Ask something - We can help.

Started by Stupot, Fri 19/12/2008 20:06:21

Previous topic - Next topic

MiteWiseacreLives!

It might be that your LCD screens are made for digital input only and the SNES was an analog output I am pretty certain. Try an older TV.

Khris

Stupot, I'm pretty sure that by "box", Wyz is referring to the SNES itself (you even called it SNES-Box yourself). I also think the SNES is the problem.

If a TV has RCA sockets, it should expect an analog signal, not something else, and thus be able to display at least something resembling an image.
But you can try a SCART adapter, if the TV still has a SCART input.

ManicMatt

Might sound patronising but.. are you aware the snes won't show anything unless a cartridge is inserted? And sometimes the carts get dusty and need "blowing".

Stupot

@Khris - The reason fort confusion over the word 'box' is this piece of advice from my friend over Facebook:

QuoteMaybe you need to plug into the console rather than the box?

Besides, I've got one end in the SNES and one end in the TV. What could he he talking about?

Re: what you said about the TV expecting analog input if it has RCA sockets. I would expect this too, but the sockets come under 'input 4' on my TV's list of possible inputs, and on the TV settings there is no way to change 'input 4' to analog, so I think this is the reason. The only mention of 'analog' on the whole setup is on 'input 5' which is just one socket.

I am going to buy an RF cable and try that instead. If that doesn't work then maybe the SNES is broken, but as things stand I just think it's in the TVs setup.

@Matt - I was a kid in the 80's so blowing into the cartridge is the first thing I tried.

ManicMatt

It's just, in my experience with working with Snes consoles at work, they very rarely had faults, it was always down to the connectors on the games or inside the unit.

portableTaco

I'm also chiming in that it sounds like your snes could be broken.  You said new fangled snes-box? Is it a knock-off? Did it actually come new in a box or was that just a joke? Sorry it may sound stupid but I worked in tech-support so I'm just making sure you actually bought an old snes from somewhere or if you actually bought one of those new fangled knock-off snes-units that they make now.  I can't really comment on those new knock-offs, but an original snes will absolutely work with RCA on a digital TV.   And like Wyz commented, you should be able to plug the sound in (white and red are stereo sound, yellow is for video), and at least hear something if it's working at all.

Also, aren't all RCA inputs analog? My TV is one of those brand new digital-types but it has RCA inputs, and they take whatever RCA stuff I plug into them, old or new. I didn't think it mattered.

It's probably obvious but here's a little handy guide:
http://www.gametrog.com/GAMETROG/HOW_to_connect_Hook_Up_Super_Nintendo_SNES_system_1.html

It's also possible if your unit is used, that your RCA adapter is bad, and not necessarily the snes itself.   Does the snes power light come on?

Stupot

Thanks for the ideas but it's still not working.
It's a real SNES (well, strictly it's a Super Famicom, as I'm in Japan).
It may well be the SNES but I bought it from Hard Off (a recycle shop in Japan and they said it was tested and working, which I want to believe for now. I don't want to take it back to the shop until I can at least eliminate all other factors).

I will buy an RF cable and try that instead. If it still doesn't work then it definitely is a broken SNES, but I really do think it's something else to do with the TV, for now. I think I will take it to work with me tomorrow and try it in the old tv they've got in the office. That will tell me once and for all if Ive bought a dud.

Stupot

Just an update on the Famicom situation. We got it working. Or should I say, it just started working, after we'd taken it back to the shop only for them to deny us a refund because it worked on their TV. So we got it back home, tried again and it worked straight away. It has gone blank again a few times while we've been playing it, leading us to conclude that the video cable is damaged or something. I'll buy a new one and hopefully that will sort it out once and for all :-)

portableTaco

Aha! I suspected a video cable might be it.  When it cuts out during game-play, does it come back on and your game resumes? If so it's definitely gotta be the cable.  If on the other hand when it cuts out you have to restart the system itself, it might be a faulty something-or-other inside the machine which would be something else. 

Snarky

I'm trying to track down a science fiction story I read once.

The story is similar in theme and content to The Forever War, but that's not it. (For one thing, this is a short story.)
Spoiler
It is told from the point of view of a soldier who's stuck in an endless war against an unknown enemy. There's been some kind of rip in space-time, I think, and humanity is trying to fight whatever is on the other side. However, in the no-man's land around this rip, there are time-dilatation effects, so that the closer you get, the slower time passes for you relative to the rest of the world. Hence, for anyone on the front lines, decades or centuries have passed whenever they go on leave, and technological progress keeps supplying ever more powerful weapons. However, they can never get the upper hand over the enemy, who seems to match them step by step. At the end, the soldier is speculating about what the time gradient might mean as you reach the "horizon", and wonders how the war started: for example, a farmer in a field throwing a rock behind his back, only to be hit in return. It's suggested, but never explicitly proposed, that there might not be any enemy, just humanity's own attacks reflected back by some physical anomaly.
[close]

At first I thought it might be Ballard, but I couldn't find it in any of his collections. Now I have no idea; seems like it could be pretty much anyone.

Edit: And literally a few seconds later, I finally find the right Google search ("science fiction time gradient war") to get me the answer: "Traveller's Rest" by David Masson. Available to read here: http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fiction/travellers-rest/

Andail

Nice, Snarky, thanks for the tip.

m0ds

Hi! Does anyone have any experience with FL Studio, music creation? I have an issue, let's say I play a note with a particular instrument in the piano roll. This is fine. But then let's say I want to go over that section again, do not use the same note - but for some reason it overwrites/removes the first note that I played replacing that section of the piano roll with the new recording.

In other software it would never remove/replace notes already there, it would either double them up or of course, providing I didn't play that same note, just write the new data over the top.

If you have any clues as to why this might happen or how to stop it from doing that, please let me know! Thank you :)

Wyz

You need to enable 'Blend recorded notes' from the options menu; or just hit Ctrl+B :)
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

m0ds

Good call, thanks Wyz! Such a simple solution ;D

Tournk

Hello, any suggestion on where can I upload my avatar? I tried Gravatar but Google says it might be hacked so I didn't bother. Also, does the site requires signing up?
Reaction is always funny.

Babar

Quote from: Valent Jaineshon on Tue 06/10/2015 14:12:41
Hello, any suggestion on where can I upload my avatar? I tried Gravatar but Google says it might be hacked so I didn't bother. Also, does the site requires signing up?
Why not try http://imgur.com/ ?
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Tournk

Reaction is always funny.

cat

Has anyone experience with flying to/from London Stansted? I've heard it is not so convenient to get there by public transport, but the flights are super cheap and at convenient times. Is is better to go there by bus or train?

Kumpel

I took the bus several years ago to get to London city center (not fastest but cheapest way). And yes it's really cheap to fly from/to there but it's not that hard to move on from there. It's actually well connected. I guess Ryan Air wants to make it as attractive as possible for more price conscious clients...

Stupot

Mac users:
What's the safest way to uninstall a game from this Mac? They don't seem to have the dedicated uninstall feature that Windows PCs have. I've done a search online and a lot of folks say you can just drag it to the trash can, but I wouldn't dream of doing that in Windows if I could properly uninstall it.

Cheers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk