Ask something - We can help.

Started by Stupot, Fri 19/12/2008 20:06:21

Previous topic - Next topic

selmiak

nihilyst

Quote from: »Arj0n« on Tue 03/04/2012 11:41:45
What was about the first adventure game using the simplified GUI?

As in (among other things):
* only having the Left and Right click being Action and Look.
* no swiching between mousemodes by the gameplayer.
* no icons on-screen (like sierra/lucasarts icons) / no verbcoin

I think Beneath A Steel Sky (1994) had it. But maybe there was one before it.

Andail

I'd ALSO say that BASS must be one of the FIRST using that kind of GUI, if not the VERY first.

m0ds

Jesus H Christ. I'm trying to explain to a printing company that I want them to print a booklet/manual to include in a DVD game box.

They've told me that this size is "DS" - is that correct?

Also, how the hell do I explain how many pages I want. For example, if you were to take ONE sheet from a manual, extract it and look at it - that ONE sheet would be 4 pages of the manual. So 3 pieces of paper would be 12 pages, am I right? I don't know. The professional printer doesn't understand what I'm asking for.

If someone can tell me how to explain what I want to the printer I would be grateful.

Kweepa

If the printer can't help you, go to another printer that is going to at least try. If he's not going to try to help, he's not going to make sure there are no mistakes and he's probably going to screw you on the deal.
I've never heard of DS paper size, and a quick search of wikipedia doesn't turn up anything. I suspect it just means double sided.

Look here though:
http://www.pacificdisc.com/PrepDVDArt.html
This is a folded piece of paper that is 9 7/8" wide by 7 5/16" tall. The fold is at 4 15/16". To support full-bleed, the final size should be 10 1/8" wide by 7 9/16" tall (1/8" around each side will be removed.)
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

m0ds

Thanks Steve, luckily they understood today and I got my answer! Thanks for explaining, crisis averted :)

Anian

Yeah, not that I am that knowledgeable (even though I finished a school for printing technologies), but I never heard of DS and, as Kweepa mentioned, google doesn't turn up anything either.

Thing is, if you have a pdf file for example (it is usually good to see what kind of files and settings they work best with and prepare the documents before sending), you should be able to send them that. Pdf has number and sizes of pages in it and it's their problem how they're going to print it, because it basically depends on what kind of a machine they have for printing (what size of paper it uses). They then make their own estimates and calculations of materials they're gonna use and how the whole thing is going to be bended and cut, and usually that's where the price comes from, although they might have some preset sizes.

You just need to tell them what kind of binding you want, presumably, since it's for a disk booklet, staples are usually chosen. If it's paperback type of book then it's glued and stitched if it's hardcover.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Stupot

Is it possible to search for the owner of a car using their number plate (license plate, to our American cousins) or is that just a priviledge cops have?

There's a guy who has been stopping outside my front door, two or three times a day, every day, including Sundays, for the past 12 or so days.  He just parks up, and sits there with his door open and smoking a cigarette whilst listening to the radio.  Not ever-so-weird in itself.  But he just coughs and splutters and spits chunks of phlegm all over the pavement outside my door, and whenever I look out the window he seems to be staring at my front door.

I'm sure he's just on a fag-break, but why does he feel the need to spend his fag breaks HERE, of all the miles of parking spaces in the area, why MY front door?  It was funny at first, but now it's kind of creepy.

I could, you know, just ask him, but I'm one to avoid awkward conversations if possible, so I'm setting about doing some detective work.  Starting with his number plate.  I now know the exact make and model of his van and where it was produced, but that's it.

Do you have to be a copper to 'run a check' on a number plate?  It's not fair. If this was a movie, I'd know his name, address, and whether or not he has any previous convictions by now... I knew I should have been a copper :-(

m0ds

You could get basic info about the history of the car using that "reg checker" app or text number (for about £4 a pop!) but no you will not be able to get a name/address without speaking to the police. More trouble than it's worth. Just put a couple of cones or a skip out there. It's legal and maybe he'll get the message and budge.

PS IF you really want to know "why", don't be a wuss and just go ask the guy :P

Khris

If you're bold, just call the DMV and pretend you're a cop. Just give them some random name and badge number; chances are they won't check it.
The other thing is, what are you going to do after you find out his name and address? I get why you're curious, but knowing his name isn't going to help you that much I guess.

Anian

I don't know if it would cause trouble if you come out and shot a photo of him and the car. The guy seems weird as is, so I don't know nay normal conversation would be an option. I don't even think he's trying to rob your place...or he's just a bad burglar.
Maybe a neighborhood watch report or find a local police patrol and ask for advice. They can check I think pretty quickly if you ask them nicely.

Quote from: Khris on Thu 05/04/2012 15:43:41
If you're bold, just call the DMV and pretend you're a cop. Just give them some random name and badge number; chances are they won't check it.
The other thing is, what are you going to do after you find out his name and address? I get why you're curious, but knowing his name isn't going to help you that much I guess.
Indeed, knowing the name won't help out much, but if you pretended to be a cop (which I'm kind of sure is a crime) to the DMV, then there's no stopping you from coming to the driver and talking about "an investigation"...again, you might get hurt doing that.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Stupot

Yeah, I was just thinking if I could get a name, it might be registered to the company he works for or something (It's brand spanking new, less than 4 months old).  I'm sure he just works around the corner and his boss doesn't like smoking or something legit like that.  It's just weird, and the more he comes, the more I wanna find out... Maybe I could get a DNA sample from his saliva on the floor outside my door, haha.

bicilotti

Quote from: Khris on Thu 05/04/2012 15:43:41

I know a dude who knows a dude who passed some time in prison because he pretended he was a lawyer. Don't risk it, Stu ;)
m0ds advice seems pretty sensible, try it (and let us know!)

Khris

The other solution is to get a hazmat suit and a fake Geiger counter and scare the crap out of him :)

Stupot

Quote from: Khris on Thu 05/04/2012 16:42:46
The other solution is to get a hazmat suit and a fake Geiger counter and scare the crap out of him :)

I do have a Scream Ghostface mask... hmmmmm

Atelier

How long do the fag breaks last, and does he turn back the way he came after he's done? If so, you should totally tail him. If the streets aren't busy you can get a couple of mates to act as buffers; they turn off somewhere along the line, so he may only notice you after you've been following him for a while.

Another idea is to use his smoking to your advantage. Get a friend who smokes, get him to wait round the corner, then when the guy turns up again in his van, your friend can come round after you alert him, and ask for a light. Completely innocent icebreaker, then your friend can ask his questions making polite conversation. What work he does leading to where he works.

Victor6

Either that, or walk up and ask for a cigarette, repeat every day, even if he says no (snout-scroungers are persistant). Give it 2 weeks, he'll get pissed about being tapped for smokes everyday and leave.

Stupot

He's usually there for 3-4 mins, but has been known to sit for a good hour or so. I don't have a car these days, otherwise i'd def be tempted to tail him.

I'm going home to my mums for the next few days so will have to continue my investigations after easter.  If i get back and the house has been broken into, at least ive got a lead, haha. XD

Snarky

Quote from: WHAM on Fri 30/09/2011 11:57:03
Thanks Snarky!  ;D This pleases me, I just hope Cinebook will get more ASAP!

Just an update that Cinebook has now released Running Scared, which is one of the better Tome & Janry albums:

Hopefully part 2 of the story in Valley of the Exiles won't be too long. They've also announced Spirou in Moscow, and I'm crossing my fingers that they'll continue on to my favorite T&J album, the boringly titled Vito la déveine ("Vito the Unlucky"). I actually wrote them an email suggesting they rename it Spirou & Fantasio Sleep with the Fishes, which fits the mafia motif, the diving, and Spirou's "sleeping sickness," and for which the cover fits perfectly:

Anyway, the rate of release suggests Spirou isn't a big seller for Cinebook, so if you have any interest in the series and want to see more of it in English, please order!

m0ds

* m0ds smashes keyboard and swears a lot

Can someone please help me find a link to download MSN messenger that does not download it from the microsoft website?? Please. Or suggest one that I can use that will allow me to login with these details.

I'm on a new PC and yet a-f*****g-gain any attempt to visit a Microsoft webpage tells me

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at windows.microsoft.com.

Check the address for typing errors such as
    ww.example.com instead of
    www.example.com
  If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.
  If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
    that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

WHY WHY WHY this has been happening to me for YEARS on any machine I try and use.

Any help appreciated.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk