Ask something - We can help.

Started by Stupot, Fri 19/12/2008 20:06:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Calin Leafshade

Quote from: ThreeOhFour on Sat 14/01/2012 07:02:21
I am not an electrician, but one of the members in my band is and has discussed RCDs with me in the past.

Woohoo, party time.

Grim

Thanks Ben;) Reading up about RCBs now.... ;)

Another thing- would scissors actually be strong enough to cut through electric cable? We're talking decent sized scissors and a cable that's about... the thickness of... a guitar cable? :-\

Chrille

If it's a big pair of scissors you might be able to cut the cable, but it's more likely you'd ruin them unless you cut it bit by bit. Wire cutters is the way to go. And your friend is right about the light blast, even if you the plastic kept you from getting electrocuted a big light explosion would be the danger.

But it's not like people are going to be in an uproar if the puzzle isn't entirely realistic.
GASPOP software
http://www.gaspop.com

Dualnames

See usually all the wire cutters have a resistance along. At work we used a certain brand that had resistance for 1000V. Cutting the cable that goes to the electric meter, would require a bit of strength there, or very VERY VERY ULTRA MAX SHARP scissors. Unless they are gardening ones. The thing is that the scissors can't stand such amperage, most likely electrocution is there, and if we take a moment and pretend the cut will be instant-like, there will be a flash and for a short period of time the scissors will have to work as part of the cable. That means the plastic may or may not stand the heat.

Even if we're talking about the lowest amperage possible, it's still not possible for a standard normal scissor to do it, imho. The time to cut the cable and the possibility of getting electroshocked is quite big. Unless they are gardening scissors.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Grim

Ok, thanks Chrille and Duals. You have given me an idea of how to go around it... If the cable is cut while the meter is turned off there will be no explosion or shock, right? I think I'll have the player turn it off first and make it a timed thing, so if the cable's not cut on time someone turns the meter back on. This way, even with blunt scissors, she can cut through it, because she doesn't have to succeed at first cut, it would be altoghether more realistic and also add an additional layer to the puzzle;)

Tabata

You simply need a pair of sissors in good quality to cut cables with it.
They have to be sharp, not big ;)

I have already done this a lot of times  ;D

WHAM

I want to create my own font for my games.

Before you suggest I piss off and download the Radiant Font Editor, I have done so. However, I want to create a font that support scandic letters and some special letters: ä, ö, å, ü etc, and the Radiant Fonr Editor does not seem to be willing to cooperate with me on this.

Any further suggestions?
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

bicilotti

Quote from: WHAM on Mon 16/01/2012 10:43:52

Before you suggest I piss off and download the Radiant Font Editor, I have done so. However, I want to create a font that support scandic letters and some special letters: ä, ö, å, ü etc, and the Radiant Fonr Editor does not seem to be willing to cooperate with me on this.

Any further suggestions?

I wonder wheter SCI actually supports scandic letters... Using TTF? Pressganging him into releasing the code?

selmiak

Quote from: WHAM on Mon 16/01/2012 10:43:52

Any further suggestions?

fontforge (free/open source) or fontlab (expensive/really good).

Nikolas

I'm looking for a visual artist. An animator, a director... someone who would be making films anyhow, or animations, or other with effects or without...

Where would I be looking for such a person? (probably one who would be willing to go about it for very cheap, or free... *ahem*). What forums? What sites? What places? Even here perhaps?

cat

@Nikolas You could look on the website of film schools, maybe they have some kind of forum there.

Bulbapuck

I have some strange problems with using Flash.

I just bought a brand new computer, and it works excellently, except for this problem. Whenever I'm watching a video or use flash in any way it becomes INSANELY slow. Quite often everything just freezes and I can't do anything. Most of the time it's just the video that freezes for about a minute while audio is still playing, but this is obviously not ideal either. I've tried different browsers with the same result.

Has this happened to anyone else? Does anybody have an idea of what's going on? Or maybe something to figure it out?

Thanks in advance :)

Stupot

@Bulba
My laptop does this with whatever format Yahoo!'s videos are in.  It says I need a plug-in, but rather than trying to find said plug-in I just use it as a good excuse not to click on articles on Yahoo!

Probably a silly question, so don't hit me, but... have you got the latest version of Flash? *flinches*

Bulbapuck

I do, thanks though :)
I rarely have to deal with issues like this so I really don't know where to look, and I haven't found much by googling. But it's not something to do with running out of memory, that's the only thing I thought to check :P

EDIT: I found a temporary solution while browsing the adobe site. When answering a different question they advised to always try and disable "hardware acceleration" as a first troubleshooting step. And I think it worked, a lot of problems went away immediatly :)

Wyz

Holy fuck, I've been having this problem for over a year now and tried all sorts of things but disabling hardware acceleration fixed it.  :o
Thanks Bulba!  :D
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Mati256

I have a problem with Youtube. Videos don't seem to load as before.
Anyone noticed the same problem? Maybe it's just Youtube.  ???
My Blog! (En Español)

Bulbapuck

@Wyz: haha, that's great :D

After investigating further I realized that all the remaining problems was due to firefox. After switching to chrome all problems seem to have vanished!

@Mati: I haven't noticed anything like that. Although something I have noticed is that for some strange reason higher resolution seems to load faster for me. No idea why :P

arj0n

I was wondering, what's the purpose of the alt+255 code.
It's not a space, it's a real character you can't see and it's used for tricks.
But if you can't see it, why is it a character?
And what's the original purpose of this character, why creating a character you can't see?

Enlight me...

bicilotti

Quote from: »Arj0n« on Mon 13/02/2012 13:59:49
I was wondering, what's the purpose of the alt+255 code.
It's not a space, it's a real character you can't see and it's used for tricks.
But if you can't see it, why is it a character?
And what's the original purpose of this character, why creating a character you can't see?

Enlight me...

I might be wrong, but iirc the dreaded alt+255 was/is recognised as a valid character by many programs. That helped in achieving some not-so-clever hacks, say, in output format, where an entry with a bunch of spaces could be skipped while one with our invisible friend was not.

Wyz

Alt+255 gives you a non breaking space. These spaces where originally used to stop lines being cut at this place. Later they where used like bici pointed out; it is exactly the same character as   in HTML so quite useful.
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk