Ask something - We can help.

Started by Stupot, Fri 19/12/2008 20:06:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikolas

m0ds

Hmm, a mass of websites have all gone down in the last 10 mins, including Twitter, GLP, ATS.... ?? Did the US of A just sink? Many .coms seem to have flumped and disappeared over the last hour...... mega virus? :/ DOOM

Anyone else having problems..? Try some big .com's. Sky.com, soundcloud (which was working earlier) ..... all gone without a trace, not even a 404 error.......

this is uckin' weiiird man! LOL please someone confirm this or set me straight??

Mati256

Both sites working for me.  ???
My Blog! (En Español)

m0ds

Thanks Mat, must be something my end then. My ISP doing something I presume. Weird!

Edit: Cool, it's all working again this morning :)

Ultra Magnus

Can anyone tell me, in terms of computers, what precisely is an executive?
I know it's basically a kind of user interface, but what's the difference between an executive and a shell, for instance?
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.

I'm tired of pretending I'm not bitchin', a total frickin' rock star from Mars.

m0ds

Well I'm going to take a stab at that one Magnus, but I may be completely wrong. I'm pretty sure this IS NOT what you're asking, cos I'd assume you know the difference between EXE and shells.... but yes, If you mean "executable" and shell then one is a file that stores everything and can run standalone - usually (executable) and the other is a small program that LOADS a series of other files or executables (exe's).

For example, an entire game may fit into hello.exe (executable)

Whereas a shell (used to be .bat, not sure what it is these days) would be a very small program to help load things needed to run hello.exe, and then maybe make the computer RUN the executable once it's done loading the other drivers/files etc. The executable would hold a mind boggling amount of data and code, where as a shell would probably be just a few lines:

LOAD C:\DELL\386\SOUND.DRV
RUN C:\MODS\HELLO.EXE

An old game I made worked a bit like this. There was an EXE for it, which you could run, but it wouldn't load the sound drivers and it wouldn't be able to find the root directory for any of the games external data. So I had to write a shell (.bat) to tell the computer to load the sound drivers, register for the session the root directory of the game, and finally, launch the game EXE.

Ultra Magnus

Quote from: Mods on Fri 15/04/2011 18:15:53
Well I'm going to take a stab at that one Magnus, but I may be completely wrong. I'm pretty sure this IS NOT what you're asking, cos I'd assume you know the difference between EXE and shells....
Hey, man. Thanks for the in-depth answer, but you're right. That's not what I'm asking. ;)

What I'm looking for is more info on what is summarised here. That says that an executive is a shell, but I figure there must be a difference or it would just be called a shell, right? I assume it's a kind of "squares are all rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares" type thing, but can anyone give me any more specific info?
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.

dbuske

I need ideas for Documentaries to make.  What are all of you interested in knowing about?
What if your blessings come through raindrops
What if your healing comes through tears...

Mati256

Quote from: dbuske on Fri 15/04/2011 22:09:02
I need ideas for Documentaries to make.  What are all of you interested in knowing about?

Adventure games?
My Blog! (En Español)

dbuske

Quote from: Mati256 on Fri 15/04/2011 22:15:52

Adventure games?
Probably a tongue in cheek response, but not a bad idea.  Maybe just 2.5 adventures and not commercial.
What if your blessings come through raindrops
What if your healing comes through tears...

Mati256

I mean AGS Adventure Games. Or maybe AGS itself and it's community.
My Blog! (En Español)

Wyz

Quote from: Ultra Magnus on Fri 15/04/2011 12:33:41
I know it's basically a kind of user interface, but what's the difference between an executive and a shell, for instance?

As far as I can tell it a bit of a archaic term for a shell. There exist a shell that is called 'Executive', that might coincide with it. I don't know if there is a clear difference between the words, the only thing I could think of is that one might be a rudimentary interface that just fire up programs, while the other also allows basic scripting; but that's just speculation.
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Stupot

I had an idea a little while ago, but I'd never do it myself, so maybe you could consider it.

A kind of meta-documentary documenting the process of making a documentary, using your very documentary as the focus of itself.
You would interview various film-makers and documentists(?) about the processes involved, from coming up with an idea, finding sources, interviewing people, writing, filming, editing, etc.  The film not only documents these techniques and advice, but itself becomes the product of what it is documenting.

It makes sense in my head anyway :P

Ultra Magnus

Quote from: Wyz on Sat 16/04/2011 01:47:34
As far as I can tell it a bit of a archaic term for a shell.
Yeah, as you said, there is an old shell called "Executive", and the Windows interface classified itself as an "MS-DOS Executive" for the first few versions. But more recently there is also the "Windows Executive" that runs between the UI and the kernel in NT, which seems to either be unrelated to the old definition, or is related in a very specific way that I can't figure out.
It's just tough to find anything searching for 'shell' and 'executive' that isn't about oil.

Ultra Magnus

Bapu 2: Infinitely Superior to the Kaffirs

Stee

Quote from: Ultra Magnus on Fri 15/04/2011 12:33:41

Hope this helps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architecture_of_Windows_NT#Executive

Essentially a collection of services. Probably things like svchost etc, that are core to the system and loaded first.
<Babar> do me, do me, do me! :D
<ProgZMax> I got an idea - I reached in my pocket and pulled out my Galen. <timofonic2> Maybe I'm a bit gay, enough for do multitask and being romantical

m0ds

Anyone familiar with 3DS MAX my friend is having trouble importing a simple Wavefront OBJ file. I'm able to import it fine on my old 3D software (Bryce) but she can't get it into her expensive software 3dS Max. Any ideas what might be causing this problem?

Anian

Quote from: Mods on Tue 19/04/2011 13:10:48
Anyone familiar with 3DS MAX my friend is having trouble importing a simple Wavefront OBJ file. I'm able to import it fine on my old 3D software (Bryce) but she can't get it into her expensive software 3dS Max. Any ideas what might be causing this problem?
Maybe a bit more specific? Is there an error message, she can't see the actual .obj file, does it seem like it's importing but nothing happens, are the textures messed up? Where did she get the obj file?

Also, I don't know this for sure, there's supposed to be a plugin for 3ds max for importing obj and it's supposed to be better than the default one, so might try looking into that as well.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

WHAM

Where can I find a good tutorial on how to make pixellated flames? Or is there a fire plugin for AGS somewhere?
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk