Author Topic: What's the best way to start with RoN?  (Read 1414 times)

Monsieur OUXX

• Cavefish
  • Mittens Vassal
  • Mittens Half Initiate
    • I can help with proof reading
    •  
    • I can help with translating
    •  
    • I can help with voice acting
    •  
What's the best way to start with RoN?
« on: 18 Dec 2013, 10:52 »
Some time ago, through quick readings, I finally understood more or less what RoN was about, and decided to give it a go.
I ended up in some sort of open-world game (one gazillion locations) and the interface was... oh my god. Not just "watch", "see" and "talk", not even the 9-verb GUI... But instead tens and tens of possible actions on each object. It scared me I must say. I had no idea what I needed to do. I have no idea if it was only that RoN game I picked randomly, or if all games have that interface.

So what's the best RoN game to start with? The less intimidating, and most enjoyable?
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2013, 11:03 by Monsieur OUXX »

Renegade Implementor

• Local Moderator
  • Hunting Ur-grues
Re: What's the best way to start with RoN?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2013, 03:02 »
Out of curiosity, which game was it that so traumatized you?

As for a starting point, I'd usually say pick one that looks interesting and jump in, but that seems to have had disturbing results :).

You could take a look at Purity of the Surf by Dave Gilbert.  It's a stand alone and thus doesn't require an in-depth knowledge of the universe or characters.

CosmoQueen

• I can help with play testing
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #2 on: 26 Dec 2013, 04:20 »
I would start with the first one and go from there. Once you immerse yourself in the crazy dysfunctional world of RoN you'll never wanna leave! :grin:
KPop and AGS....................that is my life.

Monsieur OUXX

• Cavefish
  • Mittens Vassal
  • Mittens Half Initiate
    •  
    • I can help with translating
    •  
    •  
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2014, 15:00 »
Thanks for the suggestion, people! At the moment I made the huge mistake of trying out Heroine's Quest (now I'm good for hours and hours of great gaming), but as soon as I have some free time again I'll try RoN again.

Retro Wolf

• Blessed are the gamers...
    • Retro Wolf worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2014, 12:13 »
To prepare for my first RON game. I played the first three, then a few random games that looked interesting.

I read the resources and FAQ section of the website, looked at the map and the timelines.

I then read the biographies of characters that looked interesting, and ones that I thought were major RON characters. I read the descriptions of the games that these characters featured in.

Then jump in!