have a cashier between opening and closing. Or to even have it tell me that the person I'm putting on cash doesn't have training for it. Etc. That's one of the many many things I'll be adding.

zabnat

Could you clarify what programming language and edition of Visual Studio 2010 you use?

Ryan Timothy B

Oh, my apologies, I didn't know there were any differences between any of the VS applications.
In the about section the graphical header says Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate, Version 10.0.30319.1 RTMRel. And when I created a new application I selected "Windows Forms Application".

Or am I still giving the wrong information? :P

zabnat

Well you can use C++, VB.NET or C# with Visual Studio. I only have used Express editions, but I don't think they differ that much.

I have only used it for C# and am not very good with C++, so I don't know if I'm much help. But I just tried it with C++ and if you just want to draw a rectangle on the form, add a paint event for your form in form designer. Use the example code from MSDN documentation inside newly created method for the paint event. Now if you run it you'll have a blue rectangle starting from upper left corner with the size 200x200.

Ali

Quote from: TomatosInTheHead on Tue 22/03/2011 07:23:40
Quote from: Iceboty V7000a on Tue 22/03/2011 01:34:06
If you convert it into a picture, you can make a vector graphic as well (with some "turn text into path" function in a vector graphics program), would look nicer (ideally indistinguishable from normal text) in a pdf.

Thanks guys... The bitmap technique is what I'm using on the site itself, but it's nice to be able to copy and paste an email address so I didn't want to do the same in the PDF if I didn't have to.

cat

@Ryan: You can override onpaint of a control and then paint on the graphics. The magic google word is "owner drawn".

Calin Leafshade

also @Ryan:

Heres some example code from nexus to make a custom listbox:

Code: ags

protected override void OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)
        {
            if (DesignMode) return;
            HandleOffset();

Pen p = new Pen(this.ForeColor);
            e.Graphics.Clear(this.BackColor);

int count = 0;
            foreach (Game g in games)
            {
                if (count == selectedIndex)
                {
                    p.Color = this.selectionColor;
                    e.Graphics.FillRectangle(p.Brush, new Rectangle(margin + 2, count * 52 + 1 - offset + margin, Width - 1, 50));
                }

p.Color = this.ForeColor;

e.Graphics.DrawString(g.Title, titleFont, p.Brush, new PointF(55.0f + margin, count * 52.0f + 10.0f - offset + margin));
                e.Graphics.DrawString(g.Status, statusFont, p.Brush, new PointF(55.0f + margin, count * 52.0f + 30.0f - offset + margin));

p.Color = Color.Black;

if (g.IconImg != null)
                {
                    e.Graphics.DrawRectangle(p, new Rectangle(2 + margin, count * 52 + 1 - offset + margin, 50, 50));
                    e.Graphics.DrawImage(g.IconImg, new Rectangle(3 + margin, count * 52 + 2 - offset + margin, 48, 48));

}

count++;

}

e.Graphics.DrawRectangle(p, new Rectangle(0, 0, Width - 1, Height - 1));
            base.OnPaint(e);
        }

Edit: A *bad* example... what am i doing with those pens :/
Edit2: That's better.

cat

Also, you don't need to fiddle with pens, you can use SolidBrush instead.

Calin Leafshade

I don't see the difference.

Am i missing something?

cat

Not really, but as every method seems to need a brush as a parameter no need for a pen. Nevermind, just saw that DrawRectangle needs a pen.

Ryan Timothy B

Right on. Thanks guys. I'll take a look at them when I haven't been drinking. (I'm normally sober... most of the time :P)

Ahh.. Now I see the light. When creating a new project I have the choice between Visual Basic, C#, C++, etc. Hmm. Which one is the best/easiest format for creating a normal windows based program? I imagine Visual Basic?

InCreator

What was that comedy movie named where bunch of people didn't get into good college so they started their own?

Calin Leafshade

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Wed 23/03/2011 23:30:17
Ahh.. Now I see the light. When creating a new project I have the choice between Visual Basic, C#, C++, etc. Hmm. Which one is the best/easiest format for creating a normal windows based program? I imagine Visual Basic?

Go C#. Visual basic is so far removed from most, more powerful languages that you end up reinventing the wheel.

Anian

Quote from: InCreator on Fri 25/03/2011 22:26:08
What was that comedy movie named where bunch of people didn't get into good college so they started their own?
You mean college or fraternity? There's Accepted http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0384793 but their own fraterntiy section has stuff like Old school http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0302886/
I don't want the world, I just want your half

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk