Secret of Monkey Island - Walking Dead?

Started by monkey0506, Sat 17/01/2009 16:49:12

Previous topic - Next topic

monkey0506

I was pretty certain I knew all there was to know about this game as it is my most favoritest game of all time. But last night I started a speed run just for fun to see how fast I could beat the game...and I think I locked myself into a walking dead situation that I wasn't aware was even possible.

In Part Two: The Journey when you have to make the stew, I rampantly dumped every inventory item I could into the pot...except it blew up before I could add the Minutes of the last meeting of the Mêlée Islandâ,,¢ PTA.

Now I find myself at a point where I have no flame fodder...Guybrush refuses to light the cereal, he says the minutes can't be used, using the fire just burns his hands, and he for some reason doesn't want to ignite the gunpowder.

I tried taking the fuse back out of the cannon but it apparently just reforms itself with the giant piece of rope.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I've checked several walkthroughs, but none of them have provided any insight on my situation.

Worst case scenario, I just do it all again... :-\

Trent R

It's been forever since I've played.... but I'm trying to remember some of the items you have. Map to Melee Island Treasure(which actually, I know you can skip buying), pamphlets, business card...

I assume you have the pot-helmet? Perhaps he doesn't want to light anything if he can't get into the cannon?

~Trent
To give back to the AGS community, I can get you free, full versions of commercial software. Recently, Paint Shop Pro X, and eXPert PDF Pro 6. Please PM me for details.

Current Project: The Wanderer
On Hold: Hero of the Rune

Snarky

Can't you pick things out from the stew? I seem to remember that you can.

monkey0506

You can only take things out of the stew in the SCUMM Bar. Not on the Sea Monkey.

As far as the things I have...I threw everything that I could except the Minutes into the pot. I have the cannon prepped and ready to go, I've got the pot, but he seems reluctant to ignite "perfectly good food." :-\

It's funny because I seemed to recall that you could light the cereal on fire...

DanielH

:-\
You threw in everything? IIRC, there is a walking dead scenario there. I always used the feather or bookmark to ignite. Seems you've got to load, sorry. :'(

I'm  guessing you didn't save much (or at all) during your speed run, am I right?

OneDollar

Ok, I've now played up to that point ;)

Spoiler

Go into the captain's cabin and open the draw on the left of the desk. Look in it to get the log book. Go to the kitchen and use the log book in the fire
[close]

Guybrush refuses to light the minutes for me, before or after putting things in the pot, because I can't actually use them with anything. Seen as you don't have to get the minutes (you can accept them for 2 pieces of eight) there has to be another source of fire.

Spoiler

Oh, and as DanielH suggests, the feather pen from the captain's cabin also works
[close]

monkey0506

You people underestimate my meaning of "everything".... ::)

There is literally nothing on the ship left that Guybrush will pick up, except for the kegs of neverending gun powder.

In any case, it didn't take me long to get there...it's just bothersome having to start over! :P

Ryan Timothy B

I'm really not certain you're in a walking dead moment in Monkey Island.  My brother a few months back had played it and also, since he's already beat it, was curious to see what he could put in the pot.  He literally tossed in everything you could possibly imagine, just as you have.

Then once he was sitting outside the island after the pot exploded, it took him hours to figure out why he couldn't use the cannon.  I think after you put the gun powder in it and the fuse, you have to have the fire in your possession (can't remember what you burn to do this), and you click the helmet on the cannon.  Although I may be wrong.

OneDollar

Ok, I'm really trying to prove this isn't a walking dead...
Spoiler
I literally went through my entire inventory, trying to put everything in the pot. Yeah, that includes the diary I mentioned before, and also the feather pen. However Guybrush wouldn't put the map to the Melee island treasure/dancing lessons in because he'd paid good money for them.

After the pot explodes I can use them with the fire because "Come to think of it, they're just dancing lessons"
[close]

Not working for you?

monkey0506

Yes Ryan, getting the fire is the problem here. :P

And sorry $1, never bought the map!!!

ManicMatt

The reason I find it hard to believe it's a walking dead is because it seems like the first report of it since the game was released in, what, 1991?  :-\

Trihan

Have you tried opening the cereal? I'm not sure that's any help but I distinctly remember that there's something in the cereal box.

lo_res_man

Well. . .
There is another walking dead, in that you can put all your money in the broken grog machine before you buy the sword and the shovel, and your in dead man walking.
†Å"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.†
The Restroom Wall

Radiant

Quote from: lo_res_man on Mon 19/01/2009 02:55:56
Well. . .
There is another walking dead, in that you can put all your money in the broken grog machine before you buy the sword and the shovel, and your in dead man walking.

I'm reasonably sure you can't do that; the machine will break down before you get that far.

OneDollar

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Sun 18/01/2009 18:04:43
never bought the map!!!

But... but... but...

Guybrush wouldn't let me into the woods to search for the treasure without the map. How did you get around that one?
Spoiler
Follow the shopkeeper, then leave him?
[close]
Edit:
Ah yes, that works. Yeah, you've convinced me.

Laukku

Quote from: Radiant on Mon 19/01/2009 08:46:07
Quote from: lo_res_man on Mon 19/01/2009 02:55:56
Well. . .

I'm reasonably sure you can't do that; the machine will break down before you get that far.

OR you could give all of your money to Otis.
You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
>WIN GAME
Congratulations! You just won! You got 0 out of 500 points.

OneDollar

I *think* there's 480 pieces of eight in the first part of the game, of which you can spend 276 on useful things. If you sit there putting 204 coins into the drinks machine, or Otis' pockets, you deserve an unwinnable situation ;)

monkey0506

It doesn't take that long to beat the game...ultimately I started over. But yes OneDollar, that's how I've always gotten to the Sword Master's house. Except I always followed through, I didn't drop out early....

I just honestly wasn't aware it was even a possibility to incur a walking dead here.

And in my play-through, I did discover some fun things. On the Sea Monkey in the crew quarters, there's a walk behind area that won't cover everything it should. And also, it's possible to make the shopkeeper walk to the safe without using the stairs (and thereby ignoring the scaling)...but I won't tell how! ;D

Spoiler
I believe I was mashing escape to try and make him shut up...or something like that!
[close]

rbaleksandar

Quote from: OneDollar on Mon 19/01/2009 10:55:19
Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Sun 18/01/2009 18:04:43
never bought the map!!!

But... but... but...

Guybrush wouldn't let me into the woods to search for the treasure without the map. How did you get around that one?
Spoiler
Follow the shopkeeper, then leave him?
[close]
Edit:
Ah yes, that works. Yeah, you've convinced me.

And another thing to add - if you've played this game as many times as I had, you'd have solved all puzzles in your head before the end of the intro  ;D ;D ;D
I am a mighty pirate. Arrrrgh!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk